Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Black Void

Total Inspiration

I was sitting here, typing to people on my computer when I realized: "I really need to start something fresh on doom, something creative, something - that is just a little more complex." So I began searching the archives. I remembered about the "Themes" folder and walked right into the Team TNT domain. It was then that I realized I had never played any of their deathmatch megawads - so I began downloading them, for suprisingly, my first time (throughout my 6 years of dooming, I never bothered because I don't play deathmatch.) Those levels, espicially, "Grievence" and "Reclamation" inspired me so much! I now feel so alive with creative ideas! Thanks Team TNT!

Now that all that foolishness is over with, let's try this again...

Usually, what inspires me isn't so much entire episodes or even maps, but sometimes there might be a room made in such a way that really bring out the imagination. Now, obviously I can't copy that room's architecture and place it in my own map. Instead, I sort of emulate that theme in a certain portion of my map. Even the original iwad maps can do that sometimes.

I play other games for inspiration. Every-once-in-a-while, I'll make a quake map to get them creative juices flowing for Doom.

I've had my chance, and now will go back to sleep. :P

Ah, the thoughts have raced through my mind so well that now my community chest level is coming to completion. Thank you CadMan, had it not been for your team, I might have been sitting here biting my nails thinking of what to do.

Black Void said:

Those levels, espicially, "Grievence" and "Reclamation" inspired me so much! I now feel so alive with creative ideas! Thanks Team TNT!

Don't miss tntblood.wad...some of those maps are clever and even work pretty well with zdoom's cajun bots. See map02, the bots seem to like that one. Also see map11, the red barn. :)

See gothicdm too, starting with map01, it contains some of the best-looking work. Map02, the gray castle, is so well done for a small map.

Heh, I get inspired all the time by both real world and in-game stuff. The problem is I'm too lazy to actually carry out my idea and turn it into a level. :P

real life buildings are the shit :) there's this tall church tower on the way to my highschool, i always look up to it and try to imagine what it looks inside, and how could i make it in doom's very limited 3d engine.

and the architecture in my school, oh boy don't get me started... thanks to the stuff at my school, i'll propably start making my own textures when i have enough energy to format my hd and install a better os than this crappy almost-alpha '95 ;)