Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Revenant100

Hard G: A Gibbing Speedrunning Challenge

Before getting stuck into this, I can’t help but wonder if the trick will relate to gibbing frames having lower tic delays than regular death frames. Guess I’ll find out!

I considered making a comment on that video asking if gameplay was actually affected this way, but I had no idea how to phrase it. I should have known you'd come to the rescue.

19 hours ago, Diabolución said:

It seems like the CWILV00 lump is too wide.

https://i.imgur.com/Dm6zzY4.png

A careful and thorough analysis of these present circumstances has come to the conclusion that the missing letters here are uncritical to essential functions and therefore deemed acceptable losses.

Bonus content: In the making of this WAD, not only have the significant gameplay ramifications between gibbing and non-gibbing deaths been summarily demonstrated, it also revealed just how the monstrously broken the monster death collision behavior in GZDoom's default compatibility settings really is. Observe!

Boy howdy, that's a big difference! No wonder there are frauds out there who prefer to use GZDoom for speedrunning!

Edited by Revenant100

On 2/9/2020 at 3:11 PM, Revenant100 said:

it also revealed just how the monstrously broken the monster death collision behavior in GZDoom's default compatibility settings really is.

One mans monstrously broken is another mans magnificently improved. I actually love this change, it just makes for faster paced gameplay as a result of getting stuck on things less as you barrel through hordes. I can see why this would bother some people though, especially in the world of speedrunning. It certainly gives an unfair advantage to GZDoom (that said, as far as I'm aware, no one in the speedrunning world takes GZDoom speedruns very seriously, anyways).

On 2/11/2020 at 5:39 AM, RonnieJamesDiner said:

One mans monstrously broken is another mans magnificently improved. I actually love this change, it just makes for faster paced gameplay as a result of getting stuck on things less as you barrel through hordes. I can see why this would bother some people though, especially in the world of speedrunning. It certainly gives an unfair advantage to GZDoom (that said, as far as I'm aware, no one in the speedrunning world takes GZDoom speedruns very seriously, anyways).

I personally see playing GZDoom to be always playing Doom with mods, even if no external mods are used. But playing with mods can be better experience sometimes and with mods all source ports can be broken.

Edited by banjiepixel : now with fixed version