Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mewse

Ingrates!! I'll Show You Mockery!

I was on the first Mockery team, so I'm following the progress of Mock 2: The Speed of Stupid pretty closely. I sent them my original Mockery map, since we all know it's the ultimate irony that Mockery will never be released. Strangely, they don't seem to like my map, and it's doubtful that it will be included. Thats right, my map is too bad even for Mockery. Anyways, Lut has joined their team and they have a new forum for you to voice your stupidity. Work continues apace..

Heh, I want to see it. :D
Because it can't be worser than my map for mock2

Now that this has been dragged out into the open . . . it's not that the map is too bad. The monster balance is actually pretty good (except for the cyberdemon room). There's a bunch of hellknights and enough rockets to deal with them, a bunch of imps and a couple of archviles to make it challenging. That's the problem.
If it was entirely populated by archviles, that would be funny.

Also, mock 2 isn't so much a mockery of bad maps and mappers, it's an attempt to have fun abusing every single doom and zdoom feature we can think of. Mewse's map is a good tribute to bad maps (and actually a pretty accurate representation) but we're looking for really screwed up stuff, and with not so many empty spots left I personally am getting a little picky.
Here are some examples of bizarre stuff we have:
1. A room full of 64x64 lifts, making it almost impossible to move from one side to another.
2. A gladiator arena that "rains" monsters and weapons.
3. A map where every single sector is sloped.
4. A maze, where every wall is "secret" and can not be viewed in the map, plus all the textures are black, the light is at level 32, and you have spectres to deal with.
5. A map where every sector is secret, and every wall is scrolling.

Originality is the key here. But anything that makes me laugh out loud is pretty much guaranteed to make it in.

Remember, there are a lot of doom and zdoom features. And any feature can be done badly.

Hyena said:

Now that this has been dragged out into the open . . . it's not that the map is too bad. The monster balance is actually pretty good (except for the cyberdemon room). There's a bunch of hellknights and enough rockets to deal with them, a bunch of imps and a couple of archviles to make it challenging. That's the problem.
If it was entirely populated by archviles, that would be funny.

Also, mock 2 isn't so much a mockery of bad maps and mappers, it's an attempt to have fun abusing every single doom and zdoom feature we can think of. Mewse's map is a good tribute to bad maps (and actually a pretty accurate representation) but we're looking for really screwed up stuff, and with not so many empty spots left I personally am getting a little picky.
1. A room full of 64x64 lifts, making it almost impossible to move from one side to another.
4. A maze, where every wall is "secret" and can not be viewed in the map, plus all the textures are black, the light is at level 32, and you have spectres to deal with.

Originality is the key here. But anything that makes me laugh out loud is pretty much guaranteed to make it in.

Remember, there are a lot of doom and zdoom features. And any feature can be done badly.

Cheap. The real challenge is making really really horrible maps that can actually be played from start to finish with 100% kills, secrets, and items possible.

In short, extremely fun, playable, but horrible, stupid and funny at the same time.

Hyena said:

Sounds fun...

stphrz said:

Cheap. The real challenge is making really really horrible maps that can actually be played from start to finish with 100% kills, secrets, and items possible.

In short, extremely fun, playable, but horrible, stupid and funny at the same time.

All of the maps are possible, although in many cases 100% kills isn't. Our #1 priority is making them funny, and I think they all do that well. Some are way too difficult, others are very easy. Some hurt your eyes, some are very plain. Some are fun, others are annoying. But they're all funny.

We try to set limits on how annoying they are, though. We want them to be enjoyable. And as amusing as it is to make a square room with no exit and a floor that gives 1% damage until the player dies, it would be very frustrating.

If you still think it's cheap, do a better one and I'll look forward to playing it. :)

I finally found a place to download "the sky may be" (as reviewed on somethingawful.com) and I have to say that's one of the most interesting/funny/irritating/why would god allow this to exist .wads I've ever played. The mockey team could take some lessons from that thing...and now I wanna go play it some more.

Jello said:

I finally found a place to download "the sky may be" (as reviewed on somethingawful.com) and I have to say that's one of the most interesting/funny/irritating/why would god allow this to exist .wads I've ever played. The mockey team could take some lessons from that thing...and now I wanna go play it some more.

Heh, someone asked about the worst wad ever a few months ago and Ling replied with a complete review of "The Sky May Be," complete with screenshots, before SA even thought to review it.

The Sky May Be is bad. Bad bad bad bad bad. It's practially unplayable, especially if you use the dehacked patch. Well actually it is unplayable. At least I couldn't play it. I tried making a bad wad last night. It turned out pretty bad, but I couldn't make it that bad.

Making bad wads is kinda hard actually.

I once tried to modify Dead Simple out of boredom. I ended up completly fucking up the map within 1 minute. I guess WAD making isn't my thing.

Okay, I just checked that link to sky may be, and it seems to be working now. So any masochists out there that wanna play can do so now.

Did anyone see or remember maps 6 and 7 of Rage DM v1.0? (not in v1.1, they're replaced with real maps in that newer version)

Gokuma. yeah, those were 2 cool maps. 1 being the defenitely smallest DM map ever, maximum of 96x96 wide, the other all players were secluded sheilded of by invis walls, some barrels were there too.

In both you're given rocket launchers. In one you couldn't not severely hurt yourself with them and in other you couldn't kill yourselves or each other in spite of all the barrels and rocket launchers. Heh heh.