Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ShadowTheDemon

Heaven Themed Map

Hey guys. Been a long time since I've been back on here.

I was playing through the megawad "Eviternity" and I couldn't believe how beautiful the architecture was for each theme, particularly the heaven/greek themed maps (Maps 26 through 32)

So I decided to try and make one of my own. Do you guys have any advice on what I should implement into the level?

My ideas so far are to have the inside of the palace area become an armory (because there will be a lot of monsters to fight)

To have multiple paths to choose from and be able to backtrack when necessary

Put in enough detail to restrict movement while providing cover for the player when engaged in combat

Even when checking out the level itself, I'm hoping to give you guys an aesthetics boner.

I've been working on this the last week or so. Any thoughts?

Screenshot_Doom_20200209_183308.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200209_183212.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200209_183246.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200209_183250.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200209_183257.png

The design looks very nice but the lack of lighting variation is ruining its potential. The repetitive textures on the floors and walls are bit ugly but I suspect its the lighting that's making it stand out.

Personally I think the sky should be proper white clouds to really create a convincing Heaven.

That's my criticism but I do want to say it's looking quite good.

7 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

Pretty much what Chezza said. Add more lighting variation and avoid repetitive textures.

Yeah, I'll start with fixing the Palace.

15 hours ago, Chezza said:

The design looks very nice but the lack of lighting variation is ruining its potential. The repetitive textures on the floors and walls are bit ugly but I suspect its the lighting that's making it stand out.

Personally I think the sky should be proper white clouds to really create a convincing Heaven.

That's my criticism but I do want to say it's looking quite good.

I was trying to see if I could perhaps create a gold sky, because it's been said that Heaven is filled with gold and paved with gold streets

Revelations 21:21 And the twelve gates were twelve pearls: every several gate was of one pearl: and the street of the city was pure gold, as it were transparent glass.

Now, for the record I'm not religious but if you were to create a heaven themed map, you'd want to stick to mythology to a certain extent.

I made a centerpiece, took a couple of support pillars off of the catwalk, put some windows on the palace, changed the texture, and maximized interior spaceimage.png.0c48fc89478a50e709b92a37bb64fce9.pngimage.png.933a63d05e7a5f6b84a0ddabfe664a1a.png