Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zylinderkatze

1995 called. They want their Doom levels back.

Thanks everyone for the kind words, optimism and encouragement. It plays a big role in my motivation to carry on, on top of my own excitement to get this whole thing out into the world. Your positive influence should not go unmentioned. So.. thank you!

My weekend was spent with widely non-Doom-related activity, aside from a rather old-school "LAN Party" which I went to, though no Doom was being played there. Why did I even go? xD Actually, though, I did get Zandronum and Doomseeker up and running and even got a server set up ..but other people there weren't old-school enough (?) to want to try it.. and I didn't want to try to force anyone ^^;

But at least now I know how to configure a server in Doomseeker- and I did look into some skulltag maps, Brutal Doom, etc in the process.

Now back to the editing of my own levels. More news soon!

And now it's in-game! 

e1m1-wip2.png.541d774177e353c4e1ffab66f8b83415.png

Not a major update this time. But two steps forward nevertheless:

1. As you can see, I finally cleaned up my "E1M0.WAD" in SLADE, with all the image replacements.. just look at that glorious sky! It's still the original image I made in 1996.. and I think it shows! By which I mean I think it kind of sucks. But I might just keep it anyways, for sentimental reasons. At least for now.
  2. I had a "minor revelation" about the point through which the player will access the (b)locked weapon (as mentioned before). There will be a maintenance access pathway, bypassing parts of the main part of the map.

..and after I wrote "2.", of course I couldn't just leave it at that and "quickly" built the first conceptual version of the room that holds the weapon you can't get to:

e1m1-wip3.png.84a6ecc10686d2e24a8da6ef83c3f47f.png

But now I really need to sleep ^^;

4 hours ago, Zylinderkatze said:

As you can see, I finally cleaned up my "E1M0.WAD"

not fully. there are still demons inside! ;-)

13 hours ago, tam said:

Holy hecc! It's an in-game screenshot!!!

It looks real cool and I wanna play it so bad, why must you tease me like this

Hehe ^^ Thank you for the life infusion, @tam xD

I'm working on it with due haste- but I don't want to rush it. I will likely be able to finish it up this weekend- but you may know of the whole 80/20 rule.. "the last 20% of the task will take 80% of the time".. so I don't want to promise anything. 

Currently, the level feels a tad bit too "narrow" in parts.. which is a common mistake I've been making in the past. One of my reasons for remodeling the levels is to  avoid / undo too crammed areas.. but in this particular level it actually makes sense. Because it's an Oil Rig and places like that can crammed (in my understanding). It's a small rig xD

More like this:

2103-SOEI-f2.gif

And not so much like this:

6b1fd30920fe1fda005310de9a689613--oil-rig-labrador.jpg

But you'll be able to see for yourself, soon.. ish. ^^;

1 minute ago, Zylinderkatze said:

Those are for you to clear out, though.

eh.. "if you want it to be done right, do it yourself!" then. ok, i have my double-barreled cleaner ready! ;-)

Also, I am very much considering keeping the old name of everything- episodes, the megawad / project and all. Or at least in parts. Even though it very much reflects how bad my English was, 20-something years ago.. and how "under 20" I was ^^;

I just think it feels very 90s that way. You'll know what I mean once I get to the name of the next level (the canyon level) ^^;

1 hour ago, tam said:

Looks scribbly.

I know by now I'm just teasing and I should instead just get ahead and finish the thing up.. but I am. I just wasn't, when I scribbled that ^^

I was at work (shh don't tell anyone), where I can't work on my levels, for obvious, real and sad reasons. But I had a good idea regarding the transition between two "loose ends" in the level - which led to that drawing.. and I thought I might as well share it ^^

Fluff:

I rather enjoy how I'm all the way back into the whole "seeing the world around me with different eyes" as I'm scanning for inspiration for level architecture.. and scribbling down little bits and pieces.. just like the old days c:

Actual Update:

I've got the whole E1M1 layout either done for real or, where I haven't, done in my head. Now it's just a matter of finishing it all up.

Then, I suppose I'll publish the old '97 version alongside the '20 version and post the link here. So you people on here can see them side by side ^^ Sound good?

Though I predict that'll still be another week.

1 hour ago, Zylinderkatze said:

I've got the whole E1M1 layout either done for real or, where I haven't, done in my head. Now it's just a matter of finishing it all up.

Then, I suppose I'll publish the old '97 version alongside the '20 version and post the link here. So you people on here can see them side by side ^^ Sound good?

Though I predict that'll still be another week.

Yes, sound good, now giv >:CCC

For real though, I appreciate how much time you're sinking into this, it really does feel like a project with a ton of passion put into it. Keep keepin' on! 
i'll keep your ancient chinese secret

6 hours ago, Zylinderkatze said:

make them two episodes! no, really, put them into different episode slots, and it will be fun to play one, and then start another to compare without quiting the game.

8 hours ago, tam said:

a ton of passion

Yes. yesyes :) It's borderline frightening, how continually invested I am in this. I guess it's a.. demon that's been sleeping for a long time and now I am but a mere vessel for its nefarious actions. It's kinda hot.

I am very much looking forward to finishing it up and I am thinking that I'll be able to keep my self-set goal of "end of february (2020)" for the "E1M1-97 vs. E1M1-20" pair to hit "/idgames/".

For that I am thinking I might actually go with @ketmar's suggestion (putting the new one in E1M1 and the old one in E2M1).

Let's just hope that once this one (with the total redo from scratch) is done, the remaining episode will be "remodeled" in less time :D

4 hours ago, roboticmehdi2 said:

Keep it coming.

Keep it vanilla.

1) Oh I will.

2) I am trying my best to maintain a vanilla vibe (aside from not using any of the new ports' fancy features). Thing is, I am a faint bit worried that the new editor features that make editing (along with height- and texture aligning) so much more of a breeze has me adding more detail than I would have, in 1997. I'll let you be the judge if it's still "vanilla enough". If not, I am going to publish the original '97 E1M1 alongside the renewed one :)

I'm currently finishing up the area from my previous post (the "dark outside" one). There will be a transport crane and a helipad and then the top level of the Rig will be done. Then it's just the inside left to connect two loose ends to each other and "spread some things" (i.e. monsters and pickups by difficulty) then I'm done.

Still some ways to go. But I'm going :)

Too much? Yeah I think so, too1

e1m1-wip5.png.751990a57d616b8acfee3166ff67bb89.png

Just an "off the beaten path of cleaning up the level" practice session for myself: Which actions to try out for hiding / revealing the weapon.

What I did during the majority of my spare time today, though, was.. dreary details. Meaning, I made sure that what's hinted at as "above you" when you're in the middle of the rig lines up with the outline of the top level of the rig. Some stuff didn't.. and required some unexpected remodeling.

But that's one thing off the "fine tuning" list. I'm happy with it.

1 As in: The rifle AND how it's locked up xD

Mad, nice details! I wonder what more detailef stuff you have in store for us.

Sunday update: Not much, because of social life xD 

• Found out that the stuff I did yesterday caused some HOM on the top area. Found a way around it but I'm not 100% satisfied with that workaround.
  • Added a(nother) connection between top and middle layer which tied up two loose ends, improves level flow ..and gave me an idea on how to get the player back down to sea level "in style" once the objectives are done.
  • Reached the point where I've seen my own level too much and it feels a bit old but I know that's just because I've been working on it for 3+ weeks now xD

Sorry for the wait, btw ^^

Maybe screenshots tomorrow~

Goodnight!

Just got through this whole thread. Looks so cool! Props for reviving an old project of yours Zylin. I am interested in playing it too. :O

18 hours ago, tam said:

way too good to be in a Doom game before 1995 :o

I dearly hope that the map / mission (and, ultimately, the whole episode) will live up to this high praise.. and the expectations set into it (by myself, as well). 

I'm cautiously optimistic that it will be fun to play and well-designed. Or at least one of the two :D

Also, I am very curious about feedback, once I do publish it; So I am, in my own way, just as eager for it to be available to everyone :)

8 hours ago, Cubefleet said:

Just got through this whole thread. Looks so cool! Props for reviving an old project of yours Zylin. I am interested in playing it too. :O

Thanks so much! And welcome to this thread, as well as Doomworld in general! :D

What's this? What's this?

e1m1-wip6.png.bfdb9bd69a04024117208ef26771e2f8.png

It's the revised version of this early scene!

Texture changes, because it makes more sense with the rest of the level to use Concrete. Also, it's a nice contrast to the dark green that it keeps intersecting with.

Also, I just test-played the rest of the level and even though there's still some details missing, it already feels rather nice.

Just wanted to show what kind of revising steps I am currently undergoing.

But now the only "going" I'll do is "to bed".

Goodnight!

Remember what I said about the 80/20 rule? All the fine-tuning and detailing is taking its fair toll (insert sweatdrop emoji)

I'm still working on this about 3 - 4 hours each day in my spare time (because I'm still stoked xD). So fear not. Progress is being made. Considerably, too.

Though, just like "back in the day", my desire to fulfill my own vision in the best possible way is still as strong.. only the tools are better. Which means I think this time I'll actually end up being satisfied enough to publish it xD

Watch this space- I'll keep feeding you more screenshots of the progress, until the final step.