Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DRM-MAN

What movie do you dislike but every else loves?

On 6/13/2021 at 3:14 AM, BaileyTW said:

Fight Club. It's not really because the movie is badly made or anything it's actually pretty good if you ignore one BIG thing, and that's that the movie absolutely butchers the book's message both by like making Tyler Durden too good (Brad Pitt just did too good of a job I suppose) and by making the ending a good ending, and just by in general not showing as much that "hey these empty radical views Tyler holds kinda suck". Because of that you got internet weirdos looking up to Tyler Durden as some sort of alpha and goddamn watching the movie absolutely pissed me off. Still a good movie, but sends a god awful harmful message and I am incapable of overlooking that and everyone I watched the movie with got to see a long rant about it from me. Hell I think Chuck Palahniuk, the author, likes the adaption, which makes absolutely no sense to me.

I have no idea how you could watch Fight Club and come away thinking Tyler Durden was meant to be the good guy. That's not the message at all. If some creep interprets Tyler Durden that way they had problems to begin with (just like with Taxi Driver or Joker) and the movie doesn't deserve to be thrown under the bus for that.

Yeah Fight Club is a terrifying documentary about how to create a group like the alt-right.

2 hours ago, TheMightyHeracross said:

I have no idea how you could watch Fight Club and come away thinking Tyler Durden was meant to be the good guy. That's not the message at all. If some creep interprets Tyler Durden that way they had problems to begin with (just like with Taxi Driver or Joker) and the movie doesn't deserve to be thrown under the bus for that.

Like I said, I know this is not supposed to be the case, but the movie didn't do enough of a convincing job to make Tyler unambiguously the bad guy. Maybe, no definitely, it's having the hindsight that an unhealthy amount of shitty individuals didn't make the connection that Tyler wasn't to be emulated, but can't get over it. The ending being a good ending does not help whatsoever with this.

1 hour ago, june gloom said:

Yeah Fight Club is a terrifying documentary about how to create a group like the alt-right.

Exactly what I took away from it, and probably why alt-right types or other weird Internet cults like Red Pill are the only ones who identify with him and similar characters. And again, that's no fault of the film, any more than Columbine was the fault of Doom and Nine Inch Nails.

29 minutes ago, BaileyTW said:

The ending being a good ending does not help whatsoever with this.

Did we watch the same movie?

I don't understand. Would it have been better if Tyler had a colorful supervillain costume and glowing red eyes, rubbed his hands together and laughed maniacally? A film shouldn't have to insult the audience's intelligence to get the point across.

32 minutes ago, [McD]James said:

Tyler wasn't in any way a good guy.

He was not, but when I'm sittin in my 8am class and the dude next to me gets my attention to show me a meme in which Tyler is the voice of some sort of reason, I get the feeling that the movie failed on some level to sledgehammer it in that Tyler is not supposed to be a role model.

Did we watch the same movie?

A film shouldn't have to insult the audience's intelligence to get the point across.

You're probably right there, ideally the film shouldn't have had to go to an insulting degree to convey the message. I guess my gripe is not that the movie was easy to misunderstand or something like that but that some people were dumb enough to misunderstand it in a way that is very ironic given the message of the book.

So in my way, the problem is s o c i e t y

Edited by BaileyTW

I happen to have heard the same about No Country for Old Men, Falling Down, The Wolf of Wall Street, Rick and Morty, Dirty Harry, The Sopranos, etc.

Fact of the matter is, as long as we keep making crime dramas about cool guys who kill anyone that insults or inconveniences them, at least someone out there is going to view them in a positive manner, but that's kind of an inevitability, the same way not everyone who will watch something will enjoy it, doesn't mean we should stop making them. I'd argue that the character from Falling Down is quite in-depth, compared to most action films, and I don't necessarily think it's invalidated because some mug on the internet says "I wish I could threaten fast food workers at gunpoint and not face consequences for it".

I gotta be perfectly honest, I never liked Halloween (1978). I remember being bored and basically just waiting for Michael to finish meandering to the next murder of some braindead teenager. I seriously didn't get what people found so scary or amazing about that movie. I enjoy Carpenter's other work like They Live and The Thing but Halloween was just a massive bore to me.

On 6/15/2021 at 1:39 PM, Redneckerz said:

Gravity.

This sci-fi got loving praise everywhere. Every single time i see it, i feel i am just looking at one continuous take of Sandra Bollock where nothing really ever happens.

I am sure i am missing a plot device here or a i am not smart. But i understand thought provocative movies.

So i chalked this one off as ''Just not for me.''

Wonder Woman.

Similar reasoning really. Its not a bad super hero flick, but there are loopholes to me that make little sense - I was sorely disappointed at release in cinema, one of the rare occassions where a movie in the cinema didn't do it for me.

No, gravity was terrible, it wasn't just you. Sandra Bullock is generally a very bad actress, and that movie brought out the mediocrity in her.

As for Wonder Woman, I watched maybe a third of it, and I came in during the last half, so I can't really comment on it. What I did see was boring, but I don't tend to like superhero movies anyway.

12 hours ago, Sena said:

I happen to have heard the same about No Country for Old Men, Falling Down, The Wolf of Wall Street, Rick and Morty, Dirty Harry, The Sopranos, etc.

Fact of the matter is, as long as we keep making crime dramas about cool guys who kill anyone that insults or inconveniences them, at least someone out there is going to view them in a positive manner, but that's kind of an inevitability, the same way not everyone who will watch something will enjoy it, doesn't mean we should stop making them. I'd argue that the character from Falling Down is quite in-depth, compared to most action films, and I don't necessarily think it's invalidated because some mug on the internet says "I wish I could threaten fast food workers at gunpoint and not face consequences for it".

I agree. I did like Joker in spite of the fact that internet dorks idolize the character in general.

On 2/8/2020 at 4:11 AM, Murdoch said:

(and this is from someone who counts Billy Connolly as a personal hero)

I'm just imagining a guy punching his boss in the face out of dignity right after he says that exactly.

Also maybe the fluffy movie, I don't mess with tv that much.

Surely not everything is so polarized? All of the characters mentioned contain complexities. You can certainly glean a few gems of wisdom from even the most disturbed individual, fictional or otherwise.

Personally, I don't need a film, book, or video game to spell out whether a character is "the bad guy".

2 minutes ago, INfront95 said:

Prometheus

oh sorry read it wrong. I thought it was movies you like.

12 minutes ago, leejacksonaudio said:

I just found out that my wife dislikes the following:

• Blazing Saddles

What? That's not possible. Are you absolutely sure that your wife wasn't replaced with an automaton at some point?

It seems far fetched, but that's the only likely explanation for someone not liking Blazing Saddles. It's one of the greatest comedy movies ever made.

Next she'll be telling you that she doesn't like Spaceballs, or Shaun of the Dead. God forbid she says she doesn't like Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

I hope for your future Mr. Jackson.

16 minutes ago, leejacksonaudio said:

• Airplane
  • Blazing Saddles

And I thought I knew her after 37 years.

i'm so sorry...

On 6/16/2021 at 1:20 PM, Sena said:

i really don't think falling down or dirty harry should be listed among the others, as those films explicitly glorify what they're doing. both are essentially conservative fantasies and are meant to appeal to those sorts of people.

Hereditary and Midsommer, I did enjoy the shock factor of these movies, but that was literally all they had going for them.  They weren't scary, please, stop telling me how scary they were, Dave.

2 hours ago, leejacksonaudio said:

• Airplane
  • Blazing Saddles

And I thought I knew her after 37 years.

I am so sorry. 

As someone who generally hates comedy as a genre I can see how someone could come to dislike Blazing Saddles. (I love Blazing Saddles, though.) But Blazing Saddles is more than a mere comedy.

7 hours ago, VanaheimRanger said:

Hereditary and Midsommer, I did enjoy the shock factor of these movies, but that was literally all they had going for them.  They weren't scary, please, stop telling me how scary they were, Dave.

I didn't see Hereditary but Midsommer did annoy me. Probably don't hate it, but I definitely did not like it. 

I actually only watched Airplane for the first time a couple of months ago. I didn't love it either, some of the comedy I think has dated. Some of it worked but some just did nothing for me. 

Pokemon: Detective Pikachu.

The movie starts out alright, but had me looking away from the screen due to some of the creature effects (Mewtwo in particular had me covering my eyes). Not all the CGI was bad, however. That big tree-dinosaur-turtle-thing looked amazing and Pikachu himself looks okay. But the vast majority of the effects made me literally cringe in my seat, and the Ditto part, I never want to experience again.

Some very odd tastes here, people not liking The Thing, Ghostbusters, Aliens, Evil Dead, Back To The Future, etc.

A film I hated was Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World, nothing about it was funny (the jokes being largely painfully unfunny), the story wasn't interesting, and the characters are either boring or insufferable. I haven't read the comic book, but the movie really doesn't make me want to either.

I can understand Fightclub, because there was a time when people just WOULDN'T shut their fucking mouths about it, quoting it non-stop. For Rambo: First Blood, I can't imagine someone calling it a brainless action movie about guns and muscles, that description is more befitting of like, Rambo III, the first one actually has a really fucking good story and some fantastic acting, probably the best acting Stallone has ever done.

Whiplash

The nonsensical plot, shallow, unlikeable characters (perhaps intentionally unlikeable), and the confusing message simply don't do it for me.

Maybe I didn't get it, but as it stands, it's the most overrated movie I've ever watched.

Edited by Kwisior

"Prom Night" (1980) is just disgusting disgrace, 1 hour of the movie is dedicated to getting ready for prom night, I could have watched someone's VHS tapes from the 80's, where's my bloody action and what the writer of this movie was under?

"What were they thinking?!" - James Rolf

Edited by Vanilla+Unicorn

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. It’s a good movie don’t get me wrong, but it is overrated and overhyped by everyone. Fistful of Dollars and For A Few Dollars More are far better films following The Man With No Name. Once Upon A Time in the West is a far better epic Western film in comparison as well. 

On 8/24/2023 at 5:33 AM, Kwisior said:

Whiplash

The nonsensical plot, shallow, unlikeable characters (perhaps intentionally unlikeable), and the confusing message simply don't do it for me.

Maybe I didn't get it, but as it stands, it's the most overrated movie I've ever watched.

I disagree with the plot being nonsensical, but I do hate the way it ends up vindicating the antagonist's toxic behavior. No one should have to suffer this sort of abuse, especially for something as ultimately unimportant as a musical career. It might have been anticlimactic to end the movie earlier when the antagonist gets fired, but it would have been a much healthier message to send than having the protagonist keep trying to prove himself to such a horrible prick.

As for me, I would say Christopher Nolan's Oppenheimer: I already hate the director and the movie is yet another case of focusing exclusively on a genocidal war criminal and portraying sympathetically all because he felt sad afterwards. Truman was a horrible human being, but I was totally with him when he called Oppenheimer a "crybaby". Like, seriously, what were you expecting there, genius?