Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
  • 0
Tuckymonster

Teleporting monsters

Question

So my monsters will successfully teleport on the linedef i picked. but they wont scroll. Basically what i'm doing is trying to make it so when you hit a linedef doors in a dummy sector will open and the monster should scroll with a scrolling texture to a teleporting linedef. But they wont scroll. Why?

Share this post


Link to post

7 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
19 minutes ago, Tuckymonster said:

So my monsters will successfully teleport on the linedef i picked. but they wont scroll. Basically what i'm doing is trying to make it so when you hit a linedef doors in a dummy sector will open and the monster should scroll with a scrolling texture to a teleporting linedef. But they wont scroll. Why?

 

I assume you're using Boom.

 

Your monsters teleport if they cross the line, so that works. And it sounds like your door opens when you walk across the triggering linedef. And it sounds like your floor scrolls, so you've defined the control linedef properly (assuming your floor is scrolling in the direction you want it). You're 90% of the way there, because it sounds like the only thing that's happening is the things you put on the scrolling floor aren't being carried along with the floor as it moves.

 

It sounds like your problem is the type of scrolling feature--it sounds like it isn't one that carries things on the floor along with it. Personally, I like to use Type 253 for scrolling floors, which does carry things along with it.

 

Try setting up your scrolling teleport monster closet like this.

  1. Draw your sector with a monster at one. Define one of the linedefs as your control linedef and give it Tag 1 and Type 253. The control linedef must be pointing in the direction that you want the floor to scroll, and should be a multiple of 32 units long (e.g., 32, 64, 96) so that it will behave the same in different ports.
  2. Select the sector that you want to scroll and give it Tag 1. Multiple sectors can be tagged with Tag 1, so make sure to tag sectors on either side of the teleport linedef with Tag 1.
  3. Your door will not scroll, but it should be narrow enough that that won't matter. But, for completeness, define another linedef to be another control linedef with the same length as the first. Give it Tag 2 and Type 253.
  4. Select the door sector and give it Tag 2.

Your monsters should scroll and teleport just fine this way.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 minute ago, Pegleg said:

 

I assume you're using Boom.

 

Your monsters teleport if they cross the line, so that works. And it sounds like your door opens when you walk across the triggering linedef. And it sounds like your floor scrolls, so you've defined the control linedef properly (assuming your floor is scrolling in the direction you want it). You're 90% of the way there, because it sounds like the only thing that's happening is the things you put on the scrolling floor aren't being carried along with the floor as it moves.

 

It sounds like your problem is the type of scrolling feature--it sounds like it isn't one that carries things on the floor along with it. Personally, I like to use Type 253 for scrolling floors, which does carry things along with it.

 

Try setting up your scrolling teleport monster closet like this.

  1. Draw your sector with a monster at one. Define one of the linedefs as your control linedef and give it Tag 1 and Type 253. The control linedef must be pointing in the direction that you want the floor to scroll, and should be a multiple of 32 units long (e.g., 32, 64, 96) so that it will behave the same in different ports.
  2. Select the sector that you want to scroll and give it Tag 1. Multiple sectors can be tagged with Tag 1, so make sure to tag sectors on either side of the teleport linedef with Tag 1.
  3. Your door will not scroll, but it should be narrow enough that that won't matter. But, for completeness, define another linedef to be another control linedef with the same length as the first. Give it Tag 2 and Type 253.
  4. Select the door sector and give it Tag 2.

Your monsters should scroll and teleport just fine this way.

right off the bat no im not using boom im using gzdoom

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
22 minutes ago, Tuckymonster said:

right off the bat no im not using boom im using gzdoom

 

Never mind then. Sorry to bother you. To me, the description sounded like Boom. Regardless, I suggest you edit your post to include the format you're mapping in so people don't make the same mistake I did. I'm sure you will find someone able to help you, though.

 

Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

So we're clear: Boom here means the level format (also sometimes called MBF, there's technically a difference, but they're largely interchanged). GZDoom has it's own level format, UDMF. There's also the plain vanilla Doom1/2 format too, but they don't allow anything fancy like scrolling floors.

 

As for your actual question: Make sure you're using the line type / tag to carry things/objects and not simply to scroll the texture.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 2/10/2020 at 9:32 PM, Gradius said:

So we're clear: Boom here means the level format (also sometimes called MBF, there's technically a difference, but they're largely interchanged). GZDoom has it's own level format, UDMF. There's also the plain vanilla Doom1/2 format too, but they don't allow anything fancy like scrolling floors.

 

As for your actual question: Make sure you're using the line type / tag to carry things/objects and not simply to scroll the texture.

how to i make it move things?

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

When you use the Scroll_Floor action, where it says "Scroll: 0," there is an arrow tooltip. Click that and set it. Set other options as appropriate.


Overall, improve at presenting your problems. No one should have to assume what format you're working in -- the OP should say that. People should be aware of what you tried. If words aren't your strong suit, take screenshots. 

 

I glanced through your threads and that is a pattern. Respondents are consistently stumped. Put effort into your queries.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×