Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zylinderkatze

1995 called. They want their Doom levels back.

A little comparison:

The starting room, then and now.

That was then:

e1m5b1.png

This is now:

e1m5b2.png

However, It's not final, of course. The "now" is kind of lacking the oppressive "weight" of the thick marble slab above. I might lower the "DEM1_*" ceiling a bit again.. and adjust the ceiling in general, it feels too green now.

It's just a quick first look, really, at the.. renewal efforts ^^

More soon~

Edited by Zylinderkatze

"How about now?"

Here's an update. the new now, if you will:

e1m5b3.png

Align align, align align.

It's like "then" and "now" had a baby xD

Thankful.

I have to admit, looking back at the progression- my progression- from the beginning of the year until now.. I am .. thankful that I have the original source material from 199X to anchor me to the "old school" days ^^;

Because with stuff like the last two screenshots (the "new now" and the very.. structurally unsound GSTONE wall), I seem to be slowly transcending into a more "realistic" (?) approach, more detailed, more in line with the "new school", in some ways. I think.

Not that I am there yet- I am still ways away from the greats and what has transpired while I was gone- but still. I feel like the original levels kind of keep me rooted, in a good way.

I guess we won't know what a "completely new, from scratch" level would look like, from me, until after this project is done. If you don't count my one Speedmapping challenge participation on here, which was low-ish on detail for other reasons (such as time constrains.. and lack of familiarity with Boom) ^^;

The cool thing is: I am still highly motivated to keep this going, even though I am 4 maps in already (or 5, depending on whether you count the one I just started).

I could even see myself revive the "E2" concepts which I had back in the day but of which I lost everything aside from E2M1 (which sucks because the bonus level I had 20% done was pure sugar coated terror :3)

We'll see how my views might change by the time I am done with E1 ^^;

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

Addendum ("Thankful Part 2")

I am also very thankful for you people on here; Your support, (constructive) criticism and humor. Which sounds like a weird summary. Definitely an incomplete one.

So.. Thank you. You're helping :)

This actually looks like something I would enjoy, especially with all the 90's dust on it (i.e the history of it, just to clarify incase it gets misinterpreted). I can honestly say I don't think I have ever played a map based around an oil-rig.

I'm always happy to see some old school stuff. I personally believe it's a good thing to have new vanilla maps along with the modern maps. Sometimes you just want to relax and kill demons in interesting environments. Other times you might be in the mood for eye-candy maps that have taken months to complete. They all have their place and both mapstyles (vannila/modern) can be just as memorable if well designed. 

I don't think the bricks make it modern, that's just a little detailing to spice the aesthetics up in my book. It shows the mapper has some passion/imagination for his map. I wouldn't worry about it.

Either way, best of luck in your endeavours.

I love how you update every day! I love looking at amazing screenshots like that! is this still a WIP or has it been released? 

The dislodged marble bricks are cool, I like them. One of the maps in Congestion 1024 did the same sort of thing

4 hours ago, Horus said:

The dislodged marble bricks are cool, I like them. One of the maps in Congestion 1024 did the same sort of thing

This is where my (intentional?) ignorance / lack of active self-exposure to other work comes to bite me in the [redacted].

Though, that said, I do believe that I saw something among these lines somewhere before, in a screenshot here or there.. even if I couldn't pinpoint the "where", exactly. So thank you for the heads up.  think I also saw a version where someone used the skybox for it.. I think.. but I never checked that out in game (or editor).. I'll have to check out how they did it in their map :)

What I mean to say is: I am not even going to claim that it's my idea.. but I am satisfied with how it turned out, here. ^^

Sadly, this took me 2 hours at least and it's only one side of a "bricks on either side of a MARBFACE" setup.. so it'll ber another hour at least to finish the other side, even with now knowing how I did it on the other side.. and also probably not going quite as detailed on that side xD

Either way, it'll be a nice "better watch out, something's not right here" mood setter.

INFO: There's an updated version of this response further down the thread xD

Edited by Zylinderkatze : (added the link to the follow up)

14 minutes ago, LiT_gam3r said:

I love how you update every day! I love looking at amazing screenshots like that! is this still a WIP or has it been released? 

Hey @LiT_gam3r! Good to see you. 

Yes, it's still ongoing.. probably will, for another few months, until it's all finished. I'm at E1M5 now, out of a full Doom1 Episode set of 8 + 1.

My plan is to have it done this year but with the amount of time I am sinking into this (and the fact that I still have an actual job), I am only inching ahead at about 2 hours of editing / mapping a day.

I did publish the "beta" versions (for the lack of a.. beta name.. haha.. ha) of E1M1 - E1M4 and linked them in the very first post of this thread.. but they are really just that; Early versions that will be revised again before I pack them all up in the end. 

There is "thing placement" for all difficulties, for example.. but I only playtested (and pseudo- / semi-balanced) it on difficulty 3 / HMP. Other difficulties will likely have an abundance (or utter lack) of ammunition and/or health.

I am pretty sure that the current map (E1M5) will take at least a month to finish cleaning it up, at my pace (which means it'll take two).

But please do keep checking back- as you said yourself, I update this pretty much every day xD

1 hour ago, Final Verdict said:

This actually looks like something I would enjoy, especially with all the 90's dust on it (i.e the history of it, just to clarify incase it gets misinterpreted). I can honestly say I don't think I have ever played a map based around an oil-rig.

I'm always happy to see some old school stuff. I personally believe it's a good thing to have new vanilla maps along with the modern maps. Sometimes you just want to relax and kill demons in interesting environments. Other times you might be in the mood for eye-candy maps that have taken months to complete. They all have their place and both mapstyles (vannila/modern) can be just as memorable if well designed. 

I don't think the bricks make it modern, that's just a little detailing to spice the aesthetics up in my book. It shows the mapper has some passion/imagination for his map. I wouldn't worry about it.

Either way, best of luck in your endeavours.

Greetings, @Final Verdict! Welcome to this beast of a thread ^^;

Concerning the Oil Rig: If you do decide to test the beta versions linked in the first post, be "warned": The Oil Rig (E1M1) map ends prematurely.

• Planned: You disable the rig and then escape the rig on a boat (with which you then arrive in E1M2, which is already done)
  • Current: The level ends when you trigger the switch mentioned above.. without the escape part. This is because I ran into a few "too much detail for Vanilla Doom" woes that would've taken too much time to resolve.. and I had already been working on that level for.. very long, by then.

However, if you do want to extend your play time in that map, try finding the Yellow Key Card on the top level of the rig. It's completely optional and only needed if you want to get to the Plasma Gun. I went a little overboard with that optional section of the level xD

Also, don't worry about being misinterpreted.. I am usually in a mindset where I assume that someone didn't mean something they said in a negative sense.

Speaking of misinterpretation, though.. (dun dun dunn) ..or rather, phrasing something in a way that might be misconstrued: When I spoke / wrote of my levels approaching a "new school" or "realistic" feel (or that I am glad that I am staying rooted because of the levels having a sort of "legacy" to them) ..I didn't necessarily mean that they look too modern but rather that my mapping style is (hopefully) improving in fidelity.

..or maybe we're having two seperate conversations right now ^^;

Either way- hello, welcome, stay a while and listen :)

4 hours ago, Horus said:

I didn't clarify this earlier but I figured I'd give some detail on how I ended up with those bricks ^^

Here's my process:

This is what the room looked like in 1997:

e1m5c1.png

Alright. Yeah. I guess. Who needs details, eh?

I made the room a little bigger and decided for GSTONE1:

e1m5c2.png

Okay.. slightly better. But still lacking.

Then I though to myself.. "self? Wouldn't it be cool if it looked like the stones are kind of peeling off and shifting forward?" ..and my self replied "hell yeah!"

And then I ended up with this:

e1m5c3.png

Uhhnf~

So it was a process, really- but what I meant is that I am sure I saw something like it before and it likely stuck with me subconsciously and came back to me now. 

Good thing it did.. because -as I said- I rather like how it turned out :3

Also, yes, this means I am done with both sides now ^_^

Goodnight!

21 hours ago, Zylinderkatze said:

Greetings, @Final Verdict! Welcome to this beast of a thread ^^;

Concerning the Oil Rig: If you do decide to test the beta versions linked in the first post, be "warned": The Oil Rig (E1M1) map ends prematurely.

• Planned: You disable the rig and then escape the rig on a boat (with which you then arrive in E1M2, which is already done)
  • Current: The level ends when you trigger the switch mentioned above.. without the escape part. This is because I ran into a few "too much detail for Vanilla Doom" woes that would've taken too much time to resolve.. and I had already been working on that level for.. very long, by then.

However, if you do want to extend your play time in that map, try finding the Yellow Key Card on the top level of the rig. It's completely optional and only needed if you want to get to the Plasma Gun. I went a little overboard with that optional section of the level xD

Also, don't worry about being misinterpreted.. I am usually in a mindset where I assume that someone didn't mean something they said in a negative sense.

Speaking of misinterpretation, though.. (dun dun dunn) ..or rather, phrasing something in a way that might be misconstrued: When I spoke / wrote of my levels approaching a "new school" or "realistic" feel (or that I am glad that I am staying rooted because of the levels having a sort of "legacy" to them) ..I didn't necessarily mean that they look too modern but rather that my mapping style is (hopefully) improving in fidelity.

..or maybe we're having two seperate conversations right now ^^;

Either way- hello, welcome, stay a while and listen :)

I will indeed give it a spin if I get the chance. I'm genuinely interested in trying it out. However, I have a bit of a backlog to get through at the moment so I'll see how it goes.

As for the misinterpreted thing: No worries, it's more muscle memory than anything else. You know how it is now, people always misconstrue the meaning on the internet and it's not always deliberate. Text format probably doesn't help :D

Ah, and thanks for the cordial welcome. I'll be sure to come back and check on progress. Once again: best of luck in your endeavours.

Levels look nice and modestly detailed, I could never do daily updates like this.

4 hours ago, Armaetus said:

Levels look nice and modestly detailed, I could never do daily updates like this.

Hey @Armaetus! Thanks for the cautious appreciation xD I don't know you yet so I don't know how much of a compliment that was.. but it's good to see you either way!

I'm trying to maintain a decent level of detail while at the same time making sure that the levels don't exceed Vanilla / Chocolate Doom limits. Which means that the level of detail is limited by those.. limits ^^; ..and by my own (occasional lack of) versatility and skill when it comes to making the most out of those limits :) 

Also I don't want to stray too far from the original maps from 1997 (with the exception of E1M1 which is a complete rebuild). There's another example of that coming up in my next post x3

"My next post"

Here's an example of today's renewal efforts. Or at least one snapshot of it, at one angle. There's a bunch more that happened behind the scenes.

Here's the old version from 1997:

e1m5d1.png

Brown and some more brown, with a few odd light levels and too much "sector effect 8"

And here's the current state of it, after some careful mending:

e1m5d2.png

Still a lot of brown. I'm not 100% satisfied with it yet but it's better. I think.

Also: Guess what direction you come from xD

I chose a marble floor (currently "DEM1_5") because it kind of picks up the GSTONE1 / SP_DUDE1 from the wall (and the GSTONE1 from the room you came from at this point).. Also, because I wanted less brown in this room. Not sure about the SATYR above the outcrop. I might switch it to a slab of GSTSATYR instead (or remove it entirely) but I'm leaving it for now :)

Also, it's 11:30pm here and I am finally going to try to go to bed before midnight for once xD

So.. goodnight!

One more thing..

Just a minor thing, I'd say.. but the room from yesterday's update is already bumping into a few limits that you can only see at a few choice angles. In this case it's not so much a detail problem but one of angles and closeness of lines and vertices. Basically mini slime trails.

Here's one:

e1m5d3.png

Shucks.

And here's another, in the circle:

e1m5d4.png

So cute! :3

Not fixing this until ever later.

Okay but now, seriously.. goodnight :)

Just a small update today

Had a long work day at the end of a long work week so I am not going to work well into the night today. Instead just a small update of what is the beginning of "feeling out how to touch up the labyrinth" (excellent title for a self-help book, there).

Here's the area I covered yesterday, vs. today:

e1m5e3.png

There was more that I did yesterday but this is the part that's connected :)

Details about the "today" bit:

Here's an in-editor view of what (little) I did. I am still trying to gauge what "feels right" in this area so it's little things for now.

I don't think that I want to completely rebuild an area.. for once xD

Old version, ca. 1997, at two angles:

e1m5e1.png + e1m5e5.png

There's some diversity and even detail.. but.. not really. It's all very flat.

Newish version, ca. 10 minutes ago, at very similar angles:

e1m5e2.png + e1m5e4.png

Not really sure about the rectangular passageway on the left but it does have recognition value.

I'll sleep on it and then see what happens tomorrow xD

Possibly good things.

But for now: sleep!

G'bye!

Edited by Zylinderkatze

Not much to report today

Felt kind of "bleh" or "meh" today (whichever you prefer). Headache and such. So I only spent about an hour or two on the level.

However, I made some more progress with how to reorganize / restructure stuff inside the labyrinth. Recurring elements like these outcrops, for example.

Going from this:

e1m5e6.png

"Things" are not rendered but these store health vials / bonuses

To this:

e1m5e7.png

Different location, this is only for demonstration.

I might still change it but it already looks better, I think.

Playing around

I added a little hint on how to get to the landing pads 2 and 3. It's a little "sure why not" idea that struck me and that I wanted to try out but I'm not sure if I'll keep it- or keep it this way, at least:

e1m5e8.png

The original textures are really lacking arrows ^^;

I might make the area to the left and right of the "arrows" black, too.. the silver is too stark a contrast (cue shrug emoji).

Further bits and pieces

Also some thing placement (and ambush behavior).. and I will have some adjustments to do about how you get the Plasma Gun.. because as it stands right now it's simply behind a hidden door and you don't even know that it's there. There's certainly better way how to handle it, tease its location a bit.. I already have a few ideas..

..but I'm heading back to bed now xD

Stuff! And things!

Oh my.

Okay, so today there's a bit more to show. I revamped(?) the landing / loading bay(s) and it ended up an ecclectic mix. Somewhere between the original from 1997, a little bit like what I had "retouched" in 2010 (as far as I could remember) and a lot of.. "new".

It went from this:

e1m5f1.png

Very brown and retro, also no effort to hide the lit ceiling from the illuminated "-2-" on the floor

To this (it's 2 different bays but they all look similar):

e1m5f2.png

Admittedly it looks a bit "loud" but it feels good to me when I play it

Also there's a "secret" connecting room (between the bays 2 and 3) which underwent some "minor" transformations.

Before:

e1m5f3.png

Not shown in this picture: Abundant use of sector effect 8

Now:

e1m5f4.png

Oh so that's how they get to ceiling computers.

There's a way to lower that METAL1 column.. but currently no reason to do so. Also there's an elevated outlook now (since this is an air-/space-port of sorts), which makes all kinds of sense (no sarcasm for once). It's "behind you" in the "Now"-picture, above. Problem ist, it doesn't currently offer any bonus / pickup to the player. I'll check during my test-playing whether it's a place for ammo.. or health.. or both :)

I might make it so that you can jump to a ledge from that column and get to some bonus area.. but I don't want to waste too much time right now on building scenery that's new. Since my main focus is (or should be) renewing what's already there ^^;

TL;DR

All in all I made good progress today and I'm satisfied with how things turned out.

That said, I will likely dive right back in after having submitted this post because I'm not tired yet. But I might not give another update until tomorrow.

Bye for now!

One more thing!

I never resolved this info- remember when I said that I was going to change the way you get the Plasma Gun?

Yea I wasn't sure whether I'd even leave it where it was but I did. However, getting to it is more interesting now.

It used to just be this unhinted hidden door with a square room behind:

e1m5f5.png

Boo D:

Now it opens "by itself" as kind of an ambush situation (seen here after the unsuccessful ambush):

e1m5f6.png

I guess this makes more sense when you look at it yourself xD

You can see it but you also know that there's some action required to get to it. Also, you see there's stairs to the right and an outcrop to the left.. possibly making you wonder whether there's access to it from one of those two directions (and there is).

I think it turned out nicely but you'll have to see for yourself when it's published x3

But now, seriously, good night!

I'm on a roll!

It's not very comfy.

No but seriously, I'm back at it again.. or still.. or whatever. I figured I'd give a little preview of the part of the labyrinth I reduced in complexity.

Here you go:

e1m5g1.png

Adjusted for the short-tempered Doom Marine

I think I removed about 40% of the route leading to the area where you get the BFG (that's really all you get there). I believe it's a lot less mean now in how it tries to get you lost.. but it's making up for it in.. well.. you'll see <3

Now back to making the walls look presentable.

Last update for today!

Here's an overview of the entire labyrinth area (with all the reductions I applied):

e1m5g2.png

It's not as bad as it seems xD

At first glance, area-wise it might look like I am not even half done with it, but:

• Landing / Loading Bay 1 (on the right) will end up mostly being copied over from Bay 2 (on the left)
  • The actual structures that I aligned already are bigger than what's not aligned yet (lots of empty space)
  • I can use what I already finished to spice up "bland" bits in the old part of the level
  • The large room at the top is an outdoor area that's low detail by design and will likely stay that way

So really it's mainly the paths in the remaining area that will need some brushing up. That's not so bad.

Also, lo and behold, this labyrinth area is basically over half of the whole WAD, detail-wise..

..and the starting area I already "fixed" (with the broken GSTONE1 walls and all) is part of the other half.

So.. maaaybe this one will actually go moderately quickly.

Then again, my initial projection was that it's "90% done" and I've already spent a week on it.. xD

Either way, I'm heading to bed now- need to catch up on some sleep~

Goodnight :)

Oh hey I didn't see you there.

Sorry.

Okay so today I actually did social stuff with real people which left me with only about 2 hours to work on the level. Here's what that amounted to:

e1m5g3.png

"All done(ish)!"

Yeah.. I got all of that stuff pretty much "neat", now. Added a bit of detail in some places while I was at it.. and cleaned up a (tiny) room where you find the chainsaw. If you find it.

Also, to be honest: There's still a bit to do in the "all done" area. Namely the upper right corner of it. But I was too lazy to draw anything other than a rectangle xD

And here's an in-editor view of the "alignment and detail" efforts, because map screen overviews alone are boring ^^;

e1m5g4.png

Finally discovered the "things filter" option and hid all the monsters xD

It's really just small things I'm doing to those hallways to make them less plain.. but even little things take their time if you want to do them right xD 

More updates tomorrow, probably.

Goodnight!

Edited by Zylinderkatze

Tomorrow, probably.

Howdy. I mean.. good day to you, how are you doing?

More progress. More finetuning. Also a whole lot of excessive reworking of a secret area.

Here's the overview:

e1m5h1.png

There's not really dragons there. Sorry.

So the area on the left is completely done now, with a few reworks, "functional testing" (making sure all the triggers and doors and lifts work right, which some of them didn't).

Dragons: This is where a nice "little" hidden passage is leading up to an elevated spot from which to access the Blue Armor. Totally optional but I still wanted it to look nicer than it did before. Which resulted in stuff like this:

e1m5h2.png

Is dark.

e1m5h3.png

So many Ex-Imps.

It turned out quite nice. There's a few things leading up to it that are also kind of.. cute.. but I don't want to flood this thread with even more images per post. I still need to leave some for later posts ^^; Oh.. and the enemy placement isn't snappy enough yet, in that dark section.. it's not.. "ambushy" enough.. but I'll leave that until the final playtesting of the level.

Also: Notice that arrow with no text on it, in the first picture? That's the path on which I am working my way into the last section of the labyrinth.

But not now. Because I'm off to bed- have a lovely day!

Edited by Zylinderkatze

Just a quick one before bed

I seem to be mentioning my bed in almost every post.

It's not that great.

I mean.. here's the overview!

e1m5i.png

I always end up adding stuff at a whim. Like that section above the plus-shaped room. Tsk.

Almost all done. I got held up (by myself), adding another one of those "tying the place together" rooms (see arrow, compare to previous overview) but I guess it was necessary xD

Imma power through this tomorrow and then some more on Sunday (Saturday is kind of already blocked by real life stuff) so.. yeah!

Onward and upward.

Edited by Zylinderkatze

To be (done) or not to be (done)

I'm finally at the point where it's easier to point out the 2 areas that aren't fully done yet. Everything else in the "labyrinth" looks good to me now. I realize that this kind of looks like I just marked exactly the negative space of what I had marked as "done" in the previous post xD But I actually did work on this. And sunk about 5 hours into it, at that.

e1m5j1.png

"That's a relief."

And here's a screenshot of one of the recently "detailed" hallways. I might have to go back and adjust the light levels a bit.. it's still a little "uniform" for my taste. But it works in game. Also, I am tempted to add a few ceiling lamps here and there.. but then I might get carried away and/or run into Vanilla limits. 

I'll look into that later.

e1m5j2.png

I'm calling this piece "stay healthy".

Incidentially, this is the long hallway at the bottom of the upper "not done yet" rectangle. As in: This part actually is done but the room above it isn't. But it will be. Soon. But not now. 

You know where I'm headed! ^^

Take care people c:

Short but sad.

No, I'm not short, this update is. 

I'm also not sad, the progress is.

But I wasn't planning to work on the level at all today- so it's more of a bonus?

I dunno xD

Anyways- I looked at the large "undone" room at the very top (north? positive Y axis?) of the level and played around a bit.

I ended up with some sort of.. "implied door seal" of sorts but I am rather dissatisfied with how it turned out so it won't make it into the level. 

However, the idea will likely stick with me and might come back up later~

Take a look :) 

e1m5k1.png

Johnny Silverslab

It's supposed to look like it can be kind of swung down on hinges, to seal the rectangular door-wall-thing behind it.. but It's not very convincing to me. 

Here's another angle on my texture escapades:

e1m5k2.png

Maybe some more detailing? That might just be "turd polishing" though.

It was just some playing around.. but I thought I'd share. It might be interesting to see what kind of ideas I end up discarding because I usually don't show those xD

The other side of that door (with the mix of METAL and METAL1) turned out really neat though.. and I'm satisfied with it.

So that's something xD

Bye for now!

So close~

Hello! :3

Guess if I am done!

I'll make it easier: The answer is no.

But I'm a lot closer. I even have some "before" and "after" for you this time.

So exciting! xD

Here's the overview:

e1m5l1.png

This time with helpful context info!

So I think I am now done with the area where you get the BFG. Seen here in green.

Only the passage leading to the outside area still needs some love.. and then the (unrelated) storage area off to the right. Everything else in this area is done and passed several test runs.. meaning there's still one texture off somewhere and I won't find it until after this ships xD

Here's the outside area with the BFG, before and after some gentle changes

Before:

e1m5l2.png

Very minimal.

Now:

e1m5l3.png

Still very minimal!

And here is the inside / unlocking room, also before and after some slightly less gentle changes

Before:

e1m5l4.png

So retro.

Now:

e1m5l5.png

Oh my.

Yes, the light on the left behind the blue skulls was misaligned / the wrong length. Also the secret door cut through one of the monitors in that computer wall, in the old version. What was I thinking? O_o

In the "new" version I guess it's apparent that I couldn't really get my mind off of the idea of a locking, blocking door fortification. Only now it's looking like it's sliding along the floor instead of tilting down from the ceiling.

I kind of like it now and I'll probably leave it like this. Though looking at it now I am thinking it might also look cool as a setpiece that's hanging from the ceiling.. but I'll leave that for some other time where it might make more sense in a level ^^;

For now, this is all the progress I can show.

Also, I unexpectedly had to work for my actual job for a few hours which threw me off my plans to work on this more. 

But all things considered I am happy with how it turned out so far :)

Goodnight!

Edited by Zylinderkatze

9 hours ago, Zylinderkatze said:

What was I thinking? O_o

Actually thinking back to it now I believe I did notice this back then and thought it was "funny" that a secret door would have one edge cut through the middle of a monitor.. because it drove home the idea of how the computer wall is just a facade.

That checks out, too.. because I was pedantic enough back then already to go back and fix stuff that was only a pixel or two off, if I noticed it xD

You can check it out for yourself soon.

I am half-seriously considering putting something similar in the new version xD