Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doom_marine666

What is your most hated demon in Doom?

This question seems to pop up periodically. Fair enough:

None. Sure, some of them really piss me off sometimes, but they all serve their purpose in the bestiary. It all comes down to how you use them.

For me it would have to be the Lost Souls. They get in your way and take way too long to kill. For Doom 2 then by extension it would have to be the Pain Elementals. Spawning more Lost Souls as an attack is annoying, and then they spawn more lost souls when they die.

Mine is the Archvile, its very annoying.
It resurrects other demons, but hey, at least it doesn't resurrect cyber demons.
On the bright side, these suckers are rare.
(BTW, it can be from doom 2 aswell.)

arch.gif

Mancubi. Don't know why more people don't talk about these guys but to me they're incredibly annoying. I've never finished a fight and went "oh wow, those mancubi where really fun to fight!" But I HAVE said that for enemies like archviles, chaingunners, and revs, monsters that a lot of people hate.

Pain elemental. At best, they're a priority target that steals my focus for a couple of seconds; at worst, they've littered the arena with lost souls that are going to complicate things or drain my ammo resources.

At least chaingunners die in a rocket blast without making that a die-roll.

yeah i hate archviles aswell, they are so threatening that everyone is forced to kill them as quickly as possible. and they don't go down easily.

Arch-vile. I hate and love him at the same time. He is a tough enemy, but also one of the coolest enemies ever, imo.

22 minutes ago, noshutdown said:

yeah i hate archviles aswell, they are so threatening that everyone is forced to kill them as quickly as possible. and they don't go down easily.

isn't that why mappers use them though?

i honestly think that the archvile is one of the best enemies, if you use him right...

14 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

The Walldemon, of course.

The wall demon (Icon of Sin) Isn't really a demon, it's basically a texture on the wall, shooting its exposed brain will kill something that's inside (John Romero's head)
But hey, it is just my opinion.

8 minutes ago, twistedhydrgoen said:

The wall demon (Icon of Sin) Isn't really a demon, it's basically a texture on the wall, shooting its exposed brain will kill something that's inside (John Romero's head)
But hey, it is just my opinion.

That's why I hate it! :D

Icon of Sin of course. A terrible boss of an otherwise awesome game.

Among the regular ones, I'll say the Baron of Hell. Ok, well I don't hate it but I fell that it is redundant. Anything a baron can do, 2 Hellknights can do better.

Pain Elementals, because fucking lost souls are a pain in the ass to kill and it takes like 5 seconds of existing for a pain Elementals to produce a bazillion lost souls all chasing your ass down and getting in your way.

Apart from the IoS, Lost Souls.

One is a stationary wall, the other is a moving wall...

For a proper answer, I'll go into the extended R667 cast. Monsters with self-destructive offense, namely suicide bombers, have ended up getting my goat in looser community projects: 

- Nearly everyone wants to at least experiment with them.

- Nearly everyone ends up using them in similar ways (like right behind a corner or crate, in "gotcha" moments), which wears thin over a mapset.

- Irregularities in teleport closet design can bring out their faults (like a trap delayed by a second or two because of an airy closet, so you happen to walk right to the spot where one warps in). 

- Organizer oversight plays a minimal role in loose CPs, so these recurrences aren't discouraged. 

skillsaw's Valiant showed how to use them excellently in the general case: 

- They aren't in every map -- in fact, far from it. 

- Rather than appearing in ones and twos all over the place, they are generally confined to specific set pieces.

- When they are used as "gotchas," it's a couple times at most in a map, not in every tight area.

- When they can be encountered even theoretically, you are insulated by distance to allow reaction, extinguishing the possibility of moments like "I'll duck behind this crate. Boom! There was a bomber already there." 

That is logical because Valiant is a fast-paced run 'n' gun set, which didn't want to encourage the player to corner creep. The more slow-boiled, horror-oriented Nihility exercised similar restraint, however. 

Edited by rdwpa

Lost souls, for not even counting in the amount of kills in the level.

Also PE, for creating lost souls.

Edited by unerxai

The wall texture that can speak. If a bunch of 256x1 sectors don't count as a demon, then probably lost souls. I can't count that amount of times that I've been at <10% health and one of them has bull-charged me from behind.

4056343-lost_souls-doom.png

I really like lost souls but I hate pain elementals. I feel like they forgot how you're supposed to defeat lost souls when they made it because now you have to use different weapons to do it.

Lost Souls definitely.

Those bastards should take 1 regular shotgun shot to explode. Wasting twice the shotgun shells just for them seems a bit unfair sometimes.

Also very annoying.

9 minutes ago, SirJuicyLemon said:

Lost Souls definitely.

Those bastards should take 1 regular shotgun shot to explode

yeah you'd think a floating piece of bone would explode in one shot