Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RambOrc

Korax Mod is back!

Just from the images I can already tell that I'm gonna have a fun time playing this! I'm gonna play it later though.

I remember playing this on JDoom (I think?) yeeeeeeeears ago. I looked for a few times through the years but it was always difficult to find. It's really cool to see a new version.

Below is a recording of a full playthrough of the Hexen Campaign with RPG complexity set to Old school.

Note: if you watch it directly on Youtube, the description includes 40+ timelinks so you can skip to the parts you are interested in.

The video below demonstrates the "pistol start" feature of Korax Mod 5: you set up your character, then warp to the start of a later hub, and take it from there. No cheating required, as you are outfitted with an assortment of weapons, quartz flasks and armor when spawning.

Well, I've been playing this mod for a bit and I think this is a very much unrefined gem. When you start, you are really surprised by the sheer quality of what you see.

Sadly, gameplay becomes disappointing. I think that none of the issues I'll be pointing are unfixable, but what I’ll be pointing warrant a fixing.

I played Fighter for my game, because I like the feeling of having a powerful tank mowing down stuff. The experience did not match my expectation.

Let’s start the game, but first, let’s read the manual:

1) When you start the game, after reading the manual, you’re suggested to just go with default build.

You can roll, even if it is unadvised for the first time player.

Do I agree? No. Rolls are unadvised because there is a total lack of informations on which which values can be reached by each attribute with rolling. What are the max values I can reach by rolling in every attribute??

2) Manual should provide some images with different “builds” rolled that explains why certain rolls would be good.

3) The manual lacks critical info on what is a good total roll and how attributes impacts your own build.

Let’s make an example. If I choose default build for fighter, I get:
10 Constitution, 80 health.

I roll: 12 on my constitution and 72 health. Is it better? I don’t know, because there is no reference on how much constitution impacts my fighter.

4) Are attributes retroactive? Manual suggest to add constitution at game’s beginning, otherwise I’ll be impaired for whole game. So, I take none of the attributes are retroactive? Personally, I hope that for fighter, given that he plays melee, constitution is retroactive.

5) Do attributes work the same for different classes? For example, +1 Constitution on the fighter works exactly as +1 constitution on the mage? How much +1 constitution impacts on the build?

The issues above are lack of descriptions and informations.  Now I’m going into the gameplay stuff.

6) When you enter Seven Portals, you meet the other two characters helping you, if “help” can be called what they do. You are the fighter, a melee npc. Imagine how amazing feels to have companions that help you clearing the hub, by making you unable to actually clean it yourself.
In fact, if you try to kill the enemies in the hub with them, they will kill you with their weapons or projectiles.

I rephrase if it was not clear: when you enter a new hub, you have to watch them clear stuff, otherwise if you try to kill stuff on melee, you are going to get killed by your companions.

7) When you enter rooms full of monsters, you can experience the most rage inducing thing I’ve ever seen: your screen turning red because you are being hit by monsters, making you unable to see. This alone made me quit the mod, because it feels like no one has played Fighter to this day not to notice this issue.

Not only it is ridicolous but it actually promotes bad gameplay. When the screen is red, you are encouraged to just leave your left mouse click pushed, hoping to catch someone, because you see nothing. And you start to have it as an habit too.

If you can’t believe how bad it is, I made many videos. These are three videos:

link 1: https://streamable.com/o5m856
link 2: https://streamable.com/dtc72j
link 3: https://streamable.com/j6u24i

This red screen makes the whole mod unplayable for fighter.

7) Note that I would like for the Berserker rage to have the red screen disabled too.

8) Add an option to disable the autouse of items when you’re near death.  

Edited by Mangudai

On 2/16/2021 at 11:20 AM, Mangudai said:

What are the max values I can reach by rolling in every attribute??

The source code is located at https://sourceforge.net/p/korax/krpg-txt/ci/master/tree/kmod5/pk3s/basepak/progs/cgame/KRPGMenuScreenCharacter.vc , the function you are looking for is void RerollStats(Object Sender)

The formula is fairly straightforward:

1. there are min and max values for the ability scores
  2. health is a fixed number (differing by class) minus the sum of Strength, Dexterity and Constitution
  3. spirit power is a number between 3 and 5 for the fighter and 80 minus health for the other classes

Let’s make an example. If I choose default build for fighter, I get:

10 Constitution, 80 health.

I roll: 12 on my constitution and 72 health. Is it better? I don’t know, because there is no reference on how much constitution impacts my fighter.

The second build will give you a higher maximum health in the long run, but not by much. Remember, we are talking about a difference of 2 points in Constitution and you receive somewhere between 3 and 9 points every time you level up.

4) Are attributes retroactive? Manual suggest to add constitution at game’s beginning, otherwise I’ll be impaired for whole game. So, I take none of the attributes are retroactive? Personally, I hope that for fighter, given that he plays melee, constitution is retroactive.

None of the ability scores are retroactive, everything is calculated real-time with the current values. The one special behaviour of Constitution is that when leveling up, it determines by how many points your maximum health will increase. This is a conscious design decision, resulting in meaningful choices early on.

5) Do attributes work the same for different classes? For example, +1 Constitution on the fighter works exactly as +1 constitution on the mage? How much +1 constitution impacts on the build?

Constitution increases health points by the same amount for each class; there are however minimum values built in to safeguard against very low Constitution builds (the fighter's health will increase at least by 3 every time he levels up, while the mage's health will increase by at least one point).

6) When you enter Seven Portals, you meet the other two characters helping you, if “help” can be called what they do. You are the fighter, a melee npc. Imagine how amazing feels to have companions that help you clearing the hub, by making you unable to actually clean it yourself.

In fact, if you try to kill the enemies in the hub with them, they will kill you with their weapons or projectiles.

Friendly fire is probably too strong in KMOD 5.0 and will probably be tuned down in 5.1. However, the fact that they kill all the monsters in the area they camp is a feature: if you are low on health or ammo, you can run to them and let them kill your attackers. Indeed, if you have the patience for it, you'll see that they will kill indeed everything in the areas they camp... this includes the end boss Korax.

On the other hand, the area they camp in most hubs contains maybe 1% of the monsters in that hub. It's not a significant chunk of EXP you lose out on, especially since you also receive EXP for quests and exploration.

7) When you enter rooms full of monsters, you can experience the most rage inducing thing I’ve ever seen: your screen turning red because you are being hit by monsters, making you unable to see. This alone made me quit the mod, because it feels like no one has played Fighter to this day not to notice this issue.

There are basically two ways to play the fighter: you enrage like a berserker, charge into a room and blindly flail around, hoping to smash everything and everyone, or you play like a trained soldier, not engaging everything at once and using cover.

Your videos show you trying the first playstyle, for which you should do a build with constitution and strength only - just forget about the other ability scores once you raised wisdom at least to 5 (below that, mana usage is extremely punitive).

7) Note that I would like for the Berserker rage to have the red screen disabled too.

It has been tuned way down acting on player feedback a few years ago. The current tint level is the minimum tradeoff we are willing to accept for an ability that's nearly always available and doubles your speed and your power.

8) Add an option to disable the autouse of items when you’re near death.

This is already in the main KRPG code branch and will be added to KMOD 5.1 as well.

Okay, first of all, thanks for the detailed reply.

1) The fighter shown in the videos had only constitution pumped for 5 levels straight. Now the question is: will you add an option to disable the red screen when being hit for 5.1? That's the main reason that made me quit Korax Mod.

2) "health is a fixed number (differing by class) minus the sum of Strength, Dexterity and Constitution". This is only for the game's beginning, right?

3) "and you receive somewhere between 3 and 9 points every time you level up". Please explain this better. Does that mean that rolls could fuck me up, even if I pump constitution only? I would expect rolls to be fixed, to prevent the player desire to maximise the net gain just by reloading the game after having levelled up.

I'll be waiting for Kmod 5.1.

Edited by Mangudai

On 2/18/2021 at 10:42 AM, Mangudai said:

will you add an option to disable the red screen when being hit for 5.1?

The red flash itself is an original Hexen feature, it could be that in KMOD the effect is set as additive and so mulitple hits within a short time blind the player. Will take a look at the code.

"health is a fixed number (differing by class) minus the sum of Strength, Dexterity and Constitution". This is only for the game's beginning, right?

Yes, this is for the initial roll - if the total wouldn't be a fixed number, people might be stuck on that screen for hours, trying to get the elusive perfect roll.

"and you receive somewhere between 3 and 9 points every time you level up". Please explain this better. Does that mean that rolls could fuck me up, even if I pump constitution only? I would expect rolls to be fixed, to prevent the player desire to maximise the net gain just by reloading the game after having levelled up.

The number of points you receive depend on the RPG Complexity setting; on Old School, they are further influenced by the difficulty setting. Within a given playthrough, they are the same number at every levelup.

Thanks for giving a thought about the red screen. I'll be honest, I'm going to still ask you to add an option to actually disable it ;)

I'll wait for your mod. It was nice to read what I read about the hp.

By the way,

1) am I wrong or the standard rpg complexity has only 5 levers compared to the 7 in the hub that are supposed to be there? I would like to still explore everything and get my juicy xp :P
2) 
Also the shot by the black gargoyle are a little too speedy in the ultraviolence difficulty. Dunno if they are the same in third difficulty, but worth noting, I guess.

Edited by Mangudai

8 hours ago, RambOrc said:

it could be that in KMOD the effect is set as additive and so mulitple hits within a short time blind the player

i am pretty sure that this code is common for all games in Vavoom, and if KMOD took it as is, then it is really cumulative, and getting alot of damage in short time will turn the screen black red, yeah. in Vavoom, if is `PlayerEx.DamageFlash` fleld, and `PlayerEx.PaletteFlash()` method. you can simply clamp the resulting blend there.

18 hours ago, Mangudai said:

am I wrong or the standard rpg complexity has only 5 levers compared to the 7 in the hub that are supposed to be there? I would like to still explore everything and get my juicy xp :P

Given the shortcuts, some (many) levers lost their functionality. Even though unnecessary, on Old School they remain because they award EXP. However, on Standard RPG Complexity you only get EXP for kills and quests, so there is no reason to keep those vestigial switches around.

18 hours ago, Mangudai said:

Also the shot by the black gargoyle are a little too speedy in the ultraviolence difficulty. Dunno if they are the same in third difficulty, but worth noting, I guess.

If you are talking about Nightmare, to start a game at that difficulty requires to say "yes" to the question whether you are OK with all monsters moving, casting and attacking much faster than on the Hard difficulty setting. :p

14 hours ago, ketmar said:

`PlayerEx.DamageFlash` fleld, and `PlayerEx.PaletteFlash()` method

Thanks for the tip, should cut down on the time needed to modify this.

I said Ultraviolence difficulty, I meant hard difficulty in hexen. 

So I will rephrase my questions:
1) I think black gargoyles have projectiles that are a little too fast on hard difficulty. Has anyone else noticed this/complained about this? Just wondering.
2) Are gargoyles' projectiles slower at medium difficulty?
3) Do monsters level up (as getting tougher within the levels), or have they fixed stats, so when you get strong enough, you can always 1-shot them, as a true RPG?

Edited by Mangudai

On 2/24/2021 at 9:10 PM, Mangudai said:

I think black gargoyles have projectiles that are a little too fast on hard difficulty.

The projectiles travel at the original speed, however there are more of them and if the afrits are enraged, they'll throw them faster.

On 2/24/2021 at 9:10 PM, Mangudai said:

Do monsters have fixed stats, so when you get strong enough, you can always 1-shot them, as a true RPG?

Yes.

I'm still out there looking forward to playing this ;) I've not forgot and I check almost daily :P

Nice new table. That's exactly what I was looking for :)

1) I have to ask: would it be possible to release a KMOD lite that can be used with any wad out there? I'm feeling like I cannot play anymore some of the tougher wads, because I can't feel any sense of progression. Basically, you ruined and improved my enjoyment of the game at the same time. Can you give it a thought about releasing a lite version?

2) Does multiplayer work and do you recommend it? Is xp shared?

Edited by Mangudai

Korax Mod 5.1 is now available on SourceForge and ModDB.

kmod51.jpg.f6235f96c2bcce59ac52e7813128bdac.jpg

Character creation improvements

• The character creation process has been overhauled: rerolls are now standardized across classes, with the sum total of all attributes always the same
  • When RPG Complexity is set to off, the roll screen is disabled and the starting attribute values are significantly higher, avoiding the gimped attributes in the early game

Sidekick improvements

• Sidekick NPCs attacks and spells don't damage the player any more
  • The experience from monsters killed by a sidekick NPC now goes to the player
  • On Old school RPG Complexity, this experience gain is dependent on difficulty setting: on hard, you only get half the experience than if you'd have killed the monster yourself; on easy, you get double the amount

Player tuning

• The Phalanx martial skill now allows the player to move slowly; in turn, its cost has been increased and its duration decreased
  • Spirits Within behaviour optimized and the feedback message now makes clear what exactly happened
  • Armor kits now restore 25% more durability
  • Animated weapons now react more quickly to player input, most notable the Mage's Thunderstaff
  • Player's Fireball spell damage slightly increased

Monster tuning

• Dark Advisors don't resurrect on death any more
  • Ettin Commander's hammer throw now lights up the monster, giving a visual cue he's about to throw a hammer
  • Ettin Commander's hammer damage greatly reduced
  • Lava Dweller's damage damage greatly reduced
  • Ranged animation timings have been modified for some ettin and class boss types

New options

• Options submenus have been reshuffled and a new section introduced (visual options)
  • You can now separately enable and disable screen flashes on damage, screen flashes on item pickup and screen tint effects from other sources (like berserking, being poisoned or under the effects of mana burn)
  • The sound effects of class abilites can now be switched on and off
  • In addition to the on/off switch for the automatic use of health potions, there is now a second setting (autohealth cooldown) to determine whether to use only one potion per damage trigger

Miscellaneous improvements

• Like Scattered Evil 2.0, KMOD 5.1 is shipping with the latest Vavoom 1.34 release (GNU/Linux binaries are already 64-bit, Windows 64-bit binaries will be added in a future release)
  • Ported improvements from Scattered Evil 2.0 (mostly autohealth and berserking related)
  • Heresiarch damage skin visuals added
  • Lowered the upper limit on the sum of red and green screen tint effects and the strength of damage flashes
  • The distribution now includes the full Vavoom documentation as PDF files

I would have never expected that much of the feedback that I made would be actually translated in changes of the mod itself.

Thank you, really, thank you a lot. By the way

1) can you buy the potions that improve attributes here ?
2) Barathus weapons: hammer and the sword also have also a ranged attack. Do STR improvement only count towards their melee attack or also toward the "ranged" attack of these two weapons?

3) Korax mod 5.1:  Clicking on kmod5.bat gives me this error, so Hexen doesn't even load.

error.png.20c2ba885811ff81570e89a2f0abd363.png

Edited by Mangudai

I'm having some issues. Both in fullscreen and windowed mode, if I alt-tab away from the window I lose mouselook, the mouse reverts to moving the character. I assume this is an engine problem, but I've tried everything and could not fix it. Any ideas?

Also, are savegames from 5.0 compatible with 5.1? lol

6 hours ago, Albertoni said:

I'm having some issues. Both in fullscreen and windowed mode, if I alt-tab away from the window I lose mouselook, the mouse reverts to moving the character. I assume this is an engine problem, but I've tried everything and could not fix it. Any ideas?

Also, are savegames from 5.0 compatible with 5.1? lol

click alt and the mouselook will work again - The manual has informations about this and other things

For the savegame, I don't know.

Ah, well, sorry and thanks at the same time, guess I should've read the manual with more attention lol

And well, nothing that should be stored in a savegame seems to be in the changelog, but who knows how Vavoom works. I might give it a try, but since Vavoom was also updated in this release, I'm not really holding my breath that everything will just work.

On 3/29/2021 at 9:28 AM, Mangudai said:

Barathus weapons: hammer and the sword also have also a ranged attack. Do STR improvement only count towards their melee attack or also toward the "ranged" attack of these two weapons?

Quoted from https://www.koraxheritage.com/korax-mod/manual/#Starting_Ability_Scores

• Strength: Increases the power of melee (physical) attacks. Increases movement speed.
  • Dexterity: Increases the power of ranged (physical) attacks. Increases the speed of physical attacks (melee and ranged). Increases casting speed.
On 3/29/2021 at 9:28 AM, Mangudai said:

Korax mod 5.1:  Clicking on kmod5.bat gives me this error, so Hexen doesn't even load.

Hide contents

error.png.20c2ba885811ff81570e89a2f0abd363.png

Could be either hexen.wad or textures.pk3 being corrupted (or missing).

18 hours ago, Albertoni said:

Quoted from https://www.koraxheritage.com/korax-mod/manual/#Troubleshooting

Mouselook stops working after Alt+Tabbing out of the game and back in

Once the game window is in focus again, press the Alt key and mouselook should start working again.

18 hours ago, Albertoni said:

Also, are savegames from 5.0 compatible with 5.1?

Generally yes, but 100% guaranteed to not have issues are only savegames in camp. Savegame limitations on maps you entered at least once are not specific to Vavoom, ZDOOM or any other port, this is how the WAD map format works.

New gameplay video: watch the Fighter hack and slash his way from Winnowing Hall to the Necropolis in less than 20 minutes.

I just gotta say I *loved* Korax mod back in the day. I remember it having a JDoom dependency or something? In any case, fuck yeah Korax mod. Maybe if I play with it I'll actually finish Hexen properly for the first time in my life.

2 minutes ago, xvertigox said:

I just gotta say I *loved* Korax mod back in the day. I remember it having a JDoom dependency or something?

Yes, up to 3.0 beta KMOD used jHexen.

2 minutes ago, xvertigox said:

Maybe if I play with it I'll actually finish Hexen properly for the first time in my life.

The first time I played Hexen in 1995, I got stuck on the badly designed Guardian of Steel puzzle (adding a feedback message to it was one of the script modifications in KMOD 5.0). After hours of running around frustrated, I dropped the game for months and went back to Heretic. It was only a year later that I finally got through that horrible first hub and when I entered Shadow Wood, my opinion of the game drastically changed, as the second hub has the best dark fantasy imagery of any 3D game from the DOS era. This is one of the reasons why you don't need to solve a single puzzle when playing on RPG Complexity Off, you just wait 30 seconds for the final portal to open so you can leave the worst design mistakes of the game behind and proceed to the actual good parts.

So, how do you think I should fix the issue? I mean, I download the archive from the websites (tried both one from moddb and the one from Sourceforge) and put my hexen.wad on the folder, but it doesn't load correctly.

Edit: fixed by doing the following:

1) Downloaded korax mod 5 and extracted it into a folder.
2) Downloaded Korax mod 5.1 and extracted it into the folder of the korax mod 5.

Seems to work. 

Some requests:

1) Would it be possible to improve the red screen when being hit? I tried to play without the red screen thanks to the new visual option, but the lack of feedback when getting hit is not that great.

Start hexen, put it on titan difficulty, go in the middle of the ettins and see how much "red" you get on the screen.

I never remember being blinded by hexen even when being hit very hard - that's the issue I loathe about the current implementation inside korax of the red screen when being hit.

2) There is definitely something odd going on with the 7 portal puzzle. First of all, I finished all of it, but even if I read "the stones are grinding", the stone didn't collapse. I didn't care, I went in with noclip. Now I'm facing another issue, though. I cannot put the red gem on the shrine. [playing on standard rpg difficulty]

3) Pistol Start doesn't work anymore. You get teleported, but you don't get any weapon.

4) When you find the emerald key (in the place where there is the column) sometimes the door on the left of the lever goes down (and you teleport to the place with gold bar and the urn), sometimes it doesn't. Is there an explanation anywhere?

5) Can you add potions in the shop? Like potion of STR, Dex, and so on?

6) You know, part of me would like to ask if you could make an option in the setting to make Constitution and charisma retroactive. 

7) Got a super great roll for Warrior, but given that I play dead no dead, I'm feeling sad I cannot use it anymore. 
It was 12/12/10/3/1/4 . Battle rage: 8 

Let the player subtract health for more points :P - Customization please :D

8) let the player save the roll too, if possible.

Edited by Mangudai

Sidekicks have been buffed in Korax Mod 5.1 and this uncut recording shows how they kill Korax and all minions in the Dark Crucible in less than 6 minutes, with you just hanging back, watching, and gaining experience worth over a dozen levels.

1) Met a bug: I've been using barathus (warrior), but when I go in the camp, I meet barathus there, rather than the cleric. And Barathus has no dialogue. I'm playing with rpg rules - standard. Medium difficulty.

Bug seems to be reproduceable. Just start a new game and use noclip to go straight to the portal in the first level, until it appears.

2) I would tone down the cost of the chaos device a bit, from 30 to 25/20, so it would be possible to play no reload with a bit more safety.

3) Currently, selling is not as fast as it could be:

a) You're supposed to sell things one by one. Would it be possible to add bulk selling (5 items at once)?
b) Another way would be making it so that after selling you're not going back to the main menu, you just stay in the menu itself until you say goodbye or go to the old menu.

4) Is intelligence useless for warriors? After all, they have martial skills, but intelligence makes a reference to spells. Let me know.

5) Which monsters can get summoned by the mage? No description inside the manual. I feel like they shouldn't turn on you and they should "improve" according to stats.

6) What about adding levitation to the mage?

7) Would it be possible to add a max roll option, so that I get the best rolls at the expense of health? I would love an option to have maxed stats with minimal hp (so in the case of fighter, all 12 + 4 on mental stats + 8 for battle rage + 64 health). Same for the other classes.

8) Seven portal hub: can you make the first portal appear instantly, rather than having to wait for who knows what? I'm referring to the portal where you can find an armorer hammer on its left. That portal brings you to a place with a ladder where you fight some monsters, use the lever and right after, you are supposed to go to the column that has a lightning sword pointing to it.

Edited by Mangudai

Korax Mod: 20th Anniversary Edition

Korax Mod 5.2 is now available on SourceForge and ModDB.

kmod52shot.jpg.7c239b14019a31fa5af31abe1e1cb656.jpg

Korax Mod 1.0, the first ever gameplay mod for Hexen, was released exactly twenty years ago on June 14, 2001. To celebrate this occasion, a special 20th Anniversary Edition has been released today that includes a unique in-game menu called "Anniversary Extras", containing a short history of Korax Mod, a long-lost interview, and player feedback from the early years.

Improvements and fixes:

• The inventory and spellstrip movement bug has been finally fixed
  • When RPG Complexity is set to Off, instead of the useless weight/hunger/fatigue indicators a new overlay is shown, displaying the current values of all six D&D abilities
  • Healing prayer now doesn't deduct Faith if the player is at full health
  • Create Mana cantrip now doesn't deduct Magic if the player has full mana stores
  • The default roll is now more suitable for the early game
  • Feedback messages for class abilities are now always displayed in the top left corner
  • All class abilities now respect the sound setting
  • Improved the behaviour of the gimme cheats for gaining levels and acquiring all class abilities