Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[McD] James

‘Chair girl’ sentenced to two years of probation, ordered to pay $2,000 fine

I'm on your side with this one Ajora, it's not a normal thing, because most "normal" people have a crumb in their brain that says what they do might affect other people. I've known a lot of dumb people who have done a lot of dumb shit, myself included, but if the circumstances were different and the wind was coming off the side of the building very quickly, things could have been much worse. With roads down below it's possible that she could've caused a pileup and actually killed dozens of people. Results are important and so is intent, but reckless endangerment is a thing and I would feel very differently if down below was only grass. Even then, there could be people walking etc. but the implications for a populated roadway are too much to even imagine.

Her body language from the video would insinuate that it was a case of very heavy peer pressure. I don't think she would do that if she were there just by herself, so it's not a case of anti-social and psychotic behavior so much as it is someone being completely negligent for laughs and views on social media. I won't comment on the punishment or length of time of any possible incarceration because I don't know the laws as well. I'm sure there's tons of cases they could look at as precedent. What I do know is this is inexcusable behavior which should be made an example of, which has already happened, of course. I'm just thankful no one was seriously hurt.

4 hours ago, Cynical said:

Thank you for being a perfect example of why I say that members with a join date after Doom 4's release should all be assumed to be morons.

Ok Boomer.

I'm laughing at the people saying she shouldn't going to jail when they would obviously be calling for jail time if it was a 20 year old dude.

The only Canadian i can currently think of that actually should go to prison is Jessica Yaniv. And have her and her mother evaluated aswell.

She is the Trans's community worst nightmare and she is a huge creep to go along with it, aswell as a violent person in general.

There’s a certain level of hypocrisy to say teenagers shouldn’t have to be held accountable because “everyone does it”. It’s a very “boys will be boys” argument which is ironic given I feel like the people posting that take understand why “boys will boys” is a bad argument seeing as how the conversation veered into arguing about whether this thread comes from inceldom. In fact, furniture falling from balconies is such a fratty broey thing I can find an article from the last year about it (TV neatly hitting woman below outside frat house ) and I know I’ve seen other examples come out in my life.

On the other hand I get that this topic does have a lot of people who will argue in bad faith or perhaps just harp on this one example of criminal mischief or whatever it would be called because it’s a typical Instagram model and there’s a hard on against them.

In the spoiler is a side rant against the prisons as rehabilitation argument which I think isn’t completely on topic because I’m not actually sure I think this person should go to prison, but I get annoyed every time people hand wave away the need for prison.

Spoiler

Whether or not this woman goes to prison I just want to say I really question the “prison is for rehabilitation” people. I think less crimes should send people to prison overall, but I think if you hit the point that prison is the punishment it should be about adding a cost to your actions that otherwise would have been a net positive.

For example, some landlord around the corner from me blew up their building by hiring unlicensed plumbers to do some weird scammy shit with gas lines. After years of trial delays they all just got convicted of manslaughter and have a few years in prison. In the interim the empty lot sold for like 10 million.

I think this was an accident but what does it say that you have a building and tenants who won’t leave, blow it up “by accident”, collect cash from sale of the lot? You could say “these people don’t need prison, punishment is draconian and they have learned their lesson and won’t do it again because the building is gone so they are no longer a threat to society” but like, then what? Crime pays.

And what would rehabilitation be here? You think a landlord of a 10m property needs help from the state to sort out where their soul went? You think the illegal plumber will get his plumbing license?

And what if this had been caught before it blew things up? Obviously they wouldn’t have manslaughter charges but shouldn’t they have something charged that says “you could have killed people due to greed”? Not just “oh well your crime didn’t hurt anyone so it’s all good”. Which is another forgive and forget take in this thread that always seems rooted in dream land.

The rehabilitation not prison crowd always imagines prisoners as people with nothing left who shoplifted a candy bar and smoked a joint, not people who can and will do absolutely anything to enrich themselves and would be the ones in power (lol as if they already aren’t) if society didn’t artificially add a cost to actions that frankly are purely beneficial to ones self if you are a sociopath. The wicked would rule the world if you didn’t have a penal system, this idea that draconian punishment doesn’t work seems flawed.

I don’t think prison should be hell on earth, but I think it should be a place you go that sucks because it’s a concrete cell and X years of your life for the terrible things you did that would have otherwise paid off.

That’s a complete aside because I don’t know if I think prison is appropriate in this instance, and this is nothing like the gas lines thing, I just get triggered by the matter of fact anti-prison take that you see everywhere online these days.

I don't know how some of you can think that it was okay for me to have acted the way that I did last night. I don't care who someone is, what they have said or what they have done, I have no right to ever under any circumstances insult or talk down to another human being. Somebody, please IP ban me and remove all traces of this account. My boorish behavior is irredeemable. My conscience afflicts me and knowing that I've received an appropriate punishment will at least allow me some measure of peace. 

8 minutes ago, Ajora said:

I don't know how some of you can think that it was okay for me to have acted the way that I did last night. I don't care who someone is, what they have said or what they have done, I have no right to ever under any circumstances insult or talk down to another human being. Somebody, please IP ban me and remove all traces of this account. My boorish behavior is irredeemable. My conscience afflicts me and knowing that I've received an appropriate punishment will at least allow me some measure of peace. 

That's a bit melodramatic, don't you think?

Look, i see you post all the time with several topics and i read through this thread. It was a heated situation and @Cynical was well.. Cynical ;) A difference of opinion is to be expected, even when its fueled here and there from the sidelines.

All in all, you had some tea that you brew too long, you let go off the steam that you produced and had to leave the tea in the kitchen. Now the tea is cooled down. Better make some new though, after 12 hours of cooling down i doubt any tea (except ice) still tastes great (Besides why would you heat up ice tea, are you mad).

So relax, take a moment of zen, play some Doom (Protip: Shoot the Cyberdemon until it dies) and whatever you do, don't throw things off a balcony.

This thread has told me that doing that in Canada atleast can get you into trouble.

@insertwackynamehere the idea behind the rehabilitation argument is that prisoners should be able to reintegrate into society and not reoffend after they have released. Which is a better outcome for society.

Obviously there are some crimes, and some human beings, that are not rehabilitable (made up a word there lol). Like if someone goes on a shooting spree, sure there’s no recovery from that. But the whole ‘prison as revenge’ argument leads to a slippery slope where low-level crime deteriorates into recidivism and higher-level crime.

That’s my take on it anyway

I saw this thread last night and didn't bother to post in it. I tend to stay out of these things when they're getting weird and ugly.

Ajora don't be so hard on yourself. I don't think it helped that other people were throwing around the word 'moron' and such. Here maybe this will help cheer you up a bit, but it's a spoiler if you didn't watch the game last night and plan to watch it later or something. ;) Take it easy and don't worry so much about some thread that went tits up for whatever reason. I actually didn't read it all, fuck that. :p

Courts worldwide are getting too corrupt, judges are probably taking more bribes than ever, they let their personal beliefs override the law and too many criminals are walking. It's disturbing when you can practically count the good judges left on one hand now. Few have the integrity to uphold the law that Frank Caprio have and Judge Judy(who is actually NOT a real judge, as those TV court shows may be a legal arbitration but are NOT a proper court!) set the bar for courts ruling on opinion over law. Paris Hilton got a harsher sentence for not being a Christian while some record producer sues Kesha under bogus reasons and gets an award because he's rich.

I also shy from distrusting people who think Doom 4 is the only good Doom and use words like "thot". Enjoy your hand-holding hallway shooter because you can't handle the real Doom games.

1 hour ago, diosoth said:

I also shy from distrusting people who think Doom 4 is the only good Doom and use words like "thot". Enjoy your hand-holding hallway shooter because you can't handle the real Doom games.

Ok well this is off-topic now but seeing this idea thrown around in this thread is confusing the hell out of me. Got any examples of people like that? I have literally never seen anyone say that here.

EDIT: Also how does that conjecture have anything to do with being for or against prison as a punishment? It makes no sense...

Edited by Yourfacedotcom

Meh, if there would be a need to give out a punishment that isn't merely a warning I think that either period of public service, short term arrest, or a fine would be finer alternatives to straight up prison sentence in this situation.

5 hours ago, Ajora said:

Somebody, please IP ban me and remove all traces of this account. My boorish behavior is irredeemable. My conscience afflicts me and knowing that I've received an appropriate punishment will at least allow me some measure of peace.

That's quite an overreaction to be honest. There's no need to "commit suicide" over saying something that seems stupid on the next day.

7 hours ago, Ajora said:

If I was in your presence right now I'd smack you for being such a goof.  Wtf is this bullshit self flagellation?  So you yelled at a couple of dumb dumbs on the internet. GOOD FOR YOU!

Quit apologizing and get back to posting.

That's an order.  😡

Ajora, I'm going to stand in the middle here and suggest that maybe taking a few days away instead of leaving for good is in your best interest. I certainly was and do not pretend to be a saint but I don't think your posting deserves the self-flaggelation here. Take a breather and come back when you're chill.

I usually avoid issue-oriented threads, but I read this one and decided to look up what sort of penalty Chair Girl would face in the USA. As a preamble, I would note that while her action itself is thoroughly reprehensible, no one was actually injured and no property -- other than the chair -- was destroyed. So to me, this looks like an obvious misdemeanor rather than a felony, which can earn you jail time and fines in Uncle Sam's World. Jail in America is typically where you go after being arrested, and where you spend time awaiting trial, unless someone bails you out. In some cases, you can spend months to more than a year in jail awaiting trial. Jail is also where people can serve relatively short sentences after being convicted. Prison is where you go after being convicted for a crime serious enough to earn a long sentence.

I wanted to learn what the maximum sentence for Reckless Endangerment is in my state of Wisconsin, which is one of the more "police state" localities in America. 

Are you ready for what I found out?

In Wisconsin, Reckless Endangerment in the 1st Degree is a Class F Felony that can earn you 7.5 years in prison and 5 years of Extended Supervision, and/or a fine of $25,000. I'm pretty sure someone has to be actually injured, perhaps grievously, to qualify for the maximum sentence. I can do more research, including learning what the minimum sentence is, but I'm on my way out the door. I have learned that penalties are much lower in Colorado and Connecticut, on the order of 6 months in jail and up to $750 in fines, depending on the nature and severity of the crime.

My advice, don't throw chairs off skyscrapers in Wisconsin. ;)

I sure am glad that becoming a judge in court does indeed take some manner of qualification, because a lot of the people who are now asking for a more severe sentence would be singing a different tune if they lived in a state/country where one single fuck-up is gonna ruin their lives -or the lives of their friends- until the end of time, even if that fuck-up is something that turned out to be property damage of no significant consequence.

You'd think that a judge knows what the hell they're doing, because they studied the law, know the local penal-system and its "outcomes", and most likely didn't have their first case in court either (surely they've already heard their fair share of "excuses" and you'd be naive to think that they'd just buy it)...

But thank god, people on the internet are smarter than the professionals, nobody deserves a second chance ever, and turning a one time offender into a hardened criminal by way of having them behind bars for a couple years surely must be a win for society. She's gotten half a year for being an idiot already, if she's out of prison after that time, and then fucks up, by all means, go ahead and tighten the thumbscrews on her good, because she's then proven to be irredeemably stupid.

In the UK, where I live, the justice system is definitely too soft in many areas. It's quite 'normal' for people to be released from prison after serving just half their sentence, so someone given a five year term will be out in a little over two years. Not long ago, we had a Parliamentary 'expenses scandal', as a result of which a handful of MPs (who had each embezzled tens of thousands of pounds of public money) were jailed: not one of them served more than a quarter of his or her sentence.

I recall a case involving a 23-year-old man who lives only a couple of miles from me. He was convicted of a violent unprovoked assault on a member of the public on the top deck of a bus. The victim spent almost a month in hospital. He was given a twelve month suspended sentence. It was revealed to the court afterwards that he had thirty-two previous convictions, mostly for robbery and violence. This sort of occurrence is all too common over here.

:(

9 hours ago, UncleTito said:

Threads like these make me miss chan boards' function to hide threads altogether.

There isn't a hard line that says that every Doom thread or post has to be quality. This is a general point and not specific to Ajora's thread here.

I do however agree that the general level of threads could be more qualitative. Enough questions are asked that could be solved by Doomworld's very own BFG - the search function. It should be encouraged whenever, so that people asking learn how to research on their own instead of being handed the answer on a plate.

That's just my /2 cents though.

Jailing someone for a crime serves to punish the individual and also to deter others from doing the same.

In this case when considering her age and the circumstances I think a fair amount of community service hours would be a better punishment and also hopefully act as a deterrent to others.

15 hours ago, Liberation said:

Jailing someone for a crime serves to punish the individual and also to deter others from doing the same.

In this case when considering her age and the circumstances I think a fair amount of community service hours would be a better punishment and also hopefully act as a deterrent to others.

Community service doesn't serve as a deterrent to anyone :D

Pfft. Endangering lives is not killing lives. Here where I live, there are first-degree murderers that don't get a single full year in jail. Some of them are even acquitted, even after their murder is proven and acknowledged by the court.

But yeah, she could have killed someone there. Humiliate her and send her home. Maybe charge some fairly big fines (proportionally to her wealth). I still doubt she could kill anything larger than a stray cat.