Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Phob0s Got Hurt Plenty

How do I end an episode?

Question

(This is a follow up to a question I asked earlier)

Now that I've figured out how to split Doom 2 into episodes, I found myself a little stuck, once completing the final level of an episode, it brings you right to the next, no placeholder intermission text, it doesn't even boot you back to the title screen, does anybody know how to wrap up an episode, intermission text followed by the title screen? Better yet a custom image?

4 answers to this question

In your mapinfo lump, where you define the “next” map, instead of entering a map name, you can use a variety of different commands to end the episode:

you can also use one of the following directives in place of the lump name to indicate that ZDoom should end the game instead of continuing to another level. Valid names are:

EndPic <lump> = Displays the specified lump as an image. This method should be used instead of the next four.

EndGame1 = Displays the credit picture used after Doom episode 1 and Heretic episodes 1 and 5

EndGame2 = Displays the picture used after Doom episode 2, or the credits screen for Doom 2

EndGameW = Displays the picture used after Heretic episode 2

EndGame4 = Displays the picture used after Doom and Heretic episode 4

EndGameC = Rolls the cast finale for Doom II

EndGame3 = The horizontal scroller (right to left) after Doom episode 3.

EndPic is the simplest one to use since you can end with an image which has any name, but as long as you include the appropriate graphics, everything will work fine (for example, EndGame3 will be looking for the “rabbit head on a pike” image, so it can be included and edited however you wish if that’s how you want the episode to end).

On 2/12/2020 at 11:35 PM, Doomkid said:

In your mapinfo lump, where you define the “next” map, instead of entering a map name, you can use a variety of different commands to end the episode:

EndPic is the simplest one to use since you can end with an image which has any name, but as long as you include the appropriate graphics, everything will work fine (for example, EndGame3 will be looking for the “rabbit head on a pike” image, so it can be included and edited however you wish if that’s how you want the episode to end).

This is my mapinfo script.

clearepisodes

episode MAP01
{
    name = "I Call Shotgun!"
    key = "1"
}
episode MAP09
{
    name = "Begone Vile.. Things!"
    key = "2"
}
episode MAP17
{
    name = "Home Sweet Home."
    key = "3"
}
episode MAP25
{
    name = "That Cant Be Good.."
    key = "4"
}

I dont really know how to define the next map, or select a map, which leaves me at a dead end.

9 hours ago, Phob0s Got Hurt Plenty said:

I dont really know how to define the next map, or select a map, which leaves me at a dead end.

MAPINFO is a collection of definitions for a map.

To learn how to use them I suggest that you open an existing map

and investigate how Z/MAPINFO is set up.

For example, open Eviternity with Slade3 and check ZMAPINFO.