Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Omnedeus

Omnedeus Doom

NEWS

Hi everyone!

I've decided to post this project again. After languishing on hard drives for years, I've decided it was time to begin porting over the shareware levels of doom to my Omnedeus array.

What is it?

Omnedeus doom is a complete rebuild of doom shareware in unity, with the added benefit of using vuforia's augmented reality. This allows players to utilize android phones to produce augmented reality game levels which they can run around if they have a fully setup omnedeus array, or display third person perspective on a table. While developing Omnedeus, (which is a standalone role playing game which utilizes trading cards to procedural build game levels), I decided to test the tracking capabilities in a more action-oriented environment. Therefore, I decided to port over doom into my dev program. Over the years, I built, lost, rebuilt, and finalized a single build method to quickly prototype doom WADS using my tracking system.

What is it similar to?

The closest thing would be the HTC Vive, except it uses an array of image targets to build large scale game levels. It uses Vuforia tracking software, and is currently compatible with the following devices:

Phones:

- Android (main platform)

- Apple

Headsets:

- Microsoft Hololens

The game world can be rendered floating frame, (like pokemon go), or stereoscopic. If using a stereoscope, an extra bluetooth controller is needed to fire the gun.

The main purpose of this project is to make augmented reality gaming as cheap as possible. Right now, most applications require expensive headsets and peripherals to properly render the scenes. Using my method, any cell phone should be capable of rendering the project. The difficult part is positioning the image array for optimal tracking using a method which is cheap/nearly free. 

Over the next few weeks, I will begin posting demo videos of the game in action. In the meantime, I've decided to start this thread to relay pertinent information.

Are you the dude who was making some kind of Doom IRL project? I can't remember many of the details but i remember him saying something about cards too.