Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Redneckerz

[Source port] Introducing Raze: ''That's one Duked up Space Marine!''

3 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

You first got to decompile the code that got added. And Duke isn't like Doom where all actor data is well structured and relatively painless to expand. A partial mod for WT exists which takes care of the scripted elements. It's the non-scripted parts that stand in the way.

Is decompiling the code a difficult task?

After beating E4L6 (Going Postal) in DN3D Atomic I get kicked back to the main menu as though I've finished the episode. Not sure why it's happening?

3 hours ago, Master O said:

Is decompiling the code a difficult task?

Code decompiled may not 100% represent original code. And you got optimizations.

5 minutes ago, Cacodemon345 said:

Code decompiled may not 100% represent original code. And you got optimizations.

Despite this, you could theoretically decompile enough of the code to be able to figure out the rest, right?

On 2/7/2020 at 8:33 PM, Graf Zahl said:

Also, although Blood does not have any GRPs, Raze can easily load Blood mods packaged in GRPs (or Zips), though. NBlood should also but I never tested that part.

How would I load Blood mods with Raze? I'm trying to run Death Wish but dragging and dropping a zip file onto the exe and choosing Blood doesn't work. The nblood installation instructions for the mod need you to select a different ini when running the port however that isn't there in Raze.

Edit: Thank you kindly @markanini

Edited by xvertigox

3 hours ago, Master O said:

Despite this, you could theoretically decompile enough of the code to be able to figure out the rest, right?

No, that's nearly impossible with modern-day compilers.

5 hours ago, Master O said:

You can do that if

a) the original code is sufficiently structured and/or

b) a compiler was used that only superficially optimizes the result.

However: Duke's code is not sufficiently structured. Most of the core gameplay logic is in a handful of seeminly endless functions, spanning several 1000's of lines of code. Combine this with the optimizations a modern compiler performs and you got something so messed up that it's close to impossible to wade through it, especially when on top of the large functions others got inlined into this huge mess.

In short: It's really not worth the effort needed to do this. Your only hope is that some dedicated tinkerer takes the time to do it.

30 minutes ago, Artman2004 said:

How to run Blood?

Point the Path= to your Blood root directory, ex: D:/Games/Steam/Steamapps/common/One Unit Whole Blood/ .

Generally there's three methods for any game:

1) Copy the contents of the download archive into the game directory. Disadvantage: You end up with several copies of Raze.

2) Copy the contents of the download archive to an empty directory, start Raze.exe once and then add the paths to your games to the GameSearch.Directories section. Once done it will find your games each start.

3) This only works for games where the main GRP file contains all content: Copy the GRP file into the Raze directory. This only works for Duke, its mission packs, Redneck Rampage, Redneck Rides Again and Shadow Warrior. It does not work for Blood, NAM, WW2GI or Redneck Rampage's Route 66 add-on that is part of the GOG version. For these you need to point a path to the game data so that it can find everything.

@Graf Zahl

I just tried https://github.com/coelckers/Raze/releases/download/0.4.0/raze_0.4.0.zip and noticed that Duke Caribbean doesn't appear in the selection menu after I put VACA15.SSI in the folder.  Is Caribbean not yet supported?

When I put DukeDCPP.SSI for Duke It Out in DC in the folder, that does appear in the selection menu.

Speaking of Duke It Out in DC, although it does show up in the selection menu, I cannot select Duke It Out in DC on the New Game screen.

Edited by Master O

1 minute ago, seed said:

The expansions should be supported, especially the version shipped with Megaton, you simply need to point to their main folder (in Megaton that's /gameroot/addons/) and everything should appear in the game selector.

Why are you using .SSI files? https://www.gog.com/forum/duke_nukem_series/unpacking_dukedcppssi_file

Because I own the original CD versions of Caribbean and Duke It Out in DC and because Eduke32 supports them that way.

Only bugfixes. And that will remain so for the foreseeable time. The current goal is not to add features but make the engine more stable.

The biggest visible change is that it introduces the DLL version of ZMusic. The work to separate ZDoom's music system into a library was originally done so as to be able to graft it to the PrBoom+ fork without having to deal with too much code duplication, but Raze got to be the first executable to use it. But in practice, it doesn't change much, it just means there's one more .dll file in the distribution.

The bugfixes include more robust loading for voxels (as a workaround waiting for a more efficient loading code), Shadow Warrior CD music should work now (provided you have the ripped tracks), autodetection of GOG install paths should be repaired, colorization effect on sprites should be correct more often, and a few other. There are still a lot of problems to find and solve, don't expect anything more exciting than bugfixes as long as it's in alpha.

4 minutes ago, Gez said:

Shadow Warrior CD music should work now

Missing SW CD music tracks*

It already worked otherwise, it was just some tracks that did not play in some levels.

I am having issue of sounds in 0.4.1 (sounds worked fine in 0.4.0). Sounds are not working/loading at all. I get this at startup:

1155640045_NewBitmapImage.jpg.ac47c628c3cadafb518b4b0a62c01e88.jpg

Log file:raze.zip

EDIT: Ignore this, it was my AV causing the issue. Its fixed now.

Edited by ReaperAA

Should the controller support be working yet? Because while I can set it to use a controller in the menu, and it works in the game's menu, it doesn't work at all in actual gameplay. 

*edit* nvm the controls need to be manually assigned. 

Okay I tested it a bit with Shadow Warrior. The music does indeed work now, didn't when I tried a few days ago. There's no input lag and Vsync works. That's fantastic. But the controller support I can see needs a bit of work. I can't really tune the sticks and as of now they feel overly sensitive, least on SW. But I understand if this isn't likely to be addressed until Raze is much closer to proper release. 

Edited by hybridial

There are a few input problems that are inherent to the games themselves. I mean, for example, think about Doom's own shorttic/longtic issue, it's caused by reducing the "resolution" used to handle input. There are a few cases of similar issues here, and addressing this would require refactoring how the games are handling inputs, which is a lot of work. Don't expect to see this addressed while the port is still in alpha or even beta stage.

Controllers should work - the ZDoom input backend supports them and the games support them - but something must go wrong on the route from A to B. One big problem with Build games in general is that the engine never stuck to a consistent numeric representation like Doom with 16.16 fixed point. Numeric formats are all over the place and sometimes even internally inconsistent (like the world's z coordinate has 4 more fractional bits than x and y.) As a result it can be easy to pick a wrong value range somewhere and pass incorrect values to the game.

What would really put this over the top would be a nice launcher akin to Doom Launcher. I've been having a blast replaying build games (I do play them often anyway) and having a simple interface to manage and load mods would be a godsend.

Maybe you can configure some Doom launcher for it. I even added a -iwad alias for selecting the main game GRP file so that it's easier.

17 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

Maybe you can configure some Doom launcher for it. I even added a -iwad alias for selecting the main game GRP file so that it's easier.

Maybe you can call it -igrp 😛.

Build already has its own switches, this one was specifically added to allow Doom launchers to be used, provided they are not locked to specific file extensions for the game file or check the file format.

Please remember one thing, Raze is still a fork of EDuke32 with GZDooM's things in it, its base is still Build engine so adding DooM-only things just looks weird and I think we don't needed it become too DooMy. :P

Don't take my post seriously. :P :P :P