Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest MIND

Is 80-85 too old of an age to live to?

Guest MIND

I used to want to live forever when I was a bit younger but now I've changed my mind. A complete 180. I think living until 80-85 is WAY to much.

Think about it.

Have you done everything you wanted to do in life already? How much have you checked off your bucketlist?

As for me, I have some career goals and artistic pursuits I want to finish before I get really old but nothing more then that really. At such a young age I've done what I've wanted for the most part. Thinking about living to 80 or 90 is kind of scary. I'd be happy with 40-45.

Everyone is different. Some people fear getting old and I completely understand that. I used to be pro-Euthanasia, giving the old and sick who can be conclusively proven to be fully in charge of their faculties the option to check out. But then I realised that if you implement that, someone has to DO it. That is a hell of a burden to place on someone. So I think if you want to check out, fine, but do it yourself.

From a societal perspective, people living too long is a problem. We need to support them financially, and they are not generating any value in return. Do not mistake me, I am not promoting culling people over a certain age. Just because I can think objectively does not mean I actually emotionally agree with the conclusion of doing so.

Me, my to do list is long and getting longer. I have a very active mind and a wide range of interests. I will be living to the hilt till I physically can't do it anymore.

1 hour ago, MIND said:

I used to want to live forever when I was a bit younger but now I've changed my mind. A complete 180. I think living until 80-85 is WAY to much.

Think about it.

I do not really agree - There is a lot of things i would want to achieve in small ways or bigger ways and i realize that in order to do that, i will forever run out of time.

One small way/thing would be completing the DoomWiki with every source port of Doom known to man and the majority of all important figures within the scene. This is actually not an impossibility, but (Looks at archive file) this will easily set me back a few years. Which is okay. I didn't sign up after 10 years of lurking and watching by the sidelines to just do one thing and leave. Its the single contribution i can make to this community doing what i am good at - History and writing.

As for the bigger things: Meeting new people, experiencing new situations, reading new knowledge - I would not be able to make that within the next 15 years. You never gotta stop learning. Its easy to say when im at less than half of my predicted lifespan, but that's the one credo i try to live - Never stop learning, and embrace the experience and observation of society, day by day.

I feel we need a subtopic for all the questions you have asked so far and are going to ask in the future ;)

I used to want to be able to live forever as well. Until one faithful day I woke up and realized it would be curse.

Seeing not just your enemies but friends and loved ones dying. Being alone, making new friends and foes only to see it happen all over again... And again... And again.

I suppose one could argue that, with eternal life they could get a lot more done than say mortal can. But I disagree with that. Something that has begun must also come to an end. With each passing day I am less and less concerned with ending cut-scene, I am more concerned about smoothness of my journey and being be able to do things I actually want.

As for old age all I can say is this: getting old sucks. Like really old. Past age 60 you really become burden if you aren't one already.

My dad is 63 but he still carries on like most people in their mid 40’s, he’s definitely not a burden, very spry.

I personally wouldn’t want to live anywhere past 70, though it’s really dependant on how well I age. If my body/mind is falling apart I’m generally not gonna be attached to the idea of living forever, no matter how young or old I am when it starts to happen.

I’m very much pro-choice when it comes to assisted euthanasia. Just because some others may have trouble doing it/coming to terms with it (understandably) doesn’t mean I should have to sit back and watch my loved ones decay into nothingness, because for me the choice to end suffering is an easy one. My parents and I had to watch my grandparents fade away in physical misery/Alzheimer’s-addled because of bronze-age notions about morality and myths about how to go about dying appropriately. None of us had any ideological attachment to longevity and suffering, so why were we forced to just sit back and watch our loved ones deteriorate rather than leaving this life with a bit of dignity remaining?

It frustrates me that some people’s personal ideology and beliefs, that I don’t share at all, meant I was legally obligated to watch my grandparents suffer to damn near 90 years old and do nothing about it. I will forever be pro choice on this matter as my own thoughts about morality should have absolutely no bearing on what other suffering families may or may not do.

Guest MIND

My life plan is to make as much money as I can but look like I'm a garbage man. Incognito. Left alone with my earnings.

2 hours ago, MIND said:

I used to want to live forever

46 minutes ago, High On Berserk said:

I used to want to be able to live forever as well. Until one faithful day I woke up and realized it would be curse.

Seeing not just your enemies but friends and loved ones dying. Being alone, making new friends and foes only to see it happen all over again... And again... And again.

Living forever would suck, to add on seeing your loved ones dying and remaking your life over and over, there is also the heat death in the far future, everything has an end, and being completely immortal would suck when everything has decayed into subatomic particles, and you are floating in an extremely cold, unimaginably dark, empty universe.

lId77Oz.jpg

OT: It depends, if you start developing alzheimer, medical conditions that severly hinders your mobility, you start wearing diapers, need a unrinary catheter then yes it's better to be dead at this point, however if i have my mind intact i'd rather live as long as i can and enjoy life to the end. It's really sad that many people after their 70's decide to just wait for death...

Spoiler

22 minutes ago, MIND said:

My life plan is to make as much money as I can but look like I'm a garbage man. Incognito. Left alone with my earnings.

Hiding in plain sight. Love that approach.

14 minutes ago, Avoozl said:

I'd want to die in my 60s, I don't want a long life.

Quality over quantity.

6 minutes ago, Solmyr said:

OT: It depends, if you start developing alzheimer, medical conditions that severly hinders your mobility, you start wearing diapers, need a unrinary catheter then yes it's better to be dead at this point, however if i have my mind intact i'd rather live as long as i can and enjoy life to the end. It's really sad that many people after their 70's decide to just wait for death...

Reveal hidden contents

So Duke Nukem is real person after all! I mean that grandpa is ripped like everyone's favorite alien ass kicker.

He looks more like Master Roshi from Dragon Ball, but yeah, he could be an elderly Duke Nukem as well.

3 hours ago, Murdoch said:

But then I realised that if you implement that, someone has to DO it. That is a hell of a burden to place on someone. So I think if you want to check out, fine, but do it yourself.

So if something is difficult or burdensome we should ban it?

No one's saying force doctors to perform euthanasia. There are plenty out there willing and able to relieve people of their pain if it were allowed.

If someone wants to say goodbye to loved ones and pass away peacefully, I don't know why anyone would rather force them into unreliable, isolated, and potentially incredibly painful avenues.

33 minutes ago, DuckReconMajor said:

So if something is difficult or burdensome we should ban it?

No one's saying force doctors to perform euthanasia. There are plenty out there willing and able to relieve people of their pain if it were allowed.

If someone wants to say goodbye to loved ones and pass away peacefully, I don't know why anyone would rather force them into unreliable, isolated, and potentially incredibly painful avenues.

Not what I meant, at all. You will struggle to find someone more sympathetic to suffering than me FYI so please do not try to make it look like I do not care because I sure as hell do.

By do it yourself, I mean maybe they should make a kind of "legal overdose" or something like that. Something relatively easy. But you make the call, and you take it. That way you are not burdening someone with guilt. It is one thing to say "yes I am willing to practice legally sanctioned euthanasia" and then actually go through with it regularly. It is a difficult situation with no easy answers.

Ah gotcha. I remember reading about David Goodall's case

Around midday, an IV was placed into Goodall's arm, allowing him to turn a wheel to let the lethal drugs to flow into his bloodstream, according to Exit International, an Australian nonprofit that advocates for the legalization of euthanasia.

I agree with you and also that there are no easy answers there. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

I mean as long as my brainy bits stay ok and I can still type I'm good dude, although if my fingers become inoperable or my brainy bits start to deteriorate, I'll just have one of my future relatives put an insane amount of morphine in my pudding at a random point so that I can go peacefully.

3 minutes ago, DuckReconMajor said:

Ah gotcha. I remember reading about David Goodall's case

I agree with you and also that there are no easy answers there. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

All good.

I'd want to live forever if I could and slow down aging as much as possible. I want to see how good or bad things will get in the future.

Edited by Gregory Stephens

My family has a history of staying alive for a long time. I wanna hit 100, if only so I can say "These '80s aren't nearly as cool as the Original 80's" when I hit my 90s. 

Everybody who wants to die before 80, please read this thread again when you are 79. I think your opinion will have changed a bit by then. (Except you are suffering from a horrible disease and are in pain 24/7 of course).

I have to live up to 150 to get back my pension insurance contributions.

As someone who is close to 40, I can say that 45 is way too young. Even 80 or 90 in my eyes feels like not enough time to do everything. Life is too short.

It's certainly an issue of perspective. 20-somethings always think they know everything. Then they hit their mid 30's, are stuck in mundane jobs and their bodies start falling apart. It's quite the wake-up call.

I'm a procrastinator so I'm always going to want extra time. Death is gonna have to wait but ill get around to it.

I am 37 now and also changed my views quite a bit. If I'll get to live only to 80 years old, then almost 50 % of my life is already behind me. That sounds really, really scary. I already get anxious, if my phone's battery drops to 60 %.

Another point of view is: My father is now 72 years old and I definitely don't want him to die any time soon. Nor does he look like he's "old". He can still do a ton of stuff (maybe not climb Mt. Everest anymore, but who does this anyway) and just last year he even visited me in China and walked more then 20,000 Steps every day, for two weeks straight.

Yet another point of view is mapping for Doom. My current Techbase will take almost a year to complete. Let's say I want to make a MegaWAD all by myself right now... it's basically impossible. I just don't have the time anymore. Which is a really weird feeling.

Well, I guess what I want to say is: Life your life to the fullest and don't waste time. Do the things you want to do. Do the things you enjoy. Yes, I know you got to work and earn money, but always try to maximize the time for yourself. You won't get it back. One day you'll celebrate your 35th birthday and are wondering where the hell all the time went.

For me, it depends wholly on how my general health fares from here on out. If I were to contract a serious illness and fall sick to the point where I'd have to be fed with tubes and piss into a plastic bag, I'd rather die than suffer. But ignoring that possibility, I'd ideally like to live as many years as I possibly can. The last fate I want to suffer is that of my grandmother who lived her last few years with Alzheimer's and was permanently hospitalized for at least the last year of her life - may she rest in peace.

For me that just depends on the quality of life I'd have at that age, although honestly I am really not seeing myself living that long, I'd love to but with a semi-wrecked mind on an emotional level, stress, complexes, frustration, and lack of satisfaction already poking at me I am really not seeing how that is possible.

I used to want to live forever once too, I think a lot of us wanted this when we were young and immature, but on this ball of dirt absofuckinglutely not, maybe on a different plane, hypothetically speaking. Things like seeing everyone important to me die and wither away would be a bit depressing at first, but I'm not exactly capable of forming strong bonds with my people anymore (assuming I've ever been), so there's that.

Anyway, the main issue at hand isn't living as long as humanly possible, but living one's life to the fullest and achieving all that one desired should be the main motivation behind this. I hold some controversial views which I won't be discussing publicly, but anyway the point is, it's better to live a short but fruitful, joyful life than a long one full of failure, misery, depression, tragedy, horror, disappointment, and unfulfillment. Don't let your life go to waste.

Edited by seed

Guest MIND

I'm trying to cut down on how much junk I eat. I hear once you hit the other side of 25, and from 30-35 your body breaks down if you eat like you did from 18-25. At least I think. Sounds rather painful so I have to monitor what I take in I think. I had my fun with junk though that's for sure. I already don't work out and am out of shape. I'm as thin as a rail but get winded easily.

Living forever is kinda tricky to do. You'll probably need superhuman toughness to make it past 1000 years since you'll hit that 100% chance for a fatal vehicle crash eventually.

And what stops you from starting over or working some more on your hobbies? It is only horrible if you have no interests nor ever took care of your body. 

Guest MIND
59 minutes ago, Pegg said:

And what stops you from starting over or working some more on your hobbies? It is only horrible if you have no interests nor ever took care of your body. 

Define taking care of your body. I'm as thin as a rail and dont smoke, rarely drink but I dont excersise and eat more bad foods then I should.

Can't really say until I get there. I honestly can't think of one person that's 80+ years old that I've met personally that has a fiery desire to just be dead already, though... I'm sure they're out there. But, I've also seen people who are up there that have actually said the last 10-20 years of their life up to that point had been their favorite part.