Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
  • 0
Hitscanning_scumbag

Interesting error

Question

Hey doom world. I had an interesting error that thought maybe yall had an answer to. 

 

When playing noises for thief 2 in slade 3 it bluescreen my computer with an error that say memory dump. 

 

Does this mean the formats are incorrect? 

 

System specs:

Windows 7

Amd athalon 64 2800+ 32 bit

1.50 gb ram

300gb hdd

Nvidia  GeForce 4 mx 440 with apg8x 

 

Engine:

Lzdoom

Share this post


Link to post

15 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 1

Okay, final update(unless it breaks again :p) :

I uninstalled the video card drivers two days ago and it has not crashed since, windows is using a generic vga driver, and all seems to be well. 

If no errors within this week, will mark the thread solved. 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

A bluescreen, commonly referred to as the Blue screen of death, is a form of kernel fault on Windows. These errors occur in a different level from normal applications you use, and thus aren't any basic issue such as an application crashing, but are instead indicative of driver issues or hardware faults (a Doom source port cannot cause these, let alone a bunch of sound files).

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I can tell you now that 1.5 GB of RAM is definitely not enough for Windows 7. You should see what your page file is set to and allocate as needed. I've been taught to set the page file size to double the amount of RAM installed.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Alright, I'll check my page file size when I get back on, it will have to be enough as that's all the ram I have right now. 

As far as the crash goes, I've managed to replicate the conditions no less than 3 times. Twice by accident, once to test and see. The only real difference I've noticed is that the files were in. Mp3 format. I converted them to. Ogg and it's run fine. Long story short, I'm not sure what's going on.  Regarding the drivers, I used the most recent drivers for my video card(which are for win xp) 

Since it's no longer supported on 7

For all the rest I used snappy driver installer, which has always worked fine for me... 

 

Thank you for your prompt answers! 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
16 hours ago, zaszthedestroyer said:

Hey doom world. I had an interesting error that thought maybe yall had an answer to. 

 

When playing noises for thief 2 in slade 3 it bluescreen my computer with an error that say memory dump. 

 

Does this mean the formats are incorrect? 

 

System specs:

Windows 7

Amd athalon 64 2800+ 32 bit

1.50 gb ram

300gb hdd

Nvidia  GeForce 4 mx 440 with apg8x 

 

Engine:

Lzdoom

I am halfway impressed that you use this configuration for Doom and Slade! This is even more ancient than my current rig, and that's saying something!

 

You are using LZDoom. Is this done in software or in OpenGL mode? If its the latter, perhaps try ZDoom 2.8.1 out.

 

The primary program used is obviously SLADE. I honestly could not tell you what the issue is, but considering this is run through 7 and running with a Geforce 4MX, perhaps that's the issue by itself? A Geforce 4MX (Technically a higher clocked Geforce 2) is a GPU from 2002/2003, but Geforce 2 has existed since 2000. That's literally a 17-18 year old GPU with technology from exactly two decades ago. The CPU is more in the realm of 2005, but running Windows 7 on this setup seems far from ideal, not taking into account the amount of RAM.

 

Because the cause of issue is a BSOD, this is where i am referencing the setup.

  • It could be a HDD problem.
  • It could be an OS problem. After all, you use drivers for your GPU that are for WinXP, not 7.

I have to ask, how long has this system been used?

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

It's a fresh install about a week old( upgrading from a p4) 

 Using lzdoom in software mode. Because in words of lzdoom "opengl not accelerated!" 

It could be a Hdd error. It's a system my uncle got from a friend who's a pc tech, who said it was a good running machine

 

Thanks for the kind words my dude. Pretty much the only reason I'm running this ancient pc is bc I'm going through some hard times, mentally (unemployed) and am trying to focus on something while I get my head together. 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
45 minutes ago, zaszthedestroyer said:

It's a fresh install about a week old( upgrading from a p4) 

 Using lzdoom in software mode. Because in words of lzdoom "opengl not accelerated!" 

It could be a Hdd error. It's a system my uncle got from a friend who's a pc tech, who said it was a good running machine

I assume there is either little to no budget or you are living in a country where PC upgrades carry a heavy price tag?

 

Upgrading from a P4 to an Athlon 64 is some improvement, but not much. Like i said, this is really, really old.

 

Given that its not related to Doom for the most part, i do expect something related to an HDD.

45 minutes ago, zaszthedestroyer said:

Thanks for the kind words my dude. Pretty much the only reason I'm running this ancient pc is bc I'm going through some hard times, mentally (unemployed) and am trying to focus on something while I get my head together. 

If you need a voice to speak to, drop a PM, shed some thoughts. :)

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Hey thanks man, I may take you up on that. 

And yeah right now, while I sort my head, I'm unemployed and living with my dad. That's why I can't afford anything newer. 

The error seems to come only when I'm in slade 3, and I click on a different format sound file. 

What I would suspect is that slade needs more memory like R4L said. 

Which reminds me to go check the page file size. 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
22 hours ago, zaszthedestroyer said:

Hey thanks man, I may take you up on that. 

And yeah right now, while I sort my head, I'm unemployed and living with my dad. That's why I can't afford anything newer. 

The error seems to come only when I'm in slade 3, and I click on a different format sound file. 

What I would suspect is that slade needs more memory like R4L said. 

Which reminds me to go check the page file size. 

Don't hesitate to provide more info when you checked these out!
By all means, take me up on it if you dare ;)

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I've added more page file memory, and haven't had the problem since, but it's not a persistent problem, either. In any case I'm taking today off because of some God awful sndinfo things happening. (coding troubles, not bsod) 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

OK so I added more page memory and for a while it worked fine. But today it did the same thing, again. Once again, it was under a Mp3 file format instead of wav... I'm out of ideas, all I know is converting the files seemed to work last time, so I'm going to try that

 

UPDATE: I came back to my pk3 file to find it completely empty! 

Fortunately I have a backup but that's scary... 

Edited by zaszthedestroyer

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

FWIW, SlumpED or XWE may be more lightweight alternatives to Slade, depending on what you're doing. 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×