Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TravyB

Dungeon Devastation - A Heretic "speed" map (v1.1)

Dungeon Devastation is a single map for Heretic, to be used with The Wayfarer's Tome, that replaces E1M1 and has been tested with GZDoom. 

I've recently started playing through Heretic for the first proper time and have been enjoying the hell out of it, all it took was finding a nice little mod that re-balances things a bit! I wanted to make something for it but didn't want to get into another big, overly-detailed project as I usually torture myself with so made this off and on over the last 3 days. I call it a "speed" map on account of the fact that while about 80% of the geometry was laid out in one sitting a few days ago, over the last few days I have been taking my time applying textures and balancing everything, just generally polishing it up until I was happy with it. Even so, I think it might still be the fastest I've ever managed to complete a map. I had a lot more fun making it then I expected so you might very well see more Heretic from me in the future.

It IS playable without The Wayfarer's Tome gameplay modifications, of course, but it might be a bit too difficult without the mods' weapon buffs. I designed this map around throwing more at the player than is typical of the normal maps in the first 3 episodes of Heretic, so expect something that is pace-wise a bit closer to an intense Doom map. That said, I tried to take full advantage of some of the gameplay elements unique to Heretic, like Ghost monsters (which I REALLY like...). 

Be sure to let me know what you think!

Screenshots

Spoiler

Screenshot_Heretic_20200205_062405.png.ff5c2a63c1c6c4d7db9768643e6d0ea8.pngScreenshot_Heretic_20200205_062433.png.8796aa0855582567291198ea323f4ab1.pngScreenshot_Heretic_20200205_062517.png.510ed258ad13eda8715ee713c9733e0b.pngScreenshot_Heretic_20200205_062345.png.f3b33c14eac1d52d5af33d13bc042495.pngScreenshot_Heretic_20200205_062356.png.db9784bdd5de3f5adfad4d72e99fc580.png

Download

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ymaxkl9b58y0pv/DunDevastation.wad?dl=0

Edited by TravyB

There is bug in the green key area - I opened the exit with switch, but it closed on me and I couldn't reopen it. The same happened with the exit door. Exit teleporter is misaligned. And Gzdoom produces these errors:

Unknown floor texture 'GRNBLOK9' in sector 179
Unknown ceiling texture 'GRNBLOK9' in sector 179
Unknown type 6000 at (920.0, -1520.0)
Unknown type 6000 at (40.0, 1344.0)
Unknown type 6000 at (344.0, 1344.0)

Very Awesome map :D

I enjoyed it's interconnectivity, it's texture use and creative enemy placement (ghosts yay :D)

Though there are a few tiny problems with it:
In the blue key door the wall that opens the monster closet doesn't have a flat on it.

The 3D box sky doesn't really work when you can loop up, i recommend switching the map to episode 2 or replacing the sky with the episode 2 one using mapinfo.

The last door leading to the exit can't be open again if closed once, make the door open function repeteable and the teleporter is unaligned.

Fix these and your map is A-OK :D

How does one actually go about using Mapinfo  properly, because to be honest I just can't figure out how to make it work. I create a Mapinfo lump, set the sky but it doesn't work. I'm guessing there's something about editing the lump that I'm simply missing or misunderstanding completely. 

EDIT: I got it!

Edited by TravyB

I played this with the Wayfarer's Tome.

Not bad. Speedmapping is often about "what to leave out" in the design process. In Dungeon Devastation, architecture, texture use, and scene composition are all respectable -- and not just by the lower standards of speedmapping, either. Alignment and (to a lesser degree) flat-texture matching appear to have been the procedural sacrifices. So patch those up and you'll have something good. 

Just about none of the combat is bad. But it lacks variety and my experience grew repetitive. Putting aside assorted roamers and one or two arena battles, two types of deployments are omnipresent in the fabric of the map: 

- Spicy traps one learns to flee from.
- Static encampments of perched monsters.

That started to get very noticeable along the last key leg, when I was like "Wait, more of this?"

Not finding the dragon claw, I was forced to lean on the crossbow to clear a lot of meatier monsters, which grew repetitive too. 

I think the hellstaff fight should have a temporary lock-in mechanism along all escape routes -- or, failing that, a good number of conveniently placed vials to encourage one to stay put. It plays fantastically that way, yet fleeing is enticing because it auto-wins the encounter and gives you plenty of HP momentum for future encounters.  

I loved the secret

Spoiler

iron lich!

8 hours ago, rdwpa said:

I played this with the Wayfarer's Tome.

Not bad. Speedmapping is often about "what to leave out" in the design process. In Dungeon Devastation, architecture, texture use, and scene composition are all respectable -- and not just by the lower standards of speedmapping, either. Alignment and (to a lesser degree) flat-texture matching appear to have been the procedural sacrifices. So patch those up and you'll have something good. 

Just about none of the combat is bad. But it lacks variety and my experience grew repetitive. Putting aside assorted roamers and one or two arena battles, two types of deployments are omnipresent in the fabric of the map: 

- Spicy traps one learns to flee from.
- Static encampments of perched monsters.

That started to get very noticeable along the last key leg, when I was like "Wait, more of this?"

Not finding the dragon claw, I was forced to lean on the crossbow to clear a lot of meatier monsters, which grew repetitive too. 

I think the hellstaff fight should have a temporary lock-in mechanism along all escape routes -- or, failing that, a good number of conveniently placed vials to encourage one to stay put. It plays fantastically that way, yet fleeing is enticing because it auto-wins the encounter and gives you plenty of HP momentum for future encounters.  

I loved the secret

Hide contents

iron lich!

I have noticed that I'm really bad about not trapping the player in encounters somehow a lot of the time. It is a bad habit of assuming that players will stay in the middle of the encounter and duke it out proper rather than retreating, not that theres anything wrong with that but like you said it does neuter them a bit, I agree. 

Spoiler

I wish to God that the Lich didn't have that tornado attack, because they're a great enemy otherwise and it'd be awesome to place them in smaller places more often