Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KainXavier

Does DOOM Resurrection take place in the DOOM 3 universe?

Both doomwiki.org and the Fandom wiki state that DOOM Resurrection takes place in the same universe as DOOM 3.  However, is there any evidence in either game or DOOM 3's expansions that this is actually the case?  I always thought DOOM Resurrection was its own thing.

The protagonist of DOOM Resurrection looks remarkably similar to the DOOM 3 marine.  So much so that I thought they were the same character up until I watched Linguica's gameplay videos earlier today.  And honestly, they still could be.  It's hard to tell what concessions were made to accomodate the target platform.  Not to mention that we don't get to see the DOOM 3 marine's face a whole lot.  He could be just as expressive as the one in Resurrection.

There's also the timeline to consider.  The demonic invasion of Mars City occurs some time in June 2145 in DOOM Resurrection.  (It says so in the game's opening video.)  Per doomwiki.org, DOOM 3's invasion occurs in November of the same year.  (I'm assuming this date was extrapolated from the in-game PDA's or possibly mentioned somewhere in Resurrection of Evil.)  This could strengthen the argument that both games take place in the same universe, but then isn't it weird that there's no mention of a prior invasion in DOOM 3?  Or that both invasions play out in the same way?  The most we get are e-mails describing isolated incidents and Counselor Swann complaining about having to clean up Dr. Betruger's messes.

The most logical answer is that DOOM Resurrection takes place shortly after the demonic invasion depicted in DOOM 3.  Chronological order be damned.  But what about The Lost Mission expansion?  Well, shit.  Now we have two stories regarding a Bravo team survivor closing portals to Hell and escaping on a dropship.  Can they co-exist?  No, they can't.  The opening video in DOOM Resurrection states that its protagonist is the last surviving member of Bravo Team.  DOOM 3 and The Lost Mission also make it clear that the rest of the party is wiped out.  So how do we resolve all of these discrepancies?  Enter the multiverse.

DOOM Resurrection exists in a universe where the demonic invasion of the UAC Research Facility on Mars occurs earlier than it did in DOOM 3.  The events of DOOM 3 could have also taken place in this universe but it may not have been by the DOOM 3 marine as we know him.  He appears to be an existing member of Bravo Team and not a new transfer.  The events of Resurrection of Evil could have also occurred but it's unclear whether or not Dr. Betruger became the Maledict.  (I don't believe Dr. Betruger is mentioned in DOOM Resurrection.  Correct me if I'm wrong!)  As for the Lost Mission, it takes place in its own universe complete with the events of DOOM 3 and most likely Resurrection of Evil.

And now for some multiverse shenanigans...

Resurrection of Evil features a character named M. Ryden that looks a lot like the DOOM 3 marine.  He also has an affinity for sentry bots.  Wouldn't it be cool if he was actually the Doom Resurrection protagonist?

Both DOOM 3 and DOOM 4 depict an ancient warrior fighting off hordes of demons.  Wouldn't it be cool if this was the DOOM Slayer? 

And if the DOOM Slayer's a martian and the DOOM Eternal protagonist is a human with dark hair, doesn't this mean the person we play as in DOOM Eternal is actually the DOOM 3 marine?  (Note: I don't actually want this but I like the idea of screwing with players' expectations about DOOM Eternal being a direct sequel to DOOM 4.)

Crazier still, what if the ancient warrior fighting off hordes of demons is depicting the events of DOOM 64?  (I really like the idea of DOOM 64 being the one consistent thing that happens across all universes/timelines.)

Let me know what you think!

Edited by KainXavier

The textures are the same as Doom 3

The environments are the same as Doom 3 

The sounds are the same as Doom 3 

The enemies are the same as Doom 3 

The models are the same as Doom 3 

It uses the Doom 3 logo

It uses the Doom 3 intro 

It uses the Doom 3 menu music 

It takes place in the same setting as Doom 3 at the same time

It references the same locations as Doom 3 

You are a surviving member of the Bravo team, a team from Doom 3 

I'm gonna have to say maybe but frankly it's really too close to call 

^ Ditto.

It's by all means the same D3 universe, set after the events of the base game.

4 hours ago, seed said:

It's by all means the same D3 universe, set after the events of the base game.

So do you think there were actually two Bravo team survivors then?

3 hours ago, KainXavier said:

So do you think there were actually two Bravo team survivors then?

Not necessarily, just its successor maybe.

@KainXavier, to me Doom Resurrection's date was a big mistake that they wanted to fix in Doom 3: Lost missions.

Doom 3: Lost missions mirrors some events that occured in Doom Resurrection: one Bravo team survivor, happening hours later after the demonic invasion, etc...

13 hours ago, KainXavier said:

The protagonist of DOOM Resurrection looks remarkably similar to the DOOM 3 marine.

No, they are not... Doom Resurrection guy actually looks like those guys that infest Mars City.

But I have a solution to this problem: Doom resurrection actually takes place in another Doom3 timeline that occured in June 2145. In this separate timeline Dr.Betruger was able to call the Marine Fleet to get their ships and take this Hell to Earth but little he know there was a Bravo Team survivor that found a good scientist and a robot/drone called SAM that help the Bravo team guy to stop part of the demonic invasion... Later the Fleet arrived on Mars to save the scientist and Bravoguy... Little they know they were going to die, the demons took their ships and teleported themselves to Hell. In Doom 2 RPG, that occurs in 2146, Stan Blazkowicz finds SAM's remains in Hell (Icon of Sin Level)

This also happened to the Bravoguy in the current Doom3 timeline, they were saved by the Fleet but they died at the demons hands that took their ships and took this Hell to Earth. That's why there was just one survivor found on Friday 20th 2145: the Marine. Next stop: Hell on Earth.

I have more theories if you wanna read them...

I think it does, sort of a spin-off like Half-Life has it's own expansions.

Theories are pretty unrelevant, they used most of Doom 3 models and textures downgraded because why create new models ?

@seed

Gotcha, I don't disagree!  The release of The Lost Mission suggests that id really liked the idea of a second survivor and they decided to bring those story elements to a wider audience.  It also raises an interesting question.  Was DOOM Resurrection's plot based on cut DOOM 3 content, or was the cut DOOM 3 content merely a handful of maps that needed a story?

@Gerardo194

I'm inclined to agree with you on the invasion date being wrong, especially if the main character is not the DOOM 3 marine.  DOOM Resurrection works really well as a side-story for DOOM 3 in that context.

Also, I completely forgot about SAM showing up in DOOM II RPG!  That opens up a whole new can of worms because the DOOM RPG series is definitely set in a different universe than DOOM 3.  However, it totally works if we assume there are multiple universes that all share the same Hell (as DOOM 4 seems to suggest).

Lastly, feel free to theorize!  I'd like to stick to DOOM 3 and DOOM Resurrection as much as possible but I expected the discussion to broaden into the other games.

@xyzz

So you also believe the invasion date is wrong and the marine is a different character then?

Edited by KainXavier

@Gerardo194

Your post in the first topic was part of what inspired me to create this thread.  The Slayer's testaments in DOOM 4 have opened up a world of possibility from a story-telling perspective.  I saw a whole bunch of discussion about how DOOM, DOOM II, and DOOM 64 relate to the new games but hardly anything about where DOOM 3 and its spin-off and expansions fit into this new multiverse.  And as I've pointed out, there's a lot of stuff to discuss.  That Doomguy easter egg in DOOM 3 may no longer be just an easter egg.  And that's really, really exciting to me as a fan of the series.

Like you, I hope that DOOM Eternal surprises us by revealing that its protagonist is not who we think it is.  Or at the very least, forces us to re-think what we know.

I've also read your second topic before.  I really like the idea of the Khan Maykr becoming the Mother demon.  We've seen humans become demons before so why not angels? :)  Also, I'm totally on board with the idea of those three Maykrs being the "key" to powering the Unmaker/Unmaykr.  Lastly, if Argent D'Nur does wind up being Mars, it perfectly ties in DOOM 3 to the rest of the series.  (It may also explain why the dude talking about the DOOM Hunter sounds so much like Betruger.)  Ya gotta love timeline / multiverse shenanigans. :)

I'll throw in another crazy theory. 

DOOM is "eternal" because in every timeline/universe Hell is unleashed, a hero tries to stop it, and said hero becomes trapped in Hell.  But what if the Wretch did more than just provide a set of armor?  What if the Wretch provided a means for someone to travel back in time, stop the invasion, and break the cycle?

Edited by KainXavier

@KainXavier have you ever listened to Harbinger soundtrack from Doom 2016?? If you listen to it carefully, you will notice that it is just a Doom'16 version of Doom 3's soundtrack. Unlike what people can say, Doom 2016 takes much from Doom 3, not just the classic ones...

There are many things I feel worried about Doom Eternal but I still hope it surprises and not disappoints me just like other games did, blame it on their devs...

Doom 3 answers questions that weren't answered in Classic Doom and Doom 2016 answers questions that weren't answered in both Doom 3 and Classic Doom, that's why I replayed the games and started dividing everything in timelines and not what fandom wikies or people want to think, e.g: Doom3 -> Doom RPG -> Doom 1 -> etc... That makes no sense, Doom 2 would be the perfect sequel to the aforementioned games in different timelines.

13 hours ago, KainXavier said:

I'll throw in another crazy theory. 

DOOM is "eternal" because in every timeline/universe Hell is unleashed, a hero tries to stop it, and said hero becomes trapped in Hell.  But what if the Wretch did more than just provide a set of armor?  What if the Wretch provided a means for someone to travel back in time, stop the invasion, and break the cycle?

Why not?? That could be cool to know... We saw the Betrayer handing off a sort of device to the Doom Slayer this time...

Something I have discussed with my bros is that in Doom Eternal we are seeing an invasion in Phobos, an invasion that hasn't happened before or at least in this timeline where Doom Slayer is trapped now... Is that the first Phobos invasion that the UAC is facing now?? Should that be a surprise for us The Player?? We've been in Phobos before... two times... 

When I first played Plutonia... I didn't understood its amazing settings, I was so confused believing I was going through Hellish levels but after realizing the the  Quantum Accelerator was a sort of time traveling device (thanks to the Casali's story) I understood I was travelling through space/time where demons have been causing invasions... Odyssey of Noises then was just early 20th century invaded by the demons in another timeline... 

Believe me, I would love to see Betrayer having a time travelling device.

From here: https://doom.fandom.com/wiki/Doom_3_timeline

"June - 21:00 hours UMT. Experiment in the Delta Labs triggers an unknown event, resulting in the systematic invasion of the entire facility. Marine forces are deployed to hot spots around the facility, with many teams encountering heavy resistance. Bravo Team was ambushed in EnPro facility while searching for survivors. There was only one survivor of the team"

I would assume, this is the Lost mission part, not the ROE campaign. 

Also: when ROE starts, the narration states, that we are in 2147. So that could have not happened before the events of 2145. (*logic* lol)

4 hours ago, Gez said:

please don't link to doom.fanwank.com, its articles are trash

In my defense, I linked to doomwiki.org three times as much as the Fandom wiki.  :p

That said, the information on doomwiki.org is still contradictive.  DOOM Resurrection can't take place after the invasion depicted in DOOM 3 if its events begin before that game does.  There probably should be some kind of note added to both wikis, but I also feel that's being too pedantic.  Really, I just wanted to discuss fun multiverse theories and show why there could be more than one DOOM-3-themed universe/timeline.

Edited by KainXavier

On 2/10/2020 at 6:49 AM, KainXavier said:

The protagonist of DOOM Resurrection looks remarkably similar to the DOOM 3 marine.  So much so that I thought they were the same character up until I watched Linguica's gameplay videos earlier today.  And honestly, they still could be.

No, clearly not. The player character in Doom Resurrection has the look of one of the recurring NPCs, for example Miller (or is it Marak? The one on the right):

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/File:MillerMarak.jpg

All the stories take place in the same Doom 3 universe, and seemingly contradictory details can be easily explained by the chaos that came with the demon invasion. How can you tell exactly how many people survived the initial attacks? Many died, many went missing, but you also met many survivors during the main campaign. So there is plenty opportunity for side-characters with their own side stories. Lost Mission took one of these opportunites by introducing that one of the Bravo team marines was just knocked unconscious instead of killed: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Bravo_Team

Edited by Tetzlaff

It does take place in the same universe, but it suffers from continuity issues and limited faces trope because they didn't care enough to make a proper sequel.

ROEguy is suppoused to be a different guy than Doom3guy, but due to tech limitations and time constraints they could only give him the look of a crackhead version of Doom3guy.

I think Resurrection of Evil is actually a novel written by Doom3guy while he was imprisoned in a UAC facility, while the company covers up for the Mars City incident and doesn't know what to do with him, whether to kill him or appoint him as a military instructor taking advantage of his experience so the company is better prepared to deal with a new invasion.

5 hours ago, Solmyr said:

ROEguy is suppoused to be a different guy than Doom3guy, but due to tech limitations and time constraints they could only give him the look of a crackhead version of Doom3guy.

LOL Well I think it wasn't due to techical limitations, it's just that the RoE guy isn't very pretty on purpose. Not everyone can look like a handsome gentleman. Wouldn't be very realistic.

As for the "what happened to the Doom marine afterwards" theories: the UAC could also declare him psychotic and lock him away in a mental institution. This could be the starting point for another story.

5 hours ago, Tetzlaff said:

LOL Well I think it wasn't due to techical limitations, it's just that the RoE guy isn't very pretty on purpose. Not everyone can look like a handsome gentleman. Wouldn't be very realistic.

True, not everyone can look as handsome as classic doomguy, or Eliott Swan, however they could of gave him a moustache, beard, side burns or different hair color to distinguish him further from his predecesor, unless id was implying that Doom3guy did drugs for a while to cope with his demon slaying trauma.

@Leninova

That timeline entry is actually referencing the events of DOOM: Resurrection.

@Tetzlaff

Thanks for the picture!  You've convinced me the DOOM Resurrection marine is not the DOOM 3 marine.

As for the chaos of the invasion, I don't doubt more people survived than depicted but I do find it a bit suspect that two Bravo team members survived.  DOOM Resurrection specifically states you're the last surviving member of Bravo team.  Sergeant Kelly was also in contact with Bravo Team so it's weird that he wouldn't have both surviving members join back up or assist the DOOM 3 marine.  I suppose you could chalk it up to equipment failure and/or demonic influence, though.  (Also, isn't it weird that Sergeant Kelly can radio all of the marines but they can't radio each other?)

Previously, I thought DOOM 3, DOOM Resurrection, and the Lost Mission all depicted the same room with the deceased Bravo team members.  However, rewatching the cutscenes from each game indicates they are three distinct rooms.  The area in which The Lost Mission takes place makes sense because the demons dragged the marines there.  But that doesn't explain why Bravo team split up into the groups we see in DOOM 3 and DOOM Resurrection.

@Solmyr

lol

I always thought his character design was meant to be more of a nod to the OG Doomguy but you're right, he looks strung out.  That Artifact must have a hell of a kick! ;)

As for post DOOM 3 theories, is there anything that suggests TNT: Evilution has to take place after DOOM II?  I could easily see the DOOM 3 marine being relocated to Jupiter to oversee the UAC's teleporter experiments there.

On 2/16/2020 at 3:43 PM, Solmyr said:

however they could of gave him a moustache, beard, side burns or different hair color to distinguish him further from his predecesor

Well, he actually has side burns: 650608-925095_20050403_025.jpg