Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zylinderkatze

1995 called. They want their Doom levels back.

A little comparison:

The starting room, then and now.

That was then:

e1m5b1.png

This is now:

e1m5b2.png

However, It's not final, of course. The "now" is kind of lacking the oppressive "weight" of the thick marble slab above. I might lower the "DEM1_*" ceiling a bit again.. and adjust the ceiling in general, it feels too green now.

It's just a quick first look, really, at the.. renewal efforts ^^

More soon~

Edited by Zylinderkatze

Thankful.

I have to admit, looking back at the progression- my progression- from the beginning of the year until now.. I am .. thankful that I have the original source material from 199X to anchor me to the "old school" days ^^;

Because with stuff like the last two screenshots (the "new now" and the very.. structurally unsound GSTONE wall), I seem to be slowly transcending into a more "realistic" (?) approach, more detailed, more in line with the "new school", in some ways. I think.

Not that I am there yet- I am still ways away from the greats and what has transpired while I was gone- but still. I feel like the original levels kind of keep me rooted, in a good way.

I guess we won't know what a "completely new, from scratch" level would look like, from me, until after this project is done. If you don't count my one Speedmapping challenge participation on here, which was low-ish on detail for other reasons (such as time constrains.. and lack of familiarity with Boom) ^^;

The cool thing is: I am still highly motivated to keep this going, even though I am 4 maps in already (or 5, depending on whether you count the one I just started).

I could even see myself revive the "E2" concepts which I had back in the day but of which I lost everything aside from E2M1 (which sucks because the bonus level I had 20% done was pure sugar coated terror :3)

We'll see how my views might change by the time I am done with E1 ^^;

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

Addendum ("Thankful Part 2")

I am also very thankful for you people on here; Your support, (constructive) criticism and humor. Which sounds like a weird summary. Definitely an incomplete one.

So.. Thank you. You're helping :)

This actually looks like something I would enjoy, especially with all the 90's dust on it (i.e the history of it, just to clarify incase it gets misinterpreted). I can honestly say I don't think I have ever played a map based around an oil-rig.

I'm always happy to see some old school stuff. I personally believe it's a good thing to have new vanilla maps along with the modern maps. Sometimes you just want to relax and kill demons in interesting environments. Other times you might be in the mood for eye-candy maps that have taken months to complete. They all have their place and both mapstyles (vannila/modern) can be just as memorable if well designed. 

I don't think the bricks make it modern, that's just a little detailing to spice the aesthetics up in my book. It shows the mapper has some passion/imagination for his map. I wouldn't worry about it.

Either way, best of luck in your endeavours.

The dislodged marble bricks are cool, I like them. One of the maps in Congestion 1024 did the same sort of thing

4 hours ago, Horus said:

The dislodged marble bricks are cool, I like them. One of the maps in Congestion 1024 did the same sort of thing

This is where my (intentional?) ignorance / lack of active self-exposure to other work comes to bite me in the [redacted].

Though, that said, I do believe that I saw something among these lines somewhere before, in a screenshot here or there.. even if I couldn't pinpoint the "where", exactly. So thank you for the heads up.  think I also saw a version where someone used the skybox for it.. I think.. but I never checked that out in game (or editor).. I'll have to check out how they did it in their map :)

What I mean to say is: I am not even going to claim that it's my idea.. but I am satisfied with how it turned out, here. ^^

Sadly, this took me 2 hours at least and it's only one side of a "bricks on either side of a MARBFACE" setup.. so it'll ber another hour at least to finish the other side, even with now knowing how I did it on the other side.. and also probably not going quite as detailed on that side xD

Either way, it'll be a nice "better watch out, something's not right here" mood setter.

INFO: There's an updated version of this response further down the thread xD

Edited by Zylinderkatze : (added the link to the follow up)

14 minutes ago, LiT_gam3r said:

I love how you update every day! I love looking at amazing screenshots like that! is this still a WIP or has it been released? 

Hey @LiT_gam3r! Good to see you. 

Yes, it's still ongoing.. probably will, for another few months, until it's all finished. I'm at E1M5 now, out of a full Doom1 Episode set of 8 + 1.

My plan is to have it done this year but with the amount of time I am sinking into this (and the fact that I still have an actual job), I am only inching ahead at about 2 hours of editing / mapping a day.

I did publish the "beta" versions (for the lack of a.. beta name.. haha.. ha) of E1M1 - E1M4 and linked them in the very first post of this thread.. but they are really just that; Early versions that will be revised again before I pack them all up in the end. 

There is "thing placement" for all difficulties, for example.. but I only playtested (and pseudo- / semi-balanced) it on difficulty 3 / HMP. Other difficulties will likely have an abundance (or utter lack) of ammunition and/or health.

I am pretty sure that the current map (E1M5) will take at least a month to finish cleaning it up, at my pace (which means it'll take two).

But please do keep checking back- as you said yourself, I update this pretty much every day xD

1 hour ago, Final Verdict said:

This actually looks like something I would enjoy, especially with all the 90's dust on it (i.e the history of it, just to clarify incase it gets misinterpreted). I can honestly say I don't think I have ever played a map based around an oil-rig.

I'm always happy to see some old school stuff. I personally believe it's a good thing to have new vanilla maps along with the modern maps. Sometimes you just want to relax and kill demons in interesting environments. Other times you might be in the mood for eye-candy maps that have taken months to complete. They all have their place and both mapstyles (vannila/modern) can be just as memorable if well designed. 

I don't think the bricks make it modern, that's just a little detailing to spice the aesthetics up in my book. It shows the mapper has some passion/imagination for his map. I wouldn't worry about it.

Either way, best of luck in your endeavours.

Greetings, @Final Verdict! Welcome to this beast of a thread ^^;

Concerning the Oil Rig: If you do decide to test the beta versions linked in the first post, be "warned": The Oil Rig (E1M1) map ends prematurely.

• Planned: You disable the rig and then escape the rig on a boat (with which you then arrive in E1M2, which is already done)
  • Current: The level ends when you trigger the switch mentioned above.. without the escape part. This is because I ran into a few "too much detail for Vanilla Doom" woes that would've taken too much time to resolve.. and I had already been working on that level for.. very long, by then.

However, if you do want to extend your play time in that map, try finding the Yellow Key Card on the top level of the rig. It's completely optional and only needed if you want to get to the Plasma Gun. I went a little overboard with that optional section of the level xD

Also, don't worry about being misinterpreted.. I am usually in a mindset where I assume that someone didn't mean something they said in a negative sense.

Speaking of misinterpretation, though.. (dun dun dunn) ..or rather, phrasing something in a way that might be misconstrued: When I spoke / wrote of my levels approaching a "new school" or "realistic" feel (or that I am glad that I am staying rooted because of the levels having a sort of "legacy" to them) ..I didn't necessarily mean that they look too modern but rather that my mapping style is (hopefully) improving in fidelity.

..or maybe we're having two seperate conversations right now ^^;

Either way- hello, welcome, stay a while and listen :)

4 hours ago, Horus said:

I didn't clarify this earlier but I figured I'd give some detail on how I ended up with those bricks ^^

Here's my process:

This is what the room looked like in 1997:

e1m5c1.png

Alright. Yeah. I guess. Who needs details, eh?

I made the room a little bigger and decided for GSTONE1:

e1m5c2.png

Okay.. slightly better. But still lacking.

Then I though to myself.. "self? Wouldn't it be cool if it looked like the stones are kind of peeling off and shifting forward?" ..and my self replied "hell yeah!"

And then I ended up with this:

e1m5c3.png

Uhhnf~

So it was a process, really- but what I meant is that I am sure I saw something like it before and it likely stuck with me subconsciously and came back to me now. 

Good thing it did.. because -as I said- I rather like how it turned out :3

Also, yes, this means I am done with both sides now ^_^

Goodnight!

21 hours ago, Zylinderkatze said:

Greetings, @Final Verdict! Welcome to this beast of a thread ^^;

Concerning the Oil Rig: If you do decide to test the beta versions linked in the first post, be "warned": The Oil Rig (E1M1) map ends prematurely.

• Planned: You disable the rig and then escape the rig on a boat (with which you then arrive in E1M2, which is already done)
  • Current: The level ends when you trigger the switch mentioned above.. without the escape part. This is because I ran into a few "too much detail for Vanilla Doom" woes that would've taken too much time to resolve.. and I had already been working on that level for.. very long, by then.

However, if you do want to extend your play time in that map, try finding the Yellow Key Card on the top level of the rig. It's completely optional and only needed if you want to get to the Plasma Gun. I went a little overboard with that optional section of the level xD

Also, don't worry about being misinterpreted.. I am usually in a mindset where I assume that someone didn't mean something they said in a negative sense.

Speaking of misinterpretation, though.. (dun dun dunn) ..or rather, phrasing something in a way that might be misconstrued: When I spoke / wrote of my levels approaching a "new school" or "realistic" feel (or that I am glad that I am staying rooted because of the levels having a sort of "legacy" to them) ..I didn't necessarily mean that they look too modern but rather that my mapping style is (hopefully) improving in fidelity.

..or maybe we're having two seperate conversations right now ^^;

Either way- hello, welcome, stay a while and listen :)

I will indeed give it a spin if I get the chance. I'm genuinely interested in trying it out. However, I have a bit of a backlog to get through at the moment so I'll see how it goes.

As for the misinterpreted thing: No worries, it's more muscle memory than anything else. You know how it is now, people always misconstrue the meaning on the internet and it's not always deliberate. Text format probably doesn't help :D

Ah, and thanks for the cordial welcome. I'll be sure to come back and check on progress. Once again: best of luck in your endeavours.

4 hours ago, Armaetus said:

Levels look nice and modestly detailed, I could never do daily updates like this.

Hey @Armaetus! Thanks for the cautious appreciation xD I don't know you yet so I don't know how much of a compliment that was.. but it's good to see you either way!

I'm trying to maintain a decent level of detail while at the same time making sure that the levels don't exceed Vanilla / Chocolate Doom limits. Which means that the level of detail is limited by those.. limits ^^; ..and by my own (occasional lack of) versatility and skill when it comes to making the most out of those limits :) 

Also I don't want to stray too far from the original maps from 1997 (with the exception of E1M1 which is a complete rebuild). There's another example of that coming up in my next post x3

"My next post"

Here's an example of today's renewal efforts. Or at least one snapshot of it, at one angle. There's a bunch more that happened behind the scenes.

Here's the old version from 1997:

e1m5d1.png

Brown and some more brown, with a few odd light levels and too much "sector effect 8"

And here's the current state of it, after some careful mending:

e1m5d2.png

Still a lot of brown. I'm not 100% satisfied with it yet but it's better. I think.

Also: Guess what direction you come from xD

I chose a marble floor (currently "DEM1_5") because it kind of picks up the GSTONE1 / SP_DUDE1 from the wall (and the GSTONE1 from the room you came from at this point).. Also, because I wanted less brown in this room. Not sure about the SATYR above the outcrop. I might switch it to a slab of GSTSATYR instead (or remove it entirely) but I'm leaving it for now :)

Also, it's 11:30pm here and I am finally going to try to go to bed before midnight for once xD

So.. goodnight!

One more thing..

Just a minor thing, I'd say.. but the room from yesterday's update is already bumping into a few limits that you can only see at a few choice angles. In this case it's not so much a detail problem but one of angles and closeness of lines and vertices. Basically mini slime trails.

Here's one:

e1m5d3.png

Shucks.

And here's another, in the circle:

e1m5d4.png

So cute! :3

Not fixing this until ever later.

Okay but now, seriously.. goodnight :)

Just a small update today

Had a long work day at the end of a long work week so I am not going to work well into the night today. Instead just a small update of what is the beginning of "feeling out how to touch up the labyrinth" (excellent title for a self-help book, there).

Here's the area I covered yesterday, vs. today:

e1m5e3.png

There was more that I did yesterday but this is the part that's connected :)

Details about the "today" bit:

Here's an in-editor view of what (little) I did. I am still trying to gauge what "feels right" in this area so it's little things for now.

I don't think that I want to completely rebuild an area.. for once xD

Old version, ca. 1997, at two angles:

e1m5e1.png + e1m5e5.png

There's some diversity and even detail.. but.. not really. It's all very flat.

Newish version, ca. 10 minutes ago, at very similar angles:

e1m5e2.png + e1m5e4.png

Not really sure about the rectangular passageway on the left but it does have recognition value.

I'll sleep on it and then see what happens tomorrow xD

Possibly good things.

But for now: sleep!

G'bye!

Edited by Zylinderkatze