Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
KoolKat

A Story of Hell IV

A Story of Hell - Part IV

They had passed miles of wasted city and the heat of the day was at its height. At almost 1:00 Mysti stopped and pulled off her pack.
"How far do you think we've gone?" she asked.
"About 20 miles. I wish we had a helicopter or something." Mitchell answered. He watched Mysti finish a bottle of water. "How much have you got left?"
"Two quarts."
"This was stupid. Why did I even think we could make it?"
"Maybe we could go back and get a helicopter."
"It's too dangerous in town," Mitchell looked at his watch. "Besides, I haven't flown a helicopter in years."
Mysti grinned. "What should we do?"
"Press on and hope to see some houses with running water and no mad men."
"Okay," She got up and looked at the scorching sun. "Forgot sunscreen. At least I got this."
Mitchell watched as she fished in her pocket for a second and drew out a tube of lip balm. She put some on and extended the container to Mitchell.
"Thanks," Mitchell said more than grateful to accept the favor.
They walked on through the desert walking into the sun which had now descended into the red mist of blood. Both Mysti and Mitchell knew that the blood in the air had to do with some evil animation. They just didn't know how evil. After a grueling hike in the heat for three hours, they came to a large river. It was an impressive sight for being out in the middle of nowhere, and it had plenty of shelter and water. It was flowing westward quite swiftly. The sun was sinking in the western plains leaving an eerie red ilumination in the area. It was nearly 3:00 and Mitchell thought they should see if they could rest for a while.
"Maybe we would travel faster at night," Mithcell suggested.
"Well, I think I should be ready to go all night if we rest now," replied Mysti eagerly.
"I'll take the first watch and we'll alternate every two hours," Mitchell explained. "Three to five for me, five to seven for you and then seven to nine for me. The sun goes down a little before nine at this time of year."
"That leaves you more time to watch. Oh well, if you get tired tonight, don't blame me," Mysti said in a jesting tone. She smiled at Mitchell while she pulled her pack on again. "We'd better find some cover."
They went a few hundred yards from the highway and stopped at a small grove of small trees and brush. A few feet into the trees there was a small clear area, suitable for sleep. Mysti pulled off her pack and settled into the dry grass.
"I love the outdoors," she said. "My dad used to take me camping and hiking alot, until I started working. We still liked to go on expeditions all over the country, and we did as often as possible. What do you do with your time?"
Mitchell gave her a blank look for a moment, then stared at the ground. He cleared his throat. "I don't really know," he said. "Sounds strange even to me, but I don't know. I guess I just live day in and day out waiting for something to happen."
"That is strange. I guess something happened," Mysti said with a small grin. She settled herself into the grass and fell silent.
The evening passed slowly while Mitchell stayed watching the horizon, the blood mist slightly iluminated by an unknown light. The end of his watch period came and he roused Mysti.
"I gotta take a leak," she said.
"Okay," replied Mitchell.
Mysti picked up her pistol and paced off further into the grove. Mitchell went the other direction to relieve himself. After he finished urinating and came back to the camp site, slightly worried about Mysti. His concern faded when she came back. He laid down and went to sleep. When he awoke, Mitchell felt a warm hand on his forehead, pushing his hair back.
"Your watch," Mysti said.
Mitchell looked skyward. The sun had almost set. The coolness of the summer night was slowly coming along with the stars. The moon was a small sliver in the far East. He sat up, stretched and went back to his watch.
Mysti tossed her body onto the spot where Mitchell had been and whispered, "Nice and warm."
Mitchell smiled and gazed into her depthless, brown eyes, twinkling in the twighlight. His smile faded slowly as his soul was numbed. Mysti closed her eyes and broke the spell.

Sorry about bumping my old thread! Please don't ban/loser me! I tried to save on forum space by using my old thread, but I can no longer change the subject or delete the thread. For the sake of easier sorting I have created a new thread, "A Story of Hell - Part IV".

keep it rolling! I myself am not a literary genious, but I know good work when I see it. Good luck!

Oi! posting the same chapter TWICE is not to my liking.
As for the story: Good work, it's definitely getting much better than the first chapter initially hinted at.

[edit]

Sorry about bumping my old thread! Please don't ban/loser me! I tried to save on forum space by using my old thread, but I can no longer change the subject or delete the thread. For the sake of easier sorting I have created a new thread, "A Story of Hell - Part IV".

There is no problem with bumping old threads in this forum if it's done by the author of the thread itself and the reason is legitimate - what I'm not too happy about is posting the same story chapter twice, because to me it STINKS of an excuse to raise post count.
I merged the two threads and deleted one of the chapter IV posts[/edit]