Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
4shockblast

Beat 1000 Records Month (Feb 7 to Mar 11)

If you want easy points for the last day, you can pick loh2 MAP10 UV Max (this one, unlike MAP09, with -complevel 9, otherwise a staircase will not build properly and you will not exit). Also, plenty of my records unbeaten! I think the easiest ones should be bldnight 5, requiem 29 and sid 2.

Probably my last entry in this competition; don't think I'll have the time to beat another record today.

Plutonia 2
MAP31 UV Fast in 6:22.80 (was 6:52.66 by Blob1024, 2014)

Demo: pl2f31-622.zip
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZdLMJQ8UaU

Cybernation... oh boy. I tried the UV Max record route of [Tatsurd-cacocaco] with fast monsters, only to fail miserably. It turns out that UV Max required MOVING the cyberdemons around, to delay killing them until you have the BFG. This is definitely the fastest strategy; the problem is: FAST MONSTERS. The cyberdemons don't move at all; they continuously fire as they see you. So I went for the slow strategy, using the route of [blob1024, 2014], and slowly killing 2 cyberdemons with plasma.

Managed to squeeze in one last run through the time limit! (well, depending on the timezone... it's still the 11th... right? :)

Plutonia
MAP28 UV Fast in 7:25.06 (was 8:01.63 by Cyberdemon531, 2017)

Demo: pl28f-725.zip
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jYosepMTRs

I tried to replicate the UV Max route on UV Fast, which is doable on this map. However, sometimes, some monsters got stuck and did not teleport into the blue key area. I never saw this happen in regular UV, so I suppose it is related to the fast monsters. Maybe some pinkies line-skip the teleporter with their turbo speed? Either way, this bug kills so many runs... it's really annoying.

Sunlust

Map 05 UV-Max in 2:54 (was 2:57 by j4rio ) I didn't want to post this run as I know i can get a low 2:40 but I guess the month is over and I had no time to improve it :p 

sl05-254.zip

End of day March 11 is now upon us, so I guess the month is up. :)

Congrats to TheV1perKiller for taking the top position of the month, sweeping the rest of the competition with 360 points! Here's the full leaderboard:

🥇 1. TheV1perKiller  360
🥈 2. 4shockblast     231
🥉 3. ELMLE           211
4. JonaG           201
5. Dubzzz          130
6. Tezur0          100
7. Coincident       90
8. depr4vity        80
9. vdgg             67
10. Kyle McAwesome  35
11. GrumpyCat       30
12. Aquasa          30
13. lirui1001       25
14. NoisyVelvet     25
15. Andromeda       25
16. Revved          20
17. Bob9001         20
18. Xit Vono        20
19. Kraflab         20
20. rdwpa           20
21. tchkb           20
22. Grazza          15
23. almostmatt1     10
24. Keyboard_Doomer 10
25. Dwaze           10
26. Rotwang         10
27. Vile            10
28. TheLoneliness   10
29. Neil Kloster    10
30. Poncho           6
31. Krankdud         5
32. GarrettChan      5
33. Noobest          5
34. Scorpius         5
35. Killer5          5
36. eLim             5
37. NightTerror      5

With 375 demos beaten, 13 pages, and 37 participants (!), this might be the most popular demo month yet, although more demos were probably recorded in '94 and no demos months. Suggestions are welcome for the next event people want to see. :)

Edited by 4shockblast

Hats off to the idea. It attracted many players, including veterans. It showed how breaking records can be fun, and, at the same time, not as impossible, as one would think. Some long standing and "close to optimal" runs were beaten.

On the other hand, some randomly chosen records were, in fact, easy to beat. The point system encouraged minimum effort with these as well (first exit below the old record time), but I am glad to see it rather an exception, than the rule.

Though I was not even close to winning, I am very satisfied with my demos. I have 15 demos here. I didn't beat myself (as a rule, I wanted to leave my 28 spreadsheet runs to the others), I also recorded on 15 different WADs beating 15 different people (these two "rules" were not planned). Some of the demos are among my personal best. My best demo for the thread would be ruler UV Max in 1:47. Also kind of proud and surprised at the same time, as out my 28 old records more than half still remain.

With one more extra week I am sure I would have 10-20 more points. @4shockblast, one day that etrnyour MAP04 demo will be beaten ;)

Congratulations to all the participants, especially to those who were higher than me (places 1-8). TheV1perKiller not only won  (72 demos, wow!), but his demos are of his usual quality. I have to say, I didn't watch many of his demos yet, his was too fast to post them. I especially liked his dodead E1M3 Max, 10sector MAP17 Max, it is also worth noticing that he got 100% secrets on the mega ugly serenity map. I don't have access to my notes now which were left on the other computer, they would give me hint as which runs from the others impressed me. From my memory, Vile's plutonia MAP12 NM Speed was great: the pixelated pain elemental occupied the whole screen for 1 second  I think, which is more than 10% of the time of the run ;)

Thank you all, this was fun.

This was a very fun challenge, it gave me a chance to experience WADs I had not yet played. It also gave me the opportunity to top some very difficult runs (Veinen's CC3 MAP02 Uv-max, or j4rio's CC4 MAP11), which proved to be very good practice. I don't really care about coming 1st, I just wanted not only to fill the table as best as I could, but also to try other people's works.

As @vdgg pointed out above, it encourages any player to give this an attempt, and have a good time in the process. A shame though that a select handful of records couldn't be broken from the beginning.

I do hope that a monthly challenge similar to this one will be planned soon, I thoroughly enjoyed it! Thanks for organising it, to those involved. :)

@4shockblast I think you skipped this post. It's not very important, it's just 5 points and doesn't change the leaderboards. But for completeness sake, I thought I'd mention it.

Anyway thanks for the competition, it was a lot of fun. I liked the "random demos" format because, as a new player, it allowed me to pick some less played categories to run and still achieve some records without grinding the same thing for weeks. Variety is the spice of life; and this challenge was full of it :)

The only small critique I have is that, because of the "1st to beat gets 5 points rule", this format discouraged direct competition. I know this was exactly the objective, but overall I felt like each player was beating different records alone; so all the players here were kind of disconnected (except for a few cases where people actually went to improve an already beaten record for 1 point).

Bottom line: it was great :) thank you!

Edited by Coincident

Thanks for the opportunity to improve my speedrunning skills, but I've got a long journey ahead of me. Improvements are obviously needed and I'm willing to try, just need a LOT of practice. Still satisfied with my MM2 MAP12 NM-Speed run in 33s. Its something, I guess! :D

Congrats to everyone who did a lot better than me, especially the top 15. You all deserve it!

Awesome event shock, I'm happy that I actually beat a demo by a legendary player!

Was a lot of fun trying to beat other demos too, but seems I have much to learn still as I could not beat any other records.

However, with TNT EP2 Max done, I guess I should do EP3 sometime soon...

Cheers for the event!

Thanks for the event although I didn't have time to actively participate in it. More these interesting ideas in the future would be cool.

It's funny that I was looking forward to somebody beating my 50mon Map01 and not looking forward to somebody beating it at the same time. You know, as a "noob", I just want to have a record :P  At least it tanked this month for some reason.

For BTSX E1M05, it's interesting to look at my previous run (beaten by rdwpa) and found out that run was really bad, or maybe how much (obviously none) I did improve in these 2 years I guess. I was too late to put up my TJ Map01 run, but reading the .txt file and I thought that map can't be lowered than 1:20 back then. It's obviously wrong... and I remembered I took like 5 hours to beat Memfis at that moment.

Overall, it's just quite interesting to visit something from myself in the past for sure.

This was good way to kill time before Eternal.
Also got some runs that I'm proud with. And a lot of sick demos were produced!
Maybe I'll even go back to filling Reverie ILs again, who knows :D

Indeed, a good contest month. I didn't have much time to participate (book to write, trip to India to prepare for, yadda yadda), but it still gave me motivation to spend a little more time than I would have done Dooming this month.

One thing I'm curious about is which demos people spent most time trying unsuccessfully to beat. Fortunately I didn't have time to get obsessed with any impossible tasks this time around. :)

Oh yes, and congratulations to the winners, and anyone who recorded anything really nice.

30 minutes ago, Grazza said:

One thing I'm curious about is which demos people spent most time trying unsuccessfully to beat. Fortunately I didn't have time to get obsessed with any impossible tasks this time around. :)

It would of been Sunlust Map 05 Max but i beat that last day of the contest.. otherwise I think it was 50 shades Map 01 Max by 4ShockBlast :p 

Neat contest. Produced quite a few demos I enjoyed watching. I enjoyed my dabbling too.

The top points gainers deserve the praise they're getting, but my favorite outcomes would be Bob's TNT episode max (winner imo :P), one by Aquasa for a map of mine (selfishly :P), and some of the lower-volume participants contributing stuff like AV m05 max (Vile), SWTW m02 max (ZZul), and Scythe D2ALL (eLim) -- all cool runs that show the ambient value of an event isn't limited to people trying to win it. I'm also flattered that my several runs survived in the contest interval (except the 0:18 Doom Jr max, which likely would have been done by someone else if I hadn't gotten to it).

Edited by rdwpa