Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
deepthaw

So... this game is hard?

I'm going back to replay Doom 2016 on Ultra-Violence to get myself ready to do the same when Doom Eternal comes out. I've decided to replay all the classic FPS on their hardest (reasonable, so no nightmare) difficulty. Finished Duke 3D on Come Get Some, Doom II on UV, Quake & Mission Packs on Hard, etc. Tried not to resort to save-scumming, and enjoyed all of the playthroughs.

For some reason despite not having much difficulty with D2016 the first time through (hurt me plenty I think?) I'm struggling in UV. Die a lot.

Is the game deceptively harder than I expected? Or have I simply not "gelled" with how to properly play it and probably learned bad habits from my first playthrough?

I just watched markiplier play Doom 2016 on UV a bit. Yes, it's hard. But it looks like there is a lot of health and ammo around for you to always get back on track fast, as much as I know. Even enemies drop health.

Glory kills and chainsaw, that's literally the best method to survive

also basic decisions like:

4 imps? FIGHT

10 imps? Try to pick off a few at a time.

11 hours ago, Morpheus666 said:

Glory kills and chainsaw, that's literally the best method to survive

also basic decisions like:

4 imps? FIGHT

10 imps? Try to pick off a few at a time.

I've been doing that, I think I just need to up my situational awareness (or my FOV.) I'm dying a lot to getting shot by somebody I didn't see. I think my brain is still used to classic Doom where you can A) Immediately identify and control the location of all enemies in a room and B) Audibly hear monster closets open or teleporters go off when new ones enter behind you.

it was hard for me to get use to the new 3d perspective but you have to play like your on a swivel, the demons aren't locked down to a set pattern, they adapt to the environment so using the environment to your advantage is key,

Regardless the enemies are somewhat unpredictable, so "Targeting" is a skill you really need, i usually do it like this:

Low tier Hit-scanners:(Imps/Chain gunners) Spare until they become a nuisance

High tier enemies: (Barons/mancubus) Kill on sight as soon as possible

Low tier melee:(unwillings) Ignore until you've killed everything else

High tier melee: (Pinkies) Kill on sight (preferably with a upgraded DB shotgun or chainsaw

Revenents and Lost souls: Kill these bastards as fast as humanly possible

(yes revenents and lost souls get there own category as they are literally by the hundreds in almost every Hell level.)

Edited by Morpheus666

I always play on Nightmare or Ultra-Nightmare because I find the other skill levels too easy. One of the most crucial KEY things is to keep moving all the time, and as unpredictably as possible because the enemies will try to predict your pattern of movement. Also adjust your mouse sensitivity to as sensitive to as you can bear because that helps with fast reaction to enemy movement. I just keep moving and kill anything on sight as fast as possible.

Learning to combo with weapons is also an good feature to master, for example SSG-RL-GAUSS is powerful, especially when upgraded. Siege Mode combined with upgraded SSG makes you almost unstoppable, once you have it. 

Use runes to your advantage once you get them. Upgraded Equipment Power rune will allow you to harvest both health and armor with the Siphon Grenade once you get it. Also the grenade becomes more powerful and Hologram more durable to damage which is also handy to use to distract enemies in tight situations.

Also, about upgrading weapons I find that making the cooldown/charge times lower first before making a bigger boom is better because that allows you to react faster.

And with Argent Cells, I always upgrade ammo first then armor and health last.

Ultra-Violence is great for a first time playthrough. 

Nightmare is for when you've really mastered the game,

and its perfect for new game plus playthroughs.

Definitely my preferred difficulty.