Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
twistedhydrgoen

What do you guys think about the soundtrack "Signs of Evil"

For me, when I hear this, it makes me feel like I lost something that I loved. And being deeply angry about it, but also sad aswell.
Let me know what you think.
By the way, I'm talking about DooM 1. (Original DooM)

I'm mostly just commenting because I want to tell you that I bloody love your avatar.

But yes! Sign of Evil. When I played Doom back in the 90s I had an Adlib card, and it sounded like this:

It's not how the track was intended to sound - on better soundcards that strange "plink" noise is a drum - but that's how I first heard it. I interpreted it as a something like a violin string pluck, and every other version just sounds wrong to me.

I will go to my grave insisting that this is the best version of the song.

1 hour ago, Nootrac4571 said:

I'm mostly just commenting because I want to tell you that I bloody love your avatar.

But yes! Sign of Evil. When I played Doom back in the 90s I had an Adlib card, and it sounded like this:

It's not how the track was intended to sound - on better soundcards that strange "plink" noise is a drum - but that's how I first heard it. I interpreted it as a something like a violin string pluck, and every other version just sounds wrong to me.

It sounds very futuristic to me lol.

I think it sounds like one of James Hetfields solos in Orion, when it gets all somber.

It sounds like what hopelessness would sound like to me.

For reference, go to 4:16.

And before anyone says it...my opinion is wrong and I should check wikipedia or some shit before I post something so awful.  This is a purely subjective post.

The Andrew Hulshult remix of Sign of Evil is my favourite. I really like this tune as well. It has sort of a melancholy to it, that eerily fits the green marble hell theme of Doom.

EPIC soundtrack , my favorite from Doom (Classic ones) . It's sad , makes me feel lonely and abandoned to my fate where i'm about to die. 

For me , the best way of enjoying this masterpiece (well all doom soundtracks) is with a roland sc-55 sound font . 

PS : "The Demon's Dead" from Doom 2 is my 2nd favorite 

10 hours ago, Nootrac4571 said:

OPL synth is still the best way to listen to Doom fight me

Not sure if it was a happy coincidence or deliberate, but in OPL the drum "plink" noise emits a C note, and Sign of Evil is in C minor, which is probably why it works very well to most ears.  Perhaps on modern sound cards you could create a similar-ish effect by replacing that drum with a timpani playing a high C.

The plink version gives it a cool break beat sound. It’s like an accidental remix haha. Check out Rimco’s remake of the track it’s pretty much true to the original but higher production value than raw MIDI can offer. I first found that version because John Romero linked to it on his website in endorsement.

But yeah I agree with everyone here, the track really sums up the lonely surreal misery of Doom especially E1M8 where you first hear it.