Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
watto3699

Change Intermission Map Names

Question

I really struggle with this stuff, I need help changing maps names in the intermission screen. 
It's for a very simple 3 level .WAD I'm making. 
I literally just need the map names changed.

8 answers to this question

If you're aiming for vanilla compatibility, I think the usual way to do that is with a Dehacked patch. You'll have to look that up. MAPINFO can serve the same purpose for modern ports like ZDoom and others. (And it's one reason why I like Hexen mapping since MAPINFO is vanilla.)

There was an utility called DoomWord (on Miscellaneous), that allowed you to create text paragraphs in bitmap format using the Doom font, but it is no longer available. For now you have to do it manually on your image editor of choice, using whatever font you want (or exporting letter graphics from Doom/Doom2 iwads), then import it with Slade3, convert your graphic to doom format, and rename it CWILV00-CWILV31 (for maps 01-32 respectively).

This is for ports with no MAPINFO support, if you're aiming for those, just use MAPINFO instead, as it does it automatically.

21 hours ago, Rainne said:

If you're aiming for vanilla compatibility, I think the usual way to do that is with a Dehacked patch.

Then how was it done in the 90s before Dehacked was a thing? I know you simply have to replace the intermission screen texture, just don't know how to change the names of the maps on top of it. But Requiem and Hell Revealed don't use Dehacked for that, do they? 

Just by using the actual text graphics (the text isn't dynamically composed, probably due to the processing cost back then, but is instead static images). CWILV00 and so on. Use the text generator I linked set to 'menu graphics' and left with the color white and save the image with the file name "CWILV" and then the corresponding number to the map (i.e. have graphic CWILV01 for MAP01).