Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hunting4r2d2

New Slayer gate gameplay

Recently there some new gameplay released of one of the later slayer gates:

In it we finally get to see some gameplay of the Tyrant and Arch-vile.

Siiiiick please cryosleep me till march 20 i can't take it anymore. On gmans playthrough nightmare is just ... wow, they meant what they said and the delay was for a reason. This will be satisfying to complete

Archie is a bit of a letdown though he just spawns zombies, is stationary and his attack just isn't what i expected at least. I hope they either alter him a bit or maybe he was like this for the slayer gate presentation and is much more mobile and can actually resurrect heavies in the final game. The way he is he doesn't seem as dangerous or as much of a priority. Idk ... i expected more from the archvile

Can anyone pls send a screenshot of tyrant codex page. Slayers gate gameplay end there is a mesage tyrant codex unlocked. Can anyone send it pls???

27 minutes ago, Berko666 said:

Can anyone pls send a screenshot of tyrant codex page. Slayers gate gameplay end there is a mesage tyrant codex unlocked. Can anyone send it pls???

Most players dont bother to watch the codex and u cant really in the slayer gate. Afaik there are few codex entries out there and the ones there are, are mostly incomplete.

1 hour ago, Urdak5891 said:

Archie is a bit of a letdown though he just spawns zombies, is stationary and his attack just isn't what i expected at least. I hope they either alter him a bit or maybe he was like this for the slayer gate presentation and is much more mobile and can actually resurrect heavies in the final game. The way he is he doesn't seem as dangerous or as much of a priority. Idk ... i expected more from the archvile

It looks like he has a hitscan or near-hitscan attack in the gameplay footage.

5 minutes ago, Novaseer said:

It looks like he has a hitscan or near-hitscan attack in the gameplay footage.

I see, maybe he is more dangerous than he looks here / feels through the gameplay of someone else, and come in multiples in the final game.

The Archvile is tough as nails this time around, he can tank 2 bfg blasts upclose and immediately heals any demons around him.  He's definitely not exactly a "summoner" reskin.

5 minutes ago, STILES said:

The Archvile is tough as nails this time around, he can tank 2 bfg blasts upclose and immediately heals any demons around him.  He's definitely not exactly a "summoner" reskin.

Maybe the bfg isn't that powerful this time, I noticed it doesn't clear a room. I also saw him summon zombies with a red hue. Are you sure he heals? I thought he would resurrect, aka respawn same ai since there are disappearing corpses this time around.

Ok looking at both Jack's and the original video, the Archvile is a lot more dangerous than what Urdak assumed.

Bear in mind that in The original video the player was moving all over the place so we couldn't really determine how difficult the Archvile really is.

Let's go over a few things immediately:

1: Archvile is nowhere near as mobile as Summoner and the original Archvile. This is actually a good thing as I will explain much later on.

2: He is super tanky, as Archie tanked 2 complete blows with the BFG and still took quite a few shots to actually get staggered. Imagine the health pool combined with the original game's mobility (bear in mind the BFG could one-shot Archviles in Doom 2 and Doom 3's variant moved just as slow.).

3: He has a lot more attacks that could be a lot more dangerous to deal with. He not only has his original flame blast attack (jack's gameplay shows flame appearing on screen before he left sight), he also can summon PAIN ELEMENTALS (yes pain elementals, watch the original video carefully), shoot flame swathes at the player, and create a shield that could tank even more hits from the DoomSlayer's arsenal.

Yeah essentially, Archie here is a significantly more buffed enemy than what some viewers assume. I think the mobility nerf is kinda deserved as that would make him practically unkillable. 

1 hour ago, Urdak5891 said:

Maybe the bfg isn't that powerful this time, I noticed it doesn't clear a room. I also saw him summon zombies with a red hue. Are you sure he heals? I thought he would resurrect, aka respawn same ai since there are disappearing corpses this time around.

Edit: Actually not entirely sure what the red glow is doing, it occurs after the player damaged the pain elemental but it may or may not be the Archvile "healing" him.

Edited by STILES

2 minutes ago, Urdak5891 said:

Because the engine doesn't allow perpetual enemy corpses, archie can't resurrect enemies. He does summon Pain elementals, which is super scary.

6 minutes ago, ZALGO said:

Ok looking at both Jack's and the original video, the Archvile is a lot more dangerous than what Urdak assumed.

Bear in mind that in The original video the player was moving all over the place so we couldn't really determine how difficult the Archvile really is.

Let's go over a few things immediately:

1: Archvile is nowhere near as mobile as Summoner and the original Archvile. This is actually a good thing as I will explain much later on.

2: He is super tanky, as Archie tanked 2 complete blows with the BFG and still took quite a few shots to actually get staggered. Imagine the health pool combined with the original game's mobility (bear in mind the BFG could one-shot Archviles in Doom 2 and Doom 3's variant moved just as slow.).

3: He has a lot more attacks that could be a lot more dangerous to deal with. He not only has his original flame blast attack (jack's gameplay shows flame appearing on screen before he left sight), he also can summon PAIN ELEMENTALS (yes pain elementals, watch the original video carefully), shoot flame swathes at the player, and create a shield that could tank even more hits from the DoomSlayer's arsenal.

Yeah essentially, Archie here is a significantly more buffed enemy than what some viewers assume. I think the mobility nerf is kinda deserved as that would make him practically unkillable. 

Hey where is the shield? I also heard from some of the guys playing (can't remember if gman or someone else) he has a huge deathblast on kill. 

As for the tyrant, he also throws a flaming attack from distance with the sword, with a telltale windup

Is it me, or does the combat shotgun have better range in Eternal than it did in 2016? All the videos I've seen thus far seem to suggest it... I just keep thinking of how the combat shotgun in 2016 doesn't hit a lot at even medium range, but here it's like people are shooting from longer distances. 

6 minutes ago, Urdak5891 said:

Hey where is the shield? I also heard from some of the guys playing (can't remember if gman or someone else) he has a huge deathblast on kill. 

As for the tyrant, he also throws a flaming attack from distance with the sword, with a telltale windup

Jacks's video showcases the Archvile in more upclose fashion 35:16.

In the video, Jack fires a BFG at it, and while it did hit the archvile, it retaliates by creating what looks like a flame shield. You can see that Jack immediately tries to strafe to the sides of the archvile as he saw it so we can easily believe that it is a shield that destroys projectiles or protect him.

1 minute ago, Taurus Daggerknight said:

Is it me, or does the combat shotgun have better range in Eternal than it did in 2016? All the videos I've seen thus far seem to suggest it... I just keep thinking of how the combat shotgun in 2016 doesn't hit a lot at even medium range, but here it's like people are shooting from longer distances. 

It has a tighter spread now to accomodate for the Automatic fire modification. 2016 was nowhere near as useful even with the triple fire mod having a tighter spread.

9 minutes ago, ZALGO said:

Jacks's video showcases the Archvile in more upclose fashion 35:16.

In the video, Jack fires a BFG at it, and while it did hit the archvile, it retaliates by creating what looks like a flame shield. You can see that Jack immediately tries to strafe to the sides of the archvile as he saw it so we can easily believe that it is a shield that destroys projectiles or protect him.

Oh I see, that is interesting.

39 minutes ago, STILES said:

Edit: Actually not entirely sure what the red glow is doing, it occurs after the player damaged the pain elemental but it may or may not be the Archvile "healing" him.

To me, it seems like some sort of buff the Archvile is applying to the demons. Maybe something that reduces the amount of damage they take.

I hope that part of healing nearby enemies is true because i almost thought he was just a slower/beefier Summoner with those "floor projectile" attacks from the WhipLash.

The thing about enemies sharing attacks and not enough "exclusive attacks/abilities" (like teleportation, grenades and Carcass wall shield) makes it look like they thought of a monster design/concept first before the actual gameplay role, so i hope the final release of the game breaks that notion of mine.

Because the thing with enemy variety is that most OG Doom enemies' gameplay is identifiable even if you change their sprites to their FreeDoom equivalents or Simpsons characters.

That's one reason why i'm usually coming up with dumb ideas (or good ideas that anyone else should have come up with instead of me) and not even minding if id is in fact looking up random Doom mods for inspiration or other games.

Enemy variety is a major trait of Doom and the like.

Simple enemies can exist as long as there's still some create/"weirder" types as well.

And i'm also glad that the Tyrant kept most of 2016 Cybie's attacks (even the rail gun) and i hope the Prowler still shoots three fireballs at once.

Because AI, movement, feedback, health/damage/pain chance numbers and hit boxes/weak spots (or whether or not they're fought outside arenas) are a good way to justify enemies with creative/weirder attacks.

I remember Heretic having a problem where some enemies felt too similiar, while bosses had more interesting attacks like the Iron Lich for example.

And even with the amount of possible enemies on screen and the absense of corpses, there should still be some abilities and attacks for enemies to have.

I hope that most Youtuber/press footage is secretly hiding things that will surprise me, like they're using a version edited to hide most content so even if some stuff is leaked and breaks NDA, it's still an incomplete version of the game lacking bigger surprises.

I think the demons with the red glow are actually being buffed by the Arch-Vile. I watched JackSepticEye's video and there was a glowing zombie that went for an attack much faster than they usually do.

7 minutes ago, Novaseer said:

I think the demons with the red glow are actually being buffed by the Arch-Vile. I watched JackSepticEye's video and there was a glowing zombie that went for an attack much faster than they usually do.

Yeah I realized this not long after I rewatched Haha. I feel stupid.

It says a lot about how polished the game will be if they're confident enough to just hand Youtuber's the keys to the car for consecutive hours and do and record almost anything.

Edited by oCrapaCreeper

The first video was lit as fuck, got me dry eyed watching it without barely blinking. Second video however scared the shit out of me with the dude yelling out of nowhere like an angry Leprechaun, my poop chute was not ready.

10 hours ago, Urdak5891 said:

The game is done. What we see is what we get.

8 hours ago, STILES said:

I like this. I also saw he can shield himself from attacks. Lines up very well with the original concept of the Arch-Vile being a mage. 

50 minutes ago, Super Mighty G said:

The game is done. What we see is what we get.

I like this. I also saw he can shield himself from attacks. Lines up very well with the original concept of the Arch-Vile being a mage. 

Yeah, I know its the finished version. We sure don't want any more delays. The shield is interesting, I spent a night watching footage and I could only see a fiery ring, is that the shield I keep hearing about?

Also, someone mentioned a flamey screen, but that is after those fiery waves ala summoner (though they come in 3 now) and I couldn't find anything close to the classic attack, other than the wave itself.