Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zylinderkatze

1995 called. They want their Doom levels back.

Man, ZK has become lazy. He never updates this anymore.

Sorry. I guess you're right..

But! I have made some changes and updates to  what will become URE2020+ ..or URE2020.1? or.. I dunno.

I like the "+" idea because I'll end up having to make more and more changes and eventually it'll be called URE2020+++++++++++++ ^^;

Most of it so far is "flow" stuff, but also one unreachable secret (because it's an "actual secret"-adjacent, unreachable sector due to UDB's default "apply all neighboring sector's properties to a new sector" setting*) and some better hinting.. as well as a change to which keys will be absolutely necessary in E1M3 (and which ones will be, in turn optional). Most of these ideas and improvements are thanks to the very helpful.. uhm.. help from @wrkq! An official thanks for that, while I'm at it c:

Also to @Lippeth, who gave me some feedback as well, while he played the maps to seep up their mood for the AWESOME MUSIC HE IS WORKING ON! ALL CAPS!

While you wait for his music, I highly recommend playing the WAD with @tam's music. Which deserves just as many caps but my "shift-finger" is tired now.

Here's one of the things that- as I believe- improved: This door (which was much too well-hidden, before)

e1m3-fix.png

Still rather nicely blended in but a lot less misera~ ..missable now.

More updates as they come in. But the actual whole thing ("URE2020+" ^^) is still some ways away.

___

* I enabled the "edit sector properties after drawing sector" now.. that way I should be less prone to miss such errors from now on

Can't say I'm not still learning!

As brought on by wrkq, I finally accept that my own visual perception and ability to remember what I've done isn't enough.

There's tools available, so I might as well use them ^^;;

secret.png

"Wait you mean you weren't using it already?"

Yeah ^^;

Oh come on, you're making me blush tomato red here... :p

Glad you're getting some concrete positives out of my stream-of-unconsciousness meandering commentary. :)

11 minutes ago, Zylinderkatze said:

I like the "+" idea because I'll end up having to make more and more changes and eventually it'll be called URE2020+++++++++++++ ^^;

According to the curse of any customer-facing projects, "URE2020-v7-2021.15.37-FINAL5-withThursdayFeedback-REALLYFINAL-2"

*Shudders*

Wow.. E1M8 was kind of littered with unreachable secrets.

I am truly sorry for everyone who was trying for "100% everything" in that one and also some others.. If nothing else than at least this merits a reissue of URE2020.

I'll go sit in the shame corner for a while now ^^;;

And now he's posting too much! >_<

Hi!

So here's a look at a potential "fix" for a very hard to find secret in E1M2:

Map:

E1M2-wip.png

So many arrows O_o; (old stuff in white, new additions for a possible solution in green)

"3D":

E1-M2-wip2.png

Rectangular!

Steps to get (and use) the red key for profit:

1. find the switch (at the bottom of the Map image, accessible only from another secret area that you can only find through.. another secret.. yeah)
  2. the switch would raise the stairs (and another line would also reveal a Baron and a Plasma Gun, in the rectable above the stairs in that screenshot)
  3. once (back) in the main area (with the raised stairs) you would use them to jump onto the triangular sector
  4. this would lower the small hidden lift to get on top of that raised area (with Baron and Plasma Gun)

At that point you would have the gun but then (while up there) you'd see the red door without having the key. You would see the key on the other side of the map and maybe try to get to it somehow.. eventually find it.. and then use the stairs again to lower the lift again to get back up there again.. etc.

Basically, you'd be running in circles.

However! Here's the "problem":

If you never find the switch that raises the stairs.. you only see the red key in the main area. You could even get to it.. but once you had it, there would be no way to get to where you can use it.

There's no way to really fix that (in my mind) without changing a bunch of stuff in this area. Like.. make it more obvious that there's a switch to raise stairs.. or that there even are stairs that need to be raised (although wrkq had some good ideas for that.. which, however, would also require some restructuring).. so you'd feel like you're missing something. Without any real clue in the map. Which kind of goes against good level design.

And here's my current (crude) "solution":

When you pick up the key, I added a line action that lowers the triangular sector (with the lift trigger for the hidden lift).. that way you can finally step onto it easily.. and get up to the platform just as easily.

Caveat (but also potential benefit?):

By getting up to that area this way (without raising the stairs), you never raise the Baron's Pit, thereby making him a rather rude surprise once you get onto the "rim" of the marble area around the pit.

There is (and always has been) a switch in that pit to raise it manually if you should fall in.. but if you do fall in you have a whole different problem ^^. So the only real "benefit" of finding the switch for the stairs is.. that the Baron is easier to kill and potentially even infights with other monsters.. and you can thereby get to the Plasma Gun a little more easily.

At the same time it makes the Plasma Gun a whole lot less tricky to get to (because you don't need to go through the secret area to find that switch).

Summary of sorts:

I am not really sure how I feel about this solution.

In a way I would prefer if the Plasma Gun stays "gated" through the switch.

Especially because once you get up there and also have the Red Key, you can also gain access to the BFG. That's basically what the Red Key is needed for.

On the other hand.. having to find that switch is kind of too mean. Even for me.

Especially with how you can see the Red Key, without being able to use it (in the old version).

I dunno.

Any ideas? ^^;

So to be honest, I still kind of don't like the "stairs next to baron pit don't let you get on top of it, you're supposed to use them to jump forward onto the triangle platform" part.

It's just a bit unintuitive and confusing again - might make people think they need to do something else to unlock a lift on top of the stairs.

I really think it'd make much more sense to have stairs lead onto top of the baron pit.

But if it is a quick way into visplane hell, as you mentioned, well, gotta live without that. :(

1 hour ago, Zylinderkatze said:
  1. find the switch (at the bottom of the Map image, accessible only from another secret area that you can only find through.. another secret.. yeah)

So personally speaking, I found that first secret area easily/intuitively.

I even seen the bait/hint on the road to the super-secret area but failed to get there on first two tries and assumed it should be reached from somewhere else.

Also you forgot to mention that before reaching this "first secret" you need to follow a sequence of multiple secrets in other places to progressively unlock the way.

<3 this kind of sequencing, no sarc. :)

In that first secret area you have that decorative floor hatch thingy which does nothing currently.

Maybe have that raise into a red-keyed switch (thanks to walkover line or some nearby other switch), and then have that red switch in turn bring up a bridge towards the secret-secret?

Could also set it up so approaching the red key to reveals the baron and plasma (but keep it unreachable) to make this approach a bit harder.

Directly or as the new action on the triangle platform.

Player flows would be roughly like:

a) Find first secret, spot the harder road to second secret, use it, go to second secret, release the baron and raise the stairs, use baron to clear the area and get plasma earlier. When you'll come back to hatch with red key, you'll see the bridge raise and be like "huh... I got there earlier without help? Woah, go me!".

(Maybe the red switch could also open some small alcove with a medium grade goodie so they won't feel it was pointless to come back.)

b) Find first secret, miss the road to second secret, notice red key switch. Come back with red key, raise the bridge to second secret, raise the stairs from there.

You won't even know that'd also release the baron, as the platform is already up. Not frustrating because of other fun stuff the second secret provides.

c) Just find red key. Preferably get attacked by baron at this time (something happened!). Also, bait in form of the plasma gun gets in view.

Now what happens if the player did not even find the first secret(tm) yet though? That's still the hard question...

Maybe the switch could be relocated a little and made more visible from below somehow (blinking light or such)?

Maybe after you pick up the red key the little decorative* area with a tree between the switch balcony and the baron pit could alter itself somehow to call attention to itself and point eyes towards the switch?

(* or is that a VPO-protective area? Then probably we don't want the player in there... but then again if there's no VPO from the switch area this should also be safe?)

Sorry @wrkq I didn't mean to drag you from the direct messages back into this forum post~ I just posted this here as well to maybe get some more angles ^^;

34 minutes ago, wrkq said:

I really think it'd make much more sense to have stairs lead onto top of the baron pit.

I do get it. it's.. unintuitive. I think the only reason I kept the "stairs thing" until now is because that's how I had it in the 199X version of the map.. so I never really questioned it xD

I am starting to question it now. Not too much longer and I might be convinced to change it ^^;

Also, I really like how much you're thinking about possible approaches. That's the kind of brainstorming we need!

I guess I just want to find the perfect solution that makes it more intuitive, keeps backtracking to a minimum and is more fun without making it too easy. Simple! xD

1 minute ago, Zylinderkatze said:

Simple

Just put some mancubus turrets in there! That's a dead simple solution!

"URE2020+"

Before I leave Doomworld for the day, here's the current "state of updated hinting" for access to the secret map, from E1M3, which I've been working on after some (obviously fruitful) exchange with wrkq:

You see the Red door..

e1m3-fix2a.png

..and you want to paint it.. blue?

You open the door(s)..

e1m3-fix2b.png

..get on the floor(s)..

As you come closer.. what's that peeking around the corner?

e1m3-fix2c.png

Yellow? What does it mean? Silly. This isn't a Yellow door!

And as you check what that yellow is for, you see this:

e1m3-fix2d.png

..or some other appropriate switch texture like it (WIP).

You can already press it while still standing on the "safe" ledge.. so.. less time spent on the "killing floor" ^^

Still needs to fix some texture aligning and such (the "doortrak" might change, too) but it's a little more obvious / teasing.. yet still missable enough, if you don't pay attention.

Now it should be a bit easier to find the secret switch to get to the secret level! 

Goodnight!

9 minutes ago, Zylinderkatze said:

You see the Red door..

I just saw that the texture Y-alignment is 1 pixel off when the door is closed.. silly difference between SUPPORT3 and WOOD5 / METAL. But I guess I did say that texture aligning is still in progress ^^;

Also, by now it feels like cheating to still call it URE2020.

i played first maps with Zan from Hedon, and it was... interesting expirience.

also, i found missing bottom texture at +map e1m2 "+warpto -3962 432 58"

picture.

2 hours ago, ketmar said:

interesting

Why does this make me feel nervous xD

2 hours ago, ketmar said:

The picture sends me to a page with an NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID Error so I can't see the position and angel you too ka picture of.. but do you mean this part of the map? (it matches the warp coordinates)

e1m2-coopds.png

More or less where the crosshair is?

Which port did you use that supports the "warpto" in that notation (with the quotes)? Or is that common? I can't seem to get it to work.. should I get k8vavoom? xD

36 minutes ago, Zylinderkatze said:

(it matches the warp coordinates)

Wait.. you mean this, right?

e1m2-coords2.png

Only visible (or.. not visible) when the fake wall is lowered.

I missed that.. it's fixed now! Thanks for the pointer (but let me know if there's another one that I'm still missing.. in case this wasn't it) ^^;

While I'm at it~

I'm also fixing this slime.. or, I guess lava trail:

e1m2-fix2.png

Pushing some vertices around until it's less.. slimy xD

And with that, I am about to leave E1M2 behind for now.

Going to round up some other bugs in other maps but like I said before, I am also trying not to get carried away by the desire to add detail ^^;

..which isn't easy for me xD

This also means that I will lay my thought to rest for the moment, about how to potentially improve the Red Key situation in E1M2. I tested the way it is now (where picking up the key lowers the sector that allows to trigger the lift.. but without raising the pit). I am still contemplating approaches for more cohersion and hinting.. and I actuall did implement some bits of what "my outer voice of reason", @wrkq said!

Look!

e1m2-fix3.png

Up there is where the button lies that raises the stairs ^^

And that whole thing is just one sector (and one line split into threem for the metal running up the side of the mountain). But the stairs still don't go all the way up xD

But now there's a candle on the last step that "points" towards the triangular platform (which also has candles on each corner).

It might still change again, I'm still letting the ideas seep in..

But the area is already quite Drawsegs-y..

E1-M2-wip3.png

(that 256/256 up there is also the edge of the reachable floor)

..so I'm dreading changing too much more.

Also, does someone know what the black square (in the lower left) is? Where it doesn't seem to be able to calculate and Drawsegs info? Is that related to how that's where I added the sector from the previous screenshot? I tried closing and reopening the map but that idn't change anything.

So I'm not even sure of the calculation is as correct as I am hoping it is ^^;

So.. yeah. Back to the secret switch of E1M3

Wait.. you mean this, right?

yeah, that's it! sorry for broken pic hosting.

2 hours ago, Zylinderkatze said:

Which port did you use that supports the "warpto" in that notation (with the quotes)? Or is that common? I can't seem to get it to work.. should I get k8vavoom? xD

this is "warp" in GZDoom, afair. in k8vavoom it is "warpto", and "mypos" prints ready-to-paste CLI line.

2 hours ago, Zylinderkatze said:

Why does this make me feel nervous xD

Zan is cool! ;-) But it's prolly "not Doom" anymore -- she's 64 units tall, and with radius 12. also, all her weapons shooting projectiles. maybe this is Not The Right Way To Play, but it's fun. i got Official Blessing to upload Zan mod, so you'll be able to try it yourself if you want to with the next k8vavoom build.

58 minutes ago, ketmar said:

ready-to-paste CLI line

k8vavoom, man.. what can't it do?

59 minutes ago, ketmar said:

sorry for broken pic hosting

It's perfectly fine- the coordinates pushed me to the correct spot in game so it's all good :)

1 hour ago, ketmar said:

Zan is cool!

I checked out the Hedon "TC to standalone GZDoom game" project and the product page on steam.. and saw the Zan character in action ^^ Or did you mean Zan the developer? xD In that case, giving her measurements -in general.. but especially in Doom dimensions -would be a bit odd, though xD

1 hour ago, ketmar said:

try it yourself

Awesome idea- and an interesting addition for some weapon / character diversity :) 

Might be tempting to actually build levels that cater to the character more, too.

I checked out the Hedon "TC to standalone GZDoom game" project and the product page on steam.. and saw the Zan character in action ^^ Or did you mean Zan the developer?

heh... adding the developer as an easter egg would be fine. ;-) but yeah, i mean the protagonist of Hedon. i really wanted to see how well will she do in Doom universe... and she's doing great! ;-) especially with headshots (yep, k8vavoom has built-in headshots mode, because i sux at Doom).

Might be tempting to actually build levels that cater to the character more, too.

yeah, would be great too. i don't even think that the maps will need alot of balance changes. prolly the most important thing is that Zan has a "quick kick", which can usually one-shot demons (so it's kinda like "chainsaw from the start", with slightly better mobility; yet the kick pulls Zan forward a little too). also, i will prolly remove some weapons from the basic set, to make her less overpowered.

(she actually has three kind of kicks: normal, crouch-run, and jump-kick, the third is most powerful, and sometimes can kill Baron in two kicks; but you need some initial speed to perform it).

also, the game itself is really great too. try the free version, you may like it! ;-)

So I'm really enjoying these maps, and making music for them! The maps are right up my alley with cryptic navigation puzzles, old school design and a cool story of how they came to exist.

I'm three songs into the project, but if you'd like to get an idea of how it's going, here are the first two completed songs.

URE2020MIDI.zip

9 hours ago, Lippeth said:

here are the first two completed songs

I told you guys it was stuff to look forward to. Well.. now you can listen forward to it, too!

I highly recommend it ^^

16 hours ago, Zylinderkatze said:

the stairs still don't go all the way up

In retrospect, this sounds like an insult to someone's mental capacity.

He's a nice guy but.. the stairs don't go all the way up.

One more update.. without pictures D:

I believe that I'm "this close" to bundling up an updated, bugfixed version of "URE2020", ready for intensive scrutiny.

Any recommendation on how I can get expose more potential testers to it and underline my wish for it to get playtested?

Probably follow this guide, for starters.. 

..and probably in a new thread, because this one has gotten a bit long?

..or should I just update this thread and put something in the first post to make it more obvious that I want people to play it?

Maybe something like.. image.png.577d7018148c16c3c8c788be8c086bd8.png?

Should I also post something in Doom-related Discords (provided they have a "post your wad" section) or should I just rely on this forum? How do you guys do it? I kind of don't want to annoy people with excessive posting / spreading ^^;

Thank you for listening!

Any recommendation on how I can get expose more potential testers to it and underline my wish for it to get playtested?

maybe try to post it in this thread too.

and yes, i think that it will be better to create a new thread, like "URE2020 RC -- Vanilla Ultimate Doom Episode -- Testers needed", or something.

I've just recently began playtesting WADs, and I'd be more than happy to do so for URE2020.

Another good way would be to contact the folks on this pinned thread: 

And the Wadazine's Discord server might be a good place to share it as well: https://discord.gg/Q2RKn4J

Well, these were the most complicated (and sometimes confusing and counter-intuitive) maps I've played in a while. I liked the tight ammo balance, it's rare to see Doom 1 maps that actually force the player to use the melee weapons. But all is not so rosy - I played version dated Decembcer 30, 2020 in Gzdoom 4.5.0 and I encountered some difficulties:

-E1M1: definitely the weakest map of the pack. It is cramped, confusing and fighting the monsters with the pistol (and later berserk) gets real tedious, real fast. In the end, I skipped it.

-E1M2: obligatory EXIT sign is missing. I think this affects some other maps, too.

-E1M4: the player can become stuck in sector 363 if he presses the switch twice. Also, it's very easy to become stuck in radsuit sector 388.

-E1M6: I got stuck in room around sector 471, switch at linedef 1015 does nothing when pressed from the north. Then I got stuck in the shotgunner trap room, so I skipped the map.

-E1M7: the lift cascade behind the red door is damaging. It's impossible to survive when you need to ride it for the second time, is that intentional?

-I know it has been mentioned already, but you REALLY need to review and fix all the secret sectors in all the maps. In E1M3 for example, sectors 515, 634 and 635 shouldn't be tagged secret. And sector 94 is so narrow that it can't be "found" reliably, the player may not trigger it when he runs over it. Generally, the secret sectors need to be large enough so the player can actually step into them. And conversely, I noticed several secret areas that weren't actually tagged as secret.

@ketmar and @Adamast0r, thanks for the pointers, they will definitely be considered :)

@Caleb13, thanks so much for testing the maps!

4 hours ago, Caleb13 said:

E1M1

I agree on most or even all of your perceptions- it's crammed and fighting with the pistol is no fun. Both of those things were intentional- like.. it's supposed to be crammed because it's an oil rig and space is a luxury.. also, it's supposed to be an undercover mission gone wrong, kinda- so you're ill prepared. But looking back at it, that doesn't really make for a good first impression.

Not sure how I'll be able to change that, though, due to the planned "story" progression throughout the maps. But I absolutley admit that you have a valid point.

E1M2

I kind of don't fully agree that EXIT signs are mandatory- but I'm sure that there's room for debate and there will be people passionately arguing on thew positive just as on the negative ^^; Especially with how E1M2 transitions into E1M3. But I haven't even thought about putting a sign.. again, because I didn't think they were mandatory. Hmm. I'll give it some thought. I admit that not having a sign means that someone who is going for 100% would not really know that they reached the "go back and kill the last monsters"-point.

E1M4

And here I thought that sector (363) wasn't even big enough to stand in..  weird. But you're right. If I press the button that lowers both lifts.. then stand on the lift that works as the "door" so it doesn't go back up while the other one does.. then run back to the switch and press it again, the second lift lowers further and then it's possible to stand on it. Good find. I'll fix it. Sector 388 on the other hand shouldn't be possible. that sector is only 55 units high.. if you stay on the lift, it goes up and then back down. At least in Vanilla / Chocolate.. Which port did you use to try? You mentioned GzDoom? I'll have to try it in GzDoom.

E1M6

LineDef 1015 is another excellent find.. I had to copy around a sector (remove it then past it again) to fix a problem I had with a Line Action 37 in a nearby sector.. and when I pasted the sector again, the line (that was flipped when it became one-sided due to the removal) didn't get flipped back agasin and I missed it. My mistake. Glad you found it!

Those sectors are meant to be an "in one way, out the other" but obviously if the line that would open the door for pogression doesn't trigger, you're stuck in that room. This is now fixed (in the version I am preparing for the "second coming" of URE2020 ^^)

E1M7

This is intentional, albeit mean / cruel. I agree. I mean.. you don't take damage when you stand on the edge of a damaging sector (at least in Vanilla / Chocolate) but a player who doesn't know that will likely curse me. Maybe I should change it.. I think I already made them less damaging compared to the 199X version.. but I'd have to check. Either way you gave me some food for thought. I don't want to be unfairly cruel. 

secret

You are absolutely correct- I did miss a whole bunch of wrongly tagged secret sectors. Mainly due to "sector property bleeding" when I added new sectors next to a sector that was tagged as secret. These have now all been fixed in the version I am preparing for the "actual" test release.

I also assigned the "secret" tag to larger rooms instead of small passages / door sectors. It should now be firing reliably.

Regarding the "some secret areas aren't tagged secret".. that is intentional. Like.. some stuff- even though it feels like a secret area that's not part of the main part of the map- wasn't "important enough" in my eyes to make it mandatory for a "100% secret" run. Or I was actually worried that the player might be able to pick up a weapon, for example, without necessarily having to step on the sector that I might think is necessary to get to it. Like the rocket launcher pickup in E1M5 (maybe the crate? Sector 719). But I agree that my decision process was a bit arbitrary. Do you remember any particular area that you think should've been secret?

Either way, thank you for testing, as well as the very valuable feedback. You helped make the maps better- or at least less buggy! :)

3 minutes ago, Zylinderkatze said:

I'll have to try it in GzDoom.

Weird.. I actually did manage to get stuck in that Radsuit sector in GzDoom. I didn't have that problem in Vanilla. I suppose GzDoom's Doomguy isn't 56 Units tall by default, then? Is there a compatiblity setting with which he'll have the "standard" height?

Though I suppose I'll just put a switch in there to lower the sector again.. but the whole point of that room is that you can't get stuck in it and don't need a switch. I'm actually a little.. baffled by GzDoom right now.

5 hours ago, Zylinderkatze said:

GzDoom's Doomguy isn't 56 Units tall by default, then? Is there a compatiblity setting with which he'll have the "standard" height?

nope, the height is standard. the difference is in engine internals -- floating point, and lift implementation details. you can stuck in k8vavoom too -- after hitting the ceiling with DoomGuy's head, the lift is considered "ok" slightly lower, so there is Just Enough Room for DoomGuy to fit in. not really a GZDoom fault -- it is not possible to exactly emulate Vanilla without being Vanilla, especially after switching from fixed point to floating point.

5 hours ago, Zylinderkatze said:

I'm actually a little.. baffled by GzDoom right now.

oh... then you will definitely won't like k8vavoom -- it is even less "strictly-vanilla-compatible". Graf spent alot of time trying to make sure that GZDoom is as close to Vanilla as possible, and i am usually ok with "oh, it's close enough for me, download Choco if you're so Pure." ;-)

@Zylinderkatze If you didn't tag some "secret" sectors as secret intentionally, it's fine by me. Regarding E1M1, it's just that all the pistol fights make for a really bad first impression and it may dissuade people from playing further. Maybe you could make the chaingun accessible sooner?

6 hours ago, ketmar said:

floating point.

Better wright down your points so they don't float away!

(yes I'm a programmer myself and I know what floating points are ^^ but I also have terrible humor so there your go)

I made that room 48 units high now, so that issue is a thing of the past. Unless your okay with a character mod / deh that makes the character really short.

6 hours ago, ketmar said:

you're so Pure

I'm not sure whether that's how I'd describe myself xD

But yeah, I believe I might be using some vanilla-engine-specific quirks (possibly without knowing). I did play the whole thing through on GzDoom but I'm not sure whether I tested every secret. I fact I know I didn't, now that I think about it, otherwise I might've caught the E1M4 RadSuit issue myself. 

That said, I have to further admit that I don't always test a variety of user actions for a particular trap or interactive element. Which is exactly what peer review / testing is for and also why I should've been more adamant about having it tested more before release ._.

9 hours ago, Caleb13 said:

intentionally

The secret sectors that were unreachable in that first release were a blatant oversight on my part and definitely not intentional.. I'm a completionist myself and I know how much it sucks to finish a level with "80%" when you know you've accessed every possible room.

I did a whole bunch of test runs but apparently never with the intention to check for 100% secrets. Or I added new stuff after an initial 100%-check was done and made that initial test worthless. Either way, I'll make sure to check for that much more closely on my follow up project after this one ^^

9 hours ago, Caleb13 said:

chaingun

My first impulse was to say no, because I wanted it to be hard.. and the rewards of fighting (and searching) to get the Plasma Gun to be that much sweeter when you get it.. but I'm considering it now- I might put a Chaingun in the small storage room where the sleeping quarters are. That's a good place for a Chaingun, right? ^^;

I'll try a few things.

Edited by Zylinderkatze : auto-incorrect correction