Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zylinderkatze

1995 called. They want their Doom levels back.

2 hours ago, wrkq said:

Did you consider a rug?

I was looking at a few.. how about this one?

Lebowski1.jpg

I suppose this is as good a reason as any to add custom flats xD

1 hour ago, ketmar said:

most of the things Big Corporations do doesn't make any sense. and i wouldn't expect any sanity from hell levels. so creating "unsensical and unrealistic levels" suddenly have alot of sense and realism...

I agree- I know I'll find a way that makes me happy with the layout (and, hopefully in turn also those who play the map). 

Actually, though, I realized that in some parts of this map it make too much sense, considering how close you are to the "source" of all those monsters.. this map should probably be at least "half hell" and I might have to add some detail in that regard.

Sadly, when I originally made the map (those "twenty-X years" ago), I didn't really think about making it look like a place of origin, like "this is where it started" or anything. I may add some detail to that effect, to the last area (in the lower left of the map). Make it look more like a battleground. More destroyed and.. filthy.

Or maybe I'll just leave it like it is because people might not really be looking for narrative ^^;;

51 minutes ago, Zylinderkatze said:

I was looking at a few.. how about this one?

Lebowski1.jpg

I suppose this is as good a reason as any to add custom flats xD

I mean, it's like... just my opinion, ZK.
But this is giving good vibes. Room-tying vibes.

Hey you!

Yes you. Remember that "mean room" I meantioned in that one post from yesterday?

Here's a look at it (in it's current "in progress" state) for you to.. enjoy?

e1m8g1.png

Too many barrels. More texture aligning to do (etc..) 

Also, not sure if I'll keep that "rusty metal" floor (CEIL5_2) or the ceiling (CEIL5_1) because I them a lot alerady and it's not the best match for this storage area.. I'll try a few things (maybe FLOOR4_8 or FLOOR5_1 for the floor, for starters).. just you wait and see!

Also also, that hinted "conveyor belt" (using STEP2) doesn't look like it usually does in my maps- I just wanted to try if it'd fit at all. 

This is how I work in this "cautious renewal" state I'm in. Iterate, iterate.

You know what, here's the old timey version, for reference:

e1m8g1x.png

Hahaha.. oh my.

Check out how I forgot to adjust the light level of the container sector xD

Simpler times, man. Simpler times.

Anyways- I'm off for tonight. Bye!

Edited by Zylinderkatze

8 hours ago, wrkq said:

I mean, it's like... just my opinion, ZK.
But this is giving good vibes. Room-tying vibes.

Would you look at that. I think you're right.

rug.png

That was a quick shot but I always wanted to see how easy it'd be to add flats to vanilla~

But now I really need to go to bed ^^;

8 hours ago, wrkq said:

Nice edge effect. Makes it look thick and cozy. :)

It looks even better in editor (or a higher resolution engine port) but since I am focusing on vanilla, this is the screenshot you'll get xD

Also, these flats will not stay in the game. Of course. That would be silly.

8 hours ago, Zylinderkatze said:

That was a quick shot but I always wanted to see how easy it'd be to add flats to vanilla~

Furthermore, this statement of mine isn't quite correct.. it was a moderately sized effort of slightly adjusting the skew and perspective of the original graphic.. then getting my graphic program of choice to accept loading PLAYPAL, in order for me to check out how the image would look with the DOOM palette.. then comparing whether to go "resize > reduce palette" or "reduce palette > resize" (the former won out, kind of predictably, but only by a slim margin).. then figuring out how to "properly prop" a supplemental WAD file with custom flat graphics and the correct markers ("an end without a start") so that vanilla Doom would accept them, "uncrashingly".

All of that while it was already past my bedtime.

I think it was worth it though xD

*goes to grab another coffee*

8 hours ago, wrkq said:

Sorry.. Glad you feel it was worth it. ^^;

It was. Also, no reason to be sorry. It was my choice. Not much I wouldn't do for a good practical gag. Especially when I get to learn something in the process ^^

Also also, here's the HD version:

rug-hd.png

It does give the place some warmth and feeling of comfort, for sure xD

Okay but now back to the actual mapping ^^;

On 10/12/2020 at 3:54 PM, Zylinderkatze said:

because people might not really be looking for narrative

i usually do. not that it matters much if it is missing, but little "environmental storytelling" is always fun.

great rug, btw. i hope nobody will die on it, it would be... sad to make it dirty.

5 hours ago, ketmar said:

"environmental storytelling" is always fun

Yes I agree ^^ and seeing how I am done with a good 80 - 90% of the "remodeling" of E1M8 by now, I will very likely invest the last 10-ish days in making the final fighting area a little more impressive than it was in 199X.

Basically, I only have some texture aligning in a few tunnels and staircases left before that.

Speaking of aligning..

If you saw this "sign"- would you assume it directs you towards the red key.. or that the left door requires a red key?

e1m8g2.png

What? Where?

I am somehow thinking (hoping) that the makeshift arrow serves as a "this way for red key" pointer but I am unsure.

Also, before (in the old version) there was no info of that nature at all.. you'd just try both doors and find the red key at the end of one of them.. I want to make it more accessible :)

7 hours ago, Zylinderkatze said:

If you saw this "sign"- would you assume it directs you towards the red key.. or that the left door requires a red key?

if i've never seen such arrows anywhere else, i will assume that it is for dumb UAC personel, so they will be able to find a door. ;-) but if i'll find a key there, i will think: "oh, so that was for dumb ketmar, so he could find a key!" this is when it really depends of consistent "use style", i think. but in any case i will go there to see it myself.

12 hours ago, ketmar said:

if i've never seen such arrows anywhere else, i will assume that it is for dumb UAC personel, so they will be able to find a door. ;-) but if i'll find a key there, i will think: "oh, so that was for dumb ketmar, so he could find a key!" this is when it really depends of consistent "use style", i think. but in any case i will go there to see it myself.

Yeah.. I'm not 100% convinced of this way to point in a direction with a graphic that is commonly used to show that something requires a certain key. Alternatively I was thinking about having a red band run along the wall and past the door (basically through the wall, next to the door on the left).. so that you can see there's something red-related behind that door..

But then again that's a visual language I haven't used in this level prior to this place and that means the message might get lost ^^

I'll just leave it like this for now and then see if I come up with something more clear. 

Unlike the blue key, the red key is a necessity to finish the level so I want to make sure you won't have to search for too long :)

Update time!

Today I mostly took "mood screenshots" of E1M1 - E1M7. The day is still young.. but not.. too young? I dunno. it's 8:30pm.

So I might still work on E1M8 some more.. but right now I need a small break xD

I figured I might as well show an updated overview for while I'm away, even though there's not that much change:

e1m8h0.png

No, those are not invasion plans. Although.. I guess kinda they are ^^;

So the top left (at least the very top left of the top left, starting with the room the arrow points into) is a bonus area behind a blue door. But since I put as much effort into bouns areas as I do into normal ones, it's still going to take a bit to make it pretty- and fun. Pretty fun?

The other bit (at the top, in the middle) is "a buncha stairs" that need their COMPSPAN textures straightened out, mainly. Plus some sensible detailing. That's the area that the "red key sign" points to, basically. Probably doable in an evening.

The very tiny section next to it is where you then pick up said key.. and it's not at all impressive or fun or anything like that, yet. I'm working on that (last thing I did yesterday) but the line actions I tried out aren't doing what I wanted them to so I need to seperate a few sectors to prevent them from being each other's "next highest" or "next lowest" reference.

The green blob is done. Like it already was, last time I posted an overview. Basically, that "mean room" at the very top is now among the "done" things, too.

And.. yeah. The final arena in the lower left is still waiting, too. I did a few things there already for cleanup, when I added a connection to the area you arrive in.. but that's about it. There's still a good 3 days of work left to do in there.

Which means less time to "waste" on the other parts xD

Well I still have 2 weeks left in this month. So.. it'll be a nice screeching, grinding fit. With sparks flying.

Did he not do anything this weekend or..

Oh but I did! Look!

e1m8h1.png

Lazy to recycle the previous overview? I prefer to call it resourceful.

And her's what the before & updated stairway stuff looks like now:

e1m8h2d.png > e1m8h1d.png

Not so much winding as zig-zagging, I suppose.

e1m8h2c.png > e1m8h1c.png

I see the light at the end of the.. staircase?

e1m8h2b.png > e1m8h1b.png

Oh finally! A switch!

e1m8h2a.png > e1m8h1a.png

..so now what?

The last room (last pic) isn't done yet but this is where I am stopping for now.

It's looking much better than it did (I think ^^) Even if it might not look quite as awesome as it could.

Edited by Zylinderkatze

First thought at my own screenshots~

47 minutes ago, Zylinderkatze said:

e1m8h1d.png

"This could do with a few more light level gradient steps."

I'll leave that for tomorrow ^^;

Edited by Zylinderkatze

2 hours ago, Zylinderkatze said:

And her's what the before & updated stairway stuff looks like now:

e1m8h2d.png > e1m8h1d.png

Had to do a double take for that second screenshot, at first sight it looked like a photo of a real location!

19 hours ago, Andromeda said:

Had to do a double take for that second screenshot, at first sight it looked like a photo of a real location!

That's really kind of you to say :)

I'll take the compliment.

Since it worked so well yesterday..

..here's a look at the "before and current" of my efforts to work my way into the "detailing & aligning" area in the top left of the overview.

e1m8j1b.png > e1m8j1a.png

Raise the roof! I mean.. uhm.. I made the anteroom a little higher to be able to enclose the tech columns (not today but I wanted to include it)

e1m8j2b.png > e1m8j2a.png

As before, I am not really overdoing it with the details / changes. I'm just making it look.. better, in my opinion :)

e1m8j3b.png > e1m8j3a.png

Oh hey.. now it's actually a little more logical why this doorway is lit up. There are lamps!

I am stopping for today, even though I am nowhere near done with the area.. but this was already kind of "exhausting", for my creativity xD

More tomorrow (or perhaps later, if I feel like it ^^)

Bye!

What's that, Lassie? Timmy fell into the well?

Oh. You mean the map is almost done. Okay. Those do sound very similar in dog.

e1m8k0.png

yes.

So I am very certain that I will find a bunch of little "improvable details" when I testplay the map a little more in-depth once it's done. I spent 100% of my time today "in editor".. usually it's something like 70:30 (editor : game) so there's a lot that might not act the way I want xD 

But from what I saw, everything is looking green. Hence the green border. Except the final arena in the lower left, of course. Hence the no border.

What happened in the upper left? A bunch of things. This is one of those things:

e1m8k1a.png > e1m8k1b.png

Also a lot that can't be shown from in-editor screenshots, like light effects ^^;

And yes, the way that the cut-out squares of the SUPPORT3 texture are touching against the ceiling of the surrounding rim is intentional. I think it looks cooler than it does with the usual spacing I'd apply. But who knows what'll happen when the next.. refinement pass comes through :) 

I'm done for today, though. That's all I wanted to get done today.

Take care!

it is really amazing how small detail changes the feel of the map. without "after" image, "before" looks... okeish. like, it works. and my, how bland it looks after seeing the same place on "after" picture!

9 hours ago, ketmar said:

it is really amazing how small detail changes the feel of the map. without "after" image, "before" looks... okeish. like, it works. and my, how bland it looks after seeing the same place on "after" picture!

Thank you! Yes- I think so, too. This area was a good example of the way I'm trying to add detail to the maps while also trying to maintain the general mood and/or layout of an area.

The "before" is clearly more rough / raw, more like a scribble to pin down size, color and lighting. Maybe like an artist would, to jot down an idea (not saying that I'm an artist xD).

The version I ended up with last night is certainly more refined and feels more like.. an actual place? I'm satisfied with it.

There's certainly still more that it could be. But it's already much more than it was.

I need to make sure my use of PLAT1 for steps and edges doesn't go overboard, though xD

"Take a good look at this before it's gone"

Here's a view of the outside area (and arena of the last fight).. only slightly adjusted so far (the STONE1 on the far wall, for example, as well as the floor).

e1m8l1.png

(the wall height differences in the middle of the screen are just a test)

All of this can still change and much of it likely will. This area isn't big enough and it doesn't have enough cover. Also, it has a few choke points / bottlenecks that are no fun.. and also kind of inescapable in one case.

With all the buildup of the level, and the looming threat, this resolution.. is kind of anticlimactic.

I can make it better!

Edited by Zylinderkatze

Oh oops.

It's another one of those "don't stand in this particular spot and look in that particular direction while the door is open"-situations ^^;;

e1m8l2.png

We can fix this. We have the technology.

7 minutes ago, Zylinderkatze said:

We can fix this. We have the technology.

This time it's not a Drawsegs problem..

e1m8l2b.png

..but actually a Visplane one!

e1m8l2c.png

Time for a view-blocking pillar and/or wall.

To the wallmobile!

Dude, I know I said that before.

But I just absoBLEEPinglutely love your style of "build blog" narration and humor. :)

4 hours ago, wrkq said:

Dude, I know I said that before.

But I just absoBLEEPinglutely love your style of "build blog" narration and humor. :)

same here. and we have new maps to play as a bonus. or new texts to read as a bonus. or... eh, it's so hard to choose...

22 hours ago, wrkq said:

narration and humor

You forgot to put "humor" in quotes. We need to maintain the balance- you don't know what the consequences might be to unironically refer to my "humor" as humor O_o;

But seriously- thanks :3

17 hours ago, ketmar said:

same here.

You guys are too.. nuys. I appreciate it! c:

"Also also"

Here's some more progress on the parts of the arena that might be staying similar to their old version:

e1m8m1.png

It still feels a bit too.. messy. I think the SHAWN2 will have to go. 

Compare it to the previous view, though, and I think it's showing that it's on the right track :)