Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DRM-MAN

What movie do you dislike but every else loves?

I'll happily admit that it doesn't take much for me to enjoy a film. Dumb action and cheap laughs are very much my zone and I'm easily won over by spectacle and sci-fi stuff. That being said, I'll count myself among the many here that didn't enjoy 2001: A Space Odyssey. I even watched it on a plane, where basically anything was welcome, and I still felt like it was a waste of time.

I'm also in the crowd that couldn't stand Titanic, and was underwhelmed by Avatar as well. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any move that would be unusual for this thread that was both critically and audience acclaimed and a subject of my hatred. Normally when I don't like a film I've seen, it either has been, or will be widely panned. At least by audiences. 

Somebody is probably going to kill me but anyway:

The back to the future movies, they

aren't bad but i can't see the appeal.

The indiana jones movies, i find them boring and the only memorable character is the self-titled protagonist, the rest of the cast is annoying and forgettable.

Toy story 4, an unnecessary sequel that only exists to make quick money.

Edited by Danzer : Deleted spoiler

1 hour ago, Phobus said:

I'm also in the crowd that couldn't stand Titanic, and was underwhelmed by Avatar as well. 

I feel like I could say those movies suck for the reasons I think they do, which is the story being weak bordering on insulting in both. But everybody I've said that ever to responded with "But they looked amazing!"

That's when you know caring about the writing in movies is a zero sum game >_>

The Conjuring/Annabelle saga.

Any of the Friday 13th movies except for the first one.

The Chronicles of Narnia, whatever was its name.

The Harry Potter saga.

IT both old and new films.

Probably all of those, I'm not a guy that dislikes a lot of things when it comes to movies.

On 2/10/2020 at 6:23 PM, hybridial said:

But everybody I've said that ever to responded with "But they looked amazing!"

Well, to be fair, Avatar was easily one, if not the best looking movie when it came out, so no wonder it's being remembered for this. It definitely helped building a "realistic" (it's a sci fi movie, so... ), vibrant, and believable world that felt alive, but a movie being remembered just for the CGI is just like a game being remembered for its graphics and not for how deep and well-thought it was or how well it played. If it lacks substance it's pointless.

Edited by seed

On 2/9/2020 at 6:50 PM, Mr. Freeze said:

Akira. Just read the manga, it's far better. The movie bores me. 

Hey man Akira is the greatest animated movie of all time. The manga does kick ass as well.  Everyone here needs to see it before they do some shitty Hollywood remake 

Donnie Darko and Fight Club.

I was in high school when these movies came out and holy shit, it's like these were the only two films that existed. Go to a party and guaranteed one of them is on in the background.

Boring films that tried way too hard to be cool with their twists. No thank you.

Lord of the Rings is something I've tried to watch a couple of times but I just cannot get into it. The Harry Potter series also. Twilight too.

8 hours ago, DoOmEr4LiFe said:

Donnie Darko and Fight Club.

Oh, oh, yeah, Fight Club. That didn't particularly do anything for me. Donnie Darko I thought was alright, obviously though it just was a bit of an annoying fad at the time. 

1 hour ago, Rare Hatchiama said:

Anything starring Dwayne Johnson.

He hasn't even picked in to star in a movie I have any desire to watch his entire acting career so far. I'm sure he'll continue to make bank but no one is going to care about anything he's been in down the line, which means he'll never be the equivalent of Scharznegger or Stallone, because whatever you think of those guys, they starred in movies 20-30 years ago that endure. Even their mistakes in some cases. Hell, I think David Bautista did more in his acting career with 5 minutes starring in an actual good movie (Blade Runner 2049), is fun as Drax, and honestly he's got real acting chops. I think in the long run if he can land some more interesting roles people will remember him more than Johnson in the future. 

I also didn't like his wrestling persona either, which you can imagine put me in a minority. I mean, yes he was charismatic, but his character was an obnoxious douchebag. 

@hybridial

I completely agree with you regarding The Rock and his acting. Unlike you I was a huge fan of his when he wrestled but I have not seen him in a movie where I thought he was any good at acting. Dave Bautista is considerably more talented as an actor, in my opinion.

On 2/13/2020 at 3:09 PM, hybridial said:

Hell, I think David Bautista did more in his acting career with 5 minutes starring in an actual good movie (Blade Runner 2049), is fun as Drax, and honestly he's got real acting chops. I think in the long run if he can land some more interesting roles people will remember him more than Johnson in the future. 

I second this. Out of all the recent Wrestling stars who got turned into movie actors, Bautista is the one that's likely the most promising and the one who has evolved the most between movies. He's very obviously enjoying his roles too - it's painfully obvious he loved playing Drax for instance.

The Rock is okay too, but that's the issue here - he's just okay. Nothing to say about his WR persona as I don't like, watch, or care about Wrestling at all.

The Conjuring, The woman in black and Sinister were nothing more tham a simple mediocre scarefest. Don't get the praise 

John Wick movies: spectacular but otherwise all of them got boring at the end.

Frozen: way to generic and the songs are annoying

Sausage Party: chuckled few times but other than the nice metaphore it was forgettable and felt way too tryhardy.

Also most of the fantasy-teen adult movies

1 hour ago, HUNdebLeonidasX said:

John Wick movies: spectacular but otherwise all of them got boring at the end.

I can't believe I forgot about those movies, but then maybe that says a lot about how little of an impression they left on me. Somehow they make all those action scenes incredibly dull, probably because I never got invested in any of them. 

Titanic = never been interested in it. And that theme song, oh my.

On 2/17/2020 at 2:09 PM, hybridial said:

I can't believe I forgot about those movies, but then maybe that says a lot about how little of an impression they left on me. Somehow they make all those action scenes incredibly dull, probably because I never got invested in any of them. 

yeah, if anything I liked the frist simply just because of the music and the setting. I imagine it being much more fun as a max payne like shooter

I Like Scarface, Alien, Aliens, The Terminator 1 And 2, The Godfather, Predator, Rambo 1,2 And 3 And Even I Have The Terminator 1 And 2, Alien, Scarface And The Godfather On My USB.

MyScreenshot.jpg

On 2/21/2020 at 3:13 AM, pcorf said:

Titanic = never been interested in it. And that theme song, oh my.

Hey man that song's magical 

On 2/8/2020 at 7:46 AM, DRMman said:

For me it's Aliens.

Yes!

Fuck Aliens. Fuck James Cameron. Xenomorphs should be inhuman monsters, not fucking space ants. Aliens should have been about a single xenomorph massacring an entire battallion of Colonial Marines.

Apologies for the bump, but I just wanted to ask a question: Is there anyone else out there who hated Cabin in the Woods as much as I did? Fuck that film. It's an affront to the horror genre.

36 minutes ago, Sotenga said:

Apologies for the bump, but I just wanted to ask a question: Is there anyone else out there who hated Cabin in the Woods as much as I did? Fuck that film. It's an affront to the horror genre.

nope, it's just you

I enjoyed Cabin in the Woods, but I also think it can easily be read as an incel manifesto. Speaking of Joss Whedon and a clever sense of self-superiority, I recently re-watched Speed knowing that he heavily reworked the script, and looking back you can really see it. I say this as a diehard Firefly fan, mind.

I walked out of Scott Pilgrim. I have no interest in wallowing in adolescent insecurity and fantasies about girls fighting over you.

i absolutely HATE video game movies

oh im not talking about stuff like the doom movie no i mean stuff like ready player 1 or pixels

I HATE the asthetics of it i dunno why exactely since i like stuff like tron a lot i just hate game movies

Pulp fiction. Dialogue is crass and meandering. Characters are unlikeable apart from maybe Sam Jackson who gets most of the good dialogue.

Wow, never thought I'd see this get necroed, especially since it's one of my self admitted shitter threads.

Requiem for a dream. If I want to see stuff that's depressing for the sake of being depressing, reading my old Facebook posts from 10 years ago would do a better job.