Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

Change your map name! (Quick Video Tutorial)

Great tutorial.  I may add that PRBoom+ also will read the dehacked in the wad file just like Zdoom ports will.  Also, if you are making a Boom format wad you can use bex dehacked to remove the character limit for map names :)

7 hours ago, Doomkid said:

For people aiming for ZDoom-only

(sighs) k8vavoom supports... oh, you know the rest. ;-)

Aha, so I simply create the texture and name it like the lump instead of importing it as a new one on the same entry? 

I've done everything as in the video, and this happens:

Spoiler

447026533_crispy-doom2020-02-1320-20-44-22.jpg.5d730b2341aa16e1bfea321b942a04bd.jpg

I'd be very grateful if anyone could provide some help.

EDIT: Someone told me to use doom2.wad as Base Resource in SLADE before converting the texture, which actually worked out. It looks fine now.

Edited by Alaux

I know @Phob0s Got Hurt Plenty was having trouble with this same error. Maybe setting his base resource as doom2.wad will fix it.

I think my problem was leaving it as existing/global in my tutorial video, which will only be appropriate if doom2.wad has already been set as the base resource.

17 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I know @Phob0s Got Hurt Plenty was having trouble with this same error. Maybe setting his base resource as doom2.wad will fix it.

I think my problem was leaving it as existing/global in my tutorial video, which will only be appropriate if doom2.wad has already been set as the base resource.

Base resource? Is that the same as IWAD? Or is it something completely different?

3 minutes ago, Phob0s Got Hurt Plenty said:

Base resource? Is that the same as IWAD? Or is it something completely different?

In SLADE, go to "Edit" at the top left, then click "Set Base Resource Archive". You want to select your Doom2 IWAD here. After doing this, importing the map name graphic and converting it should result in proper colors.

Alaux: Looks to me like the image is not properly indexed to the right palette order. What program where you using to save out the image for the mapname?

Whatever you use it should be able to handle indexed 8 bit graphics and you should make sure it used the actual palette Doom uses.

Edit: Ah, just saw the problem was solved.

I'm trying to rename every map of doom 2 for a map pack. I created a dehacked file with every new name and the bitmaps. I shoved everything (bitmaps and dehacked) into the wad file but the game keeps showing me the original names. I converted every single bitmap into graphic doom and renamed the dehacked file as showed in the video.

Am I missing something? Is there a different way to operate with megawads? 

On 4/4/2020 at 9:37 AM, Za_World said:

I'm trying to rename every map of doom 2 for a map pack. I created a dehacked file with every new name and the bitmaps. I shoved everything (bitmaps and dehacked) into the wad file but the game keeps showing me the original names. I converted every single bitmap into graphic doom and renamed the dehacked file as showed in the video.

Am I missing something? Is there a different way to operate with megawads? 

Sorry for the late response - did you ever get that fixed? If you'd like to upload the wad I can take a look and see why it's doing that.

It is the case that there is a limit in how long you can have the name be in the automap, which can vary depending on if you're using standard vanilla dehacked or boom dehacked. In vanilla dehacked you'll need to sacrifice some characters of other pieces of text, while both vanilla and boom dehacked are at most restricted by the amount of characters that can be displayed in a single row.

On the intermission screen, however, the map name can be however long you want! I know some mapsets go around whatever automap name limit by shortening the names on the automap and displaying the full thing on the intermission screen.

I replaced lines 692 693 and 694, which were formerly known as "Entryway" "The Underhalls" and "The Gantlet" with "1.Bad Reception" "2.Crate Expectations" and "3.Checkpoint Charon" and nothing changed on minimap. Am I stupid?

I saved them ad deh, with file name matching the wad. I tried loading just wad, I tried loading wad and deh in the same argument, I tried bundling the deh with the wad, no effect.

Edit: Nevermind, I am dumb as hell, I forgot to rename the lump. Nice to know crispy can swallow it too.