Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doom_marine666

What is your most hated demon in Doom?

maybe even idgames. except im pretty certain someone's gonna review it seriously and make me look like a bad mapper.

I hate Lost Souls. So damn annoying!
Dont mind the PE though, since it acctually gives me a little kick when I encounter them: "Shit, gotta kill them fast!"

Also the Spider Mastermind really is too weak, but I dont HATE it.

40oz said:

maybe even idgames. except im pretty certain someone's gonna review it seriously and make me look like a bad mapper.

You could write the history of the joke, but moron reviewers never read the textfiles when they need to. I'll host it if you really want :P

40oz said:
im pretty certain someone's gonna review it seriously and make me look like a bad mapper.

They'll probably pay for it in the comments thread.

I'm gonna say chaingunners annoy me the most. Yeah, there are other monsters that can be more difficult, but here's my issue - they're basically the snipers of Doom. They can pummel you at quite a distance, the fact that the chaingun is a hitscan weapon makes it difficult to dodge, and you don't even always see where they are before you die.

So it's not really just the lethality, it's the number of cheap kills they seem to get on me that bugs me. Too many times I've died just trying to figure out where he is, or because I didn't have a weapon that could take him out quickly enough at long range. Basically just, they seem to be one of the most likely monsters to be in a spot where they can kill you but you can't kill them.

Diabloist is a modified arch vile
because he can burn you with a flesh of flames!!!
ohhh dude this one is a disaster

recently ive started to hate spectres. especially in dark room. its annoying when you think that you cleared out a room then get eaten by a spectre or two that you couldnt see.

Specters as well. certainly with a few of the darker levels I made and tested...

Yea that sounds good lets make the room DARK AS HECK and add 10 specters on HMP and add a extra five per UV and Nightmare..10 minutes later...Oh my god why the hell did i do that again?

Heh Spectres are great ones IMO, a unique monster that gives a good balance to the gameplay.

I loathe lost souls though.

Lost Souls are a pain in the ass, especially at the end of map 3-2. They waste a lot of your ammo, and really do a lot of damage if they trap you in a corner with no way out.

I also hate the Revenant. It always spooks the shit out of me when I round a corner only to end up the huge skeleton in my face, then a missile chasing me around.

I always fear the Pain Elemental when ammo/ health is low, or it is in close quarters.

What about favorites? Fighting the Cyber Demon got me hooked on Doom.

Jeremy said:

I always fear the Pain Elemental when ammo/ health is low, or it is in close quarters.

Actually, close quarters is the best way to fight them. The Pain Elemental only spawns Lost Souls if there is enough room for the engine to place the new Thing. If there's another Thing in the way (for example, you) there is nowhere to spawn the new Lost Soul and the PE is rendered harmless for you to punch/chainsaw to death at your leisure.

Would you really hate the Lost Souls if it weren't for the Pain Elemental? It's a fine enemy, but when produced in mass and they cover all the screen they sure are a nuisance, specially when they decide to somehow multihit combo you.

Talvi said:

Would you really hate the Lost Souls if it weren't for the Pain Elemental? It's a fine enemy, but when produced in mass and they cover all the screen they sure are a nuisance, specially when they decide to somehow multihit combo you.

I don't find a horded amount of Lost Souls annoying, with the given level and area layout, they are a perfect get away, distract bigger monsters and walk away with a few dents.

Talvi said:

Would you really hate the Lost Souls if it weren't for the Pain Elemental?

Probably not as much. I like traps where LS are stored in a passage above the player and float down after you've passed or as you're busy with other stuff. They're good in an area where they can cause alot of infighting, and in large large areas you're rewarded with dodging them by having them fly off into the distance and become irrelevant for a few seconds or more.

I have actually been hating Arachnotrons and Chaingunners alot lately. Goddamnit stop firing at me until I either break your attack or get out of sight!

Super Jamie said:

I have actually been hating Arachnotrons and Chaingunners alot lately. Goddamnit stop firing at me until I either break your attack or get out of sight!

Haha, yeah I forgot how annoying Arachnotrons can be if youve nowhere to run, or happen to pop up right infront of you.

Snakes said:

Part of me wants to say that I hate imps. Over the years of seeing thousands of those things, seeing one is almost like having a, "Not again!" feeling. Yet, I can't bring myself to dismiss their usefulness in early levels, so I'll let it slide.

You know it's sacrilege to say that on an open forum, right? You really shouldn't make such opinions public.... I'm just saying.

I guess I should contribute something of value to my post. The only flawed monster in Doom that I can think of is the Spider Mastermind's low hitpoints. As the final boss in Doom he should be the toughest, yet I routinely dispatch him with lower weapons. I rarely take out a cyb with an ssg. It'd be cool if the spider mastermind ran as fast as arch viles! :D

The only enemy in Doom that really gets in the way for me is Arch-Vile. The main reason is because he can get you from any distance, even in tight spots. You need more luck to beat him that both wits and a killer instinct.

Typically I can't say I hate any monster. If any monster can kill me in any unfair scenario, the map is to blame, not the monster.

I am a Doom monster... And I hate myself *slashes wrists*.

I'm going with shotgun guys because they love to shoot me while I'm reloading my shotguns.

I love 'em. They're automatic ammo refuelers. And quite often you find them packed together in large group, in the loving company of some explosive barrels. Yum!

alando1 said:

You need more luck to beat him that both wits and a killer instinct.

You're doing it wrong. With archies you need much more wits and killer instinct than with any other monsters. Of course if you happen to lack those it might feel like archies are a luck-based monster. :P

Hordes of lost souls are great. They'll just end up killing each other while you sit in a safe corner or run in circles.

I'm going with shotgun guys because you miss them and then when you're reloading BAM 30hp gone. And there's so damn MANY of them

Gez said:

I love 'em. They're automatic ammo refuelers. And quite often you find them packed together in large group, in the loving company of some explosive barrels. Yum!

Modern maps tend not to put barrels near a truck load of shotgun zombies unfortunately.

Jodwin said:

You're doing it wrong. With archies you need much more wits and killer instinct than with any other monsters. Of course if you happen to lack those it might feel like archies are a luck-based monster. :P

[nitpicking]

It's better to tell the whole story here. In general, as soon as you spot a lonely archvile the best thing to do is to take cover, attack once, cover, rinse and repeat.

If however there's more than one archie at once, there's not adequate cover, the place is swarming with other monsters, and/or time is essential and you need to take him down FAST, then a full-frontal attack may be preferable.

The problem here is that you don't want to go tit per tat with the archivile: if it has already started attacking you, you'd better have an attack that can cancel his (which is the hardest thing to do).

Therefore, your options are much more limited for what regards weapons: the only ones that can take it down fast while minimizing the chances of retaliation are, in decreasing order:

• A full-frontal BFG blast at point blank. That's the only weapon that can kill an archvile in one hit, assuming most of the tracers connect. Even that one sometimes fails canceling attacks though.
  • A quick volley of 5 rockets, as the average is 3.72 direct hits. Same considerations as the BFG, but even harder, considering that you must land all perfect hits on a moving target and/or with flames rising in your face, without coming too close, but not standing too far either. If the travel time is too high or the average damage is too low and no attack cancel occurs, the archie will get you if it is in top health. It's hit or miss.
  • Plasma gun, if you manage to get a good headstart (attacking before the archie does) and keep a continuous stream of about 40 plasma balls. If it already has started attacking and is undamaged though, there's a chance that it will get you first especially if the projectyle travel time is too long. Also pretty much hit or miss.
  • Super Shotgun. I know it's Jodwin's favourite :-p In theory, you should be able to take down an archie frontally with it in 4-5 hits, with a 2/3 chance of an attack cancel. That's pretty much the only weapon that allows you to fuck around with archies head-to-head, but even with that one there's a 1/3 chance that they will eventually get back at you even if you do everything else by the book.
[/nitpicking]

So, after all, fighting an archvile can either be slow, painstaking and methodical (the wits), or brutal and dependant on luck, to some extent. Sometimes both.

If you have plenty of cover and room to retreat, or can snipe it safely away, then its wits. If you insted are pitted frontally against one inside a trap...then it's luck (or a BFG).

Maes said:

stuff

The reason you do need "killing instinct" for fighting archies is that they're the first monster you should always concentrate on (unless there's a conveniently placed cyber to get the archie infighting). Fighting them slowly is the worst way to go unless they're fully alone (including no corpses lying around), which is very rare. You just need to evaluate the situation ASAP and rush the archie in any way possible. Of course if you aren't that good at keeping the area layout and monster positions in mind and aren't that good with evaluating things it'll come down more luck based, but that's only because you're less skilled. ;) The safer sniping methods are actually less based on wits since you have more time to choose what to do rather than having to make good decisions quickly.

Also, plasma is often better than the ssg for swarming archies because getting to cancel their attack just once is enough to guarantee a kill without getting hit. And if you're using rockets against a freely running archie...heh.