Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[McD] James

‘Chair girl’ sentenced to two years of probation, ordered to pay $2,000 fine

This is by far the most-talked-about story in the Greater Toronto Area right now, as well as one of the most discussed stories in all of Canada. I personally think that a 6-month jail sentence is far too lenient and that she should be given no less than a full year. Her lawyer's excuses are disgusting. If she doesn't get any prison time, people are going to be very angry, and rightly so. What a terrible and stupid thing to do. 

edit: The title of this thread has been updated to reflect today's news.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/chair-girl-apologizes-in-court-as-judge-announces-sentencing-date-1.4801424

Edited by Ajora

The excuse making is laughable. "I've struggled in life therefore I should be allowed to throw chairs off balconies and endanger other people's lives for no reason and get off with no punitive action whatsoever" is a flaming hot take.

I think she deserves a longer sentence as well. The current sentence is merely a slap on the wrist and no doubt other idiots will go ahead and imitate similarly stupid actions that may actually cause people to die. What an idiotic and trashy thing to do. 

What I really hate about this story is that she's already benefitted from the exposure. Her Instagram account subscriber count has skyrocketed, she's now a verified account, and she even appeared in a Drake music video. If she gets off with a slap on the wrist, more people will follow this pattern. Some already have.

I'm inclined to agree with @dew. Prison time should be seen as a method of rehabilitation, not revenge (and it is that way in Norway which is why recidivism rates there are so low). I don't see how prison time will help rehabilitate her, if anything it will make it worse. The best method of rehabilitation here is the social media ban.

Sending her to prison could scare people away from doing similarly stupid, dangerous acts that could eventually lead to people getting hurt. Sure no one got hurt this time, but if some other idiot gets inspired by her (seeing her boost in social media recognition, etc.) and decides to throw a chair off a balcony and it hits a car on a busy highway, we could be looking at multiple injuries or deaths. But thats just me.

Someone could have easily died. I'm not vindictive by nature, but my opinion is the universally held one. I want her to face prison time to serve as a deterrent for other people who may seek to copy her behavior. 

Edited by Ajora

Holy shit I actually agree with Dew on a political topic, wtf is going on here?

Throwing people in jail for doing stupid attention-seeking stuff is counterproductive.  Sure, I hate social media "influencers" (or whatever fucking label they're giving themselves now) just as much as you do, but throwing them in jail to teach them to become hardened criminals isn't an improvement.  Malicious isn't better than stupid.

Thank you for being a perfect example of why I say that members with a join date after Doom 4's release should all be assumed to be morons.

The fact that she put people's lives at risk is a much bigger reason for her to face a prison sentence, rather than the fact that she uploaded her dangerous behaviour onto social media for attention. 

1 minute ago, Ajora said:

The fact that she put people's lives at risk is a much bigger reason for her to face a prison sentence, rather than the fact that she uploaded her dangerous behaviour onto social media for attention. 

So what if she put people's lives at risk?  Young people do dumb shit that could get people killed if it goes south all the time, and we're not throwing every dumb kid in jail.  This is a stupid overreaction; a social-media ban and some community service is exactly what's in order here, not some fucking "OMG, LET'S THROW HER IN JAIL TO SHOW EVERYONE THAT WE'RE TOUGH ON CRIME!" idiocy.

35 minutes ago, dew said:

You just want to see a dumb gold digger bimbo humiliated.

I have several questions for anyone who doesn't want to humiliate dumb gold diggers!

That social media ban mentioned in the article would be far more effective in teaching her a lesson.

Absolutely. Take her off the drug for a while!

Also not even just regarding this case but in general, I agree that prison should be more about reform than the old fire and brimstone obsession with punishment. If you teach people why what they've done is wrong they might not do it again. If you lock them up the only outcome is that they hate you. Rarely are lessons learned from this approach and statistic on repeat offenses bear that out.

EDIT: Rofl at Cynical being so Cynical. If you don't care about people's lives then why the hell do you care about sending them to jail? Doesn't make any sense at all.

1 minute ago, Ajora said:

The fuck is wrong with you? 

What, are we going to start handing long jail sentences every sixteen year old kid who thinks they're invincible and drives recklessly?  Because that's a whole fucking lot more dangerous than what this girl did.

Kids do dumb shit that has the potential to get people hurt.  Get over it.

Anyone who supports harsher prison sentences especially for non-serious crimes is a person with a hardon for revenge and sadism, and angry person who cares less about justice than they do about suffering.

Send her to prison. Several years in solitary with no chance for parole.

Weren't you that incel\mgtow guy in another thread? Your colors are really on display here maybe get your head checked

She's 20 years old, not sixteen. Other people doing dangerous and illegal things doesn't mitigate her own behavior. 

19 when it happened.  Literally a teenager.

If you think that people who do "dangerous" things as teenagers all need lengthy prison sentences, then the prisons are about to get mighty crowded.

Doing shit that could kill someone is not "non serious". Putting other people's lives in harms way is absolutely a serious thing.

The obsession with revenge rather than rehabilitation in the prison system is a serious problem. Just trying to be consistent here. I hold both of these views because I value human life. Holding one but not the other does not logically add up, imo.

Your use of quotations insinuates that what she did wasn't dangerous. I'm not the one making generalizations or false equivalences, you are. Stop being dumb. 

2 minutes ago, Ajora said:

Your use of quotations insinuates that what she did wasn't dangerous. I'm not the one making generalizations or false equivalences, you are. Stop being dumb. 

image.png

Do you have anything better to do than make a completely off-topic ad hominem attack? I'm frankly disgusted that some of you are defending this extremely dangerous and narcissistic behavior. 

Just now, Ajora said:

Do you have anything better to do than make a completely off-topic ad hominem attack? I'm frankly disgusted that some of you are defending this extremely dangerous and narcisistic behavior. 

WTF no one is saying "throwing chairs of of balconies is fine", we're saying "teenagers shouldn't go to jail for doing the kind of stupid shit teenagers do", there's a big difference there and I'm kind of amazed that you're too dumb to see it.

9 minutes ago, Marcaek said:

Anyone who supports harsher prison sentences especially for non-serious crimes is a person with a hardon for revenge and sadism, and angry person who cares less about justice than they do about suffering.

Weren't you that incel\mgtow guy in another thread? Your colors are really on display here maybe get your head checked

Ah yes, typical angry incel calling for different view or opinions followed by projections and tough talk. Totally haven't seen that before. Everyone can do that from behind monitor and keyboard, pumpkin. As for suggestion, thank you, but I'm not murderer, vandal or someone who despite knowing better proceeds to do reckless things, so I believe its best you take your own advice. For this case, some prison or solitary time for her to reflect on her accomplishment would be fit.

Edit: Ban from social media desperately needed too.

@Cynical She was 19. In Ontario, anyone 18 years and up is legally an adult in a court of law. And when she did this, she smiled and laughed about it during her first court date. This goes well beyond "the kind of stupid shit teenagers do".