Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Foebane72

Remember when Doom was SIMPLE?

I look at more and more gameplay footage of Doom Eternal and I don't like what I see, the gameplay mechanics look so complicated now, and the game has apparently taken ideas from other games as far back as Doom 2016, and as well as jumping puzzles that I never liked, there are now also timing puzzles, combat puzzles and extra mechanics like extended jumps, wall-climbing and those yellow bars that stick out, AND grappling hooks in shotguns? And most obnoxious of all, an attempt to build a LORE for the game when all the previous games were content to stick with a simple premise and simple instructions! No, I don't care much for these characters and storylines AT ALL.

Why did Doom have to get so complicated? There was a time when all you needed was a simple premise paragraph, directional keys and a single fire button, and you'd be set. Not even a frickin' jump key was needed!

This seems less like Doom and more like Doom In Name Only (DINO) to me, which is probably appropriate because I prefer older prehistoric games made before 2010 anyway. Call me a dinosaur if you like.

Doom Eternal looks pretty as hell, but that's just superficial gloss over a complicated game, far more complicated than it needs to me.

You control what buttons you click on the Steam store page.

New Doom looks fun, even if there are parts of the direction I don't care much for. The point is moot as far as I'm concerned, since my old PC cannot possibly run it, so just like 2016, I won't buy it anyway.

But the "complication" is what's needed to make the game modern.

Series needs to evolve. It's not 1993 with limited hardware anymore, a Doom game only realized down to its basic level is not going to make it today. If you don't like it, the original Doom and all of its wads are still easy to get a hold of.

Edited by oCrapaCreeper

Of course it's more complicated. FPS is now a well-established genre, whereas back in 1993 it was still new. id Software can't pretend that nearly two decades of an entire industry exploiting a genre never happened. They have to try and bring something new to the table, and it seems obvious to me that they're trying to do that by bringing a mixture of gameplay and aesthetic elements not typically seen in a market saturated with serried ranks of gritty, po-faced COD-blops military-wanking shooters.

The lore and shit is a thick layer of gory icing on this particularly bloody demon-cake. You can run past all the little notes if they don't catch your fancy, and from what I understand the third-person cutscenes can be skipped, which actually slows down the gameplay less than the in-person scripted sequences of 2016, which the player was forced to sit through. Not for very long, but nonetheless.

Even if they had made a game with original Doom render tech, the result would most likely be closer to an advanced GZDoom mod than the original game.

Why? Because many of the restrictions that defined what was doable in 1993 no longer exist and retro-conservative really does not sell. Sorry to break the news.

It's good for me as single player fps have gotten so boring and incredibly dull witted with combat, so much of the industry is catering in droves to people that just want to shoot fish in a barrel it's unreal. Don't worry it'll have difficulty settings. Other people can have fun as well.

Games evolve, I have a feeling if we get a literal doom 1 and 2 remake with updated graphics people will still hate it and ask for something totally different.

To each their own but hey, you got tons of WADs to play, so you're pretty much set.

Personally, I don't mind slight different direction the games are heading. It keeps the franchise fresh.

I don't understand playing games other than Tetris, all these complications 'r givin' me a headache

/s

To my eyes, 95% of people ignore original post and try to be "funny" / antagonize topic-starter.

He brought up pretty reasonable concern of Doom stepping too far from it's marrow. Is it even Doom anymore? Maybe it's Metroid Prime already? To me, acrobatics and wall crawling seem out of place and don't add much to the experience. 

D2k16 hit pretty sweet spot with being moderately comlicated in it's arena combat in which player needs to control demons and circle around them like a shepherd-dog. Judging by footage I watched, D:E has it times 3 with more problems and tools to handle them. It was action-puzzly before, now it's borderline chess :-) (with RPG elements, probably).

I can see where you're coming from, partially. They're putting in more and more mechanics that I'd prefer not to have to contend with.

Honestly, I would love it if the nuDooms ditched the RPG elements, weapon mods, the various weird and abstract methods of getting loot out of pinata monsters (chainsaw for ammo? GK for health? set on fire for armor? What kind of garbo is this?), the locational damage (especially armor, but also the weird "shoot off their guns" thing). I'm also not a fan of the grappling hook or the dashes, in my opinion they muddle the good old "run and jump" abilities that your character usually tends to have.

I do like the lore and the environmental movement things such as swing pipes and climbable walls. In fact, I get really annoyed when people straight up wish there wasn't any story or lore. You can always ignore it and skip it if you so choose, but some of us like that kind of stuff!

1 minute ago, incel said:

To my eyes, 95% of people ignore original post and try to be "funny" / antagonize topic-starter.

Yeah, it's pretty silly in here.

I think DE sums up exactly why I don't like modern computer games. I was heavily into the Atari 8-Bit and then Amiga stuff back in the day, and then the Golden Age of PC FPS Games, from 1993 to 1999, and some later stuff, like Doom 3, Prey (the original), Bioshock series and Portal series, but it has diminished more and more with all of that Open World crap that dominates games these days. Give me corridor shooters anyday, I love those most! Doom 2016 was interesting to me, but I suppose that down to my age, I found it taxing in parts, and I only completed the game once, on Easy. I gave up when trying to complete it again. But id Tech 6 interested me, the last id Software engine to have the legendary John Carmack involved with it, and I love 3D engines. But now Carmack, my programming idol, is out of the picture entirely, I'm not interested any more.

someone already mentioned this but one of Id's main goals is to innovate, if Doom had never added things like glory kills, more movement options, grappling hook shotguns, or platforming, the game would have died years ago.

If Doom Eternal if not you type of Doom, you can always try to buy a new type of Doom Shooters made by Indies.

Incel said:

To my eyes, 95% of people ignore original post and try to be "funny" / antagonize topic-starter.

I think what gets most people is the titling and the rediculous nature of the OP. Case in point:

3 hours ago, Foebane72 said:

Why did Doom have to get so complicated? There was a time when all you needed was a simple premise paragraph, directional keys and a single fire button, and you'd be set. Not even a frickin' jump key was needed!

Are there any modern AAA games that involve solely using directional keys, fire/use buttons, and weapon swapping? I think that would qualify as fairly extreme retro and more likely to be found in an indie game than a AAA title. Also, doom 16 was fairly retro in its approach with the lack of reloading and cover mechanics.

And that's all never minding the fact that the first paragraph basically just says "doom has changed into stuff that I don't like," but some of these elements (jumping, timing, and combat puzzles in particular) are very present in classic doom.

This thread is asking for people to make fun of it based on its poor presentation. I'm sure there's a better point from the OP we could he discussing but here we are with what we got.

Doom 2016 is already extremely complicated. Look at how you can power-up your Doomguy. You have a whole mess of different unlock "currencies".

1. Praetor tokens
  2. Argent cells
  3. Rune trials
  4. Rune mastery challenges
  5. Weapon mod drones
  6. Weapon upgrade points
  7. Weapon mastery challenges
  8. And, just for fun, dolls

Is there a reason for all these different unlock mechanisms to be used simultaneously? Note that I'm not even counting the simple ability unlocks (like weapons and jump boots) or the temporary powerups here. In classic Doom, weapons and temporary powerups are all you've got to think about. In Doom 2016, it's not enough to kill imps, you also have to think about how you're killing them if you want to max out your character before the end of the game.

12 minutes ago, BBQgiraffe said:

someone already mentioned this but one of Id's main goals is to innovate, if Doom had never added things like glory kills, more movement options, grappling hook shotguns, or platforming, the game would have died years ago.

Then that should've happened. Everything and everyone has a time, and that time comes to an END. I hate it when they keep churning out new movies and TV shows and games from decades-old franchises, only to have them turn out to be inferior, almost all of the time. Why not just create NEW franchises? This Doom Eternal should be called (SomethingElse) Eternal, to be honest.

18 minutes ago, Fonze said:

And that's all never minding the fact that the first paragraph basically just says "doom has changed into stuff that I don't like," but some of these elements (jumping, timing, and combat puzzles in particular) are very present in classic doom.

Erm, Classic Doom never even HAD a jump key AT ALL. I think you mean "falling" puzzles, where you hop off higher platforms to lower ones.

The only "timing" puzzles I can think of were crushers.

Classic Doom never had combat puzzles as far as I remember.

17 minutes ago, Gez said:

Doom 2016 is already extremely complicated. Look at how you can power-up your Doomguy. You have a whole mess of different unlock "currencies".

That's one aspect of Doom 2016 I didn't like, it was representative of RPG elements. I didn't like Rage for the same reason, but the endless errands made that game worse.

While I can agree with some of the mechanic-based grievances as I detailed earlier, I will still add that the "This thing is no longer exactly for me so IT SHOULD NOT EXIST" is a ridiculous attitude to have.

Yeah, Antroid, maybe you're right. Disney Star Wars will have its fans, even though the old fans have been driven away.

I might have the opportunity to play DE at an Internet Cafe, just to try it, but even so, I might be best off just admiring the visuals and getting my demonic bloodlust sated by watching the HD YouTube videos of the game. There are plenty to go around as it is.

1 minute ago, Foebane72 said:

Yeah, Antroid, maybe you're right. Disney Star Wars will have its fans, even though the old fans have been driven away.

Well, from what I've heard, that stuff goes a fair bit beyond "no longer exactly for me" :D

10 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:

The only "timing" puzzles I can think of were crushers.

Secrets, too. Remember the elevator from E1M1? Or how to access the soulsphere from E1M3?

3 minutes ago, Gez said:

Secrets, too. Remember the elevator from E1M1? Or how to access the soulsphere from E1M3?

Fair enough.