Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest MIND

Are you afraid of showing off your music collection to new people?

Guest MIND

Are you ever afraid of showing off your music collection to new people when you meet someone new? This is especially true if you're into Metal and whatnot.

Yes but no, It really doesn't bother me to tell that I listen to metal, only when they try listen the music.

Not really, but I was listening to The Number of The Beast album on my phone while riding the bus. Although I was wearing head phones, the album art was clearly visible to anyone looking over my shoulder, which did eventually lead to some religious person handing me a bible or something like that before they got off the bus. Whether or not it was because of my music I'll never know for sure.

I actually am. When I was in 7th grade, I branched off from the regular old classic rock and into more progressive territory. When we would play it out loud (we as in me and my brother) our parents would just talk about how bad it was. One time my dad even yelled at me to turn it off. They even bought headphones for our family computer because they were sick of hearing our music when we played computer games. My friends also didn't tolerate it, they would always just call it terrible and I would get really embarrassed and turn it off. Since then, I've kind of learned to keep my tastes under wraps unless I knew I was with someone who enjoyed it. I think everything that happened filled my head with a preconceived notion that everyone else in the world would think it sucks, so now I guard my music tastes carefully. I always use earphones. Every time I play any music I like in front of people, I get super embarrassed and start visibly sweating.

I fucking hate it when people want you to listen to each and every song they like, but then refuse to give the stuff you like a fair shake. I’m not afraid or ashamed of what I like at all, I’ve just gotten sick to death of those one-way music conversations.

@Arbys550 I’m sorry to hear people so close to you have shamed you for your taste in music. That is fucking disgusting, it genuinely makes me sick to my stomach. I really hope you learn to openly love what you love without fear of what others think. Fuck them. I know it’s easier said than done.. I just had to put it out there. There is no shame in liking what you like.

Nah.  If they don't like me after they find out I listen to Skinny Puppy, Lustmord, Suicide Commando, Enya, Clan of Xymox, She Past Away, and the like, then I guess they weren't meant to be a good friend.

Uh, no. If they happen to be into Wu-Tang Clan, Destroyer 666 and Fiona Apple then cool. Otherwise, I really don't care. 

I sometimes will blast my music loud intentionally to show that i don't give a shit what people care about (it's usually Metallica or Slayer) it mainly is because i have realized that people will always (whether intentionally or not) look for something wrong with you because you don't line up with what society expects of you. I follow 3 main rules:

1. I matter and you can go screw off somewhere else if that offends you

2. Love yourself and be happy with who you are

3. Showering is not a "not needed" thing..Trust me. (i absolutely despise people who don't care enough/too lazy and smell like a Moldy Landfill.)

I stopped listening to magna fi because i got older, but when i still listened to them i used to hide it because i didn't want to be seen as the edgy/emo kid.

Edited by DRMman

After I attempted to show my FRIEND my music with poor results I'd hate to see what happens when I show anyone else.

Then again my friend blasts indie music in the car and has everyone shut up on certain verses so he can sing along so maybe they weren't the best choice.

Then again I'm also probably 1 of 2 people in the world who actually likes synthwave and vapourwave unironically.

No, why should I? It's one of the easiest thing to test is another person is compatible with me.

The far bigger problem for me lies in the family. My mother never got into modern pop culture her entire life, including music, for her music ends somewhere around the beginning of the 20th century and I've lost count how many discussions we had over the years about taste in music because everything modern is "noise" for her... :?

Of course it was far more annoying when I was younger and developed a taste for metal - as did my brother - this was driving her insane... :D

Not really. Then again I'm not so open about the music I like with people IRL. Not because of fear but because I don't care that much about talking about that, and usually they don't either.

It depends a lot on the situation, but a lot of the time yeah, I tend to avoid showing off my music playlist. Especially on this forum, I'm sure it wouldn't be recieved well.

37 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

Of course it was far more annoying when I was younger and developed a taste for metal - as did my brother - this was driving her insane... :D

Don't tell me that, you should have been in my place when I originally got into extreme metal, it was one huge shitshow, it was exhausting to hear the same regurgitated shit for a loooooong time that this music "is made solely to corrupt minds", oh boy...

Then again, mine have a problem with everything I like or do, so eventually you just learn to live with it :p. They might hold less extreme views about other genres but since everything I listen to falls under the niche category, it's obvious they're thinking lowly of all of them. Then again, what do you expect from someone who judges quality based on the popularity, they think radio garbage is actually good so...

If I give someone an impromptu lift in my car, I've probably got something playing that's mildly inappropriate and will turn it off before I start driving. Some of it I don't mind playing for people - I've got Blood Sugar Sex Magik in the CD player in the car at the moment. The middle of it was released as singles and did fairly well and people are often interested to find out Under the Bridge was about Heroin. Conversely, there's some utter filth either side of that which I imagine would make some people uncomfortable (being in a car with it playing loud enough to hear outside, not necessarily listening to it).

9 hours ago, Doominator2 said:

Not really, but I was listening to The Number of The Beast album on my phone while riding the bus. Although I was wearing head phones, the album art was clearly visible to anyone looking over my shoulder, which did eventually lead to some religious person handing me a bible or something like that before they got off the bus. Whether or not it was because of my music I'll never know for sure.

Who knows, you may just have a bright career as a used Bible salesman ahead of you. Kinda like the guy who bought an apple for $1 and sold it for $2. Then he bought two apples for $2 and sold them for $4 etc.

What's best, you get free Bible handouts!

And FWIW, I once had these playing in my car with passengers listening:

Edited by Maes

I used to be. But as I've gotten older I've lost any embarrassment about the particular kind of music I listen to, whether it's heavy metal classics, psydub or UK hard house. They tend to care more about whether I'm playing my tunes too loud or not. I've had to turn down my headphones a couple of times at work recently, but that had nothing to do with the genre or artist.

I do try to avoid singing along with GWAR's lyrics while in public though. Songs like "Krosstika" might give some people the wrong impression.

No, I listen to the tackiest shit I can listen and, as a bonus, get a rise out of folks.... especially those who virtue signal with their exquisite taste.

When I was younger, unless it was specifically my friends I always felt weird about being open about what I was into, especially as just being into wrestling was enough to get people very blatantly judging you, let alone heavy metal, videogames, horror movies and probably the most disgusting of all things, anime. Definitely came across more than one guy that seriously said all anime is hentai, basically.

Nowadays my tastes are even more niche, like with wrestling it was Ring of Honor for a while, now New Japan, with videogames I kind of hate almost everything new and only play retro style stuff (or just old stuff), with metal I went from at least liking stuff most of my friends could enjoy to stuff that with extreme vocals and maybe too esoteric, and with anime, at some point something changed and very rarely does anything come out that interests me, so its just old stuff with that mainly too. 

33 minutes ago, hybridial said:

Definitely came across more than one guy that seriously said all anime is hentai, basically.

That's gotta be one of most ignorant statements ever made.

Guest MIND
29 minutes ago, High On Berserk said:

That's gotta be one of most ignorant statements ever made.

Nice avatar LMAO