Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
instagib

best doom 2 mod

Just now, maxkinG said:

Brutal doom v21 or maybe maybe project brutality (this is my first post of doomworld)😀

its nice that this is your first post and yeah I kinda agree

1 minute ago, zaszthedestroyer said:

I am a big fan of maps of choas, personally. 

But some close ups:

Karnack

Trailblazer

Guncaster

Samsara 

I'm sure there's more... 

trailblazer samsara and guncaster i love but I've never tried karnack

The term "best" is very subjective.

Objectively though, Brutal Doom is not the best for sure.

Edited by TheNoob_Gamer

20 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

true yet since the mod is so popular everyone sorta gravitates towards it and never tries any other mod making them think it is the best

I don't think something can objectively be the best or not the best, even if everyone agreed on which subjective metric best is being based on. I don't think Brutal Doom is the best for me but I could definitely see an argument for it. There's of course a reason why it got so much attention and it does offer some things I've never seen done exactly the same in other mods so it makes sense for it to be many's favorite. 

What are we using for the term Doom mod? Do maps count or is this only a discussion about gameplay or cosmetic changes? I think it's pretty hard to compare even just those.

For cosmetics, if I had to pick just one standalone I'd probably say SmoothDoom is my favorite. I can't pick a single gameplay mod because I think they all offer pretty different experiences from vanilla Doom, but I like Hearts of Demons - Baron, GMOTA, Lt. Typhon and Doom Delta all quite a bit. 

24 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

1 minute ago, Lyn said:

I don't think something can objectively be the best or not the best, even if everyone agreed on which subjective metric best is being based on. I don't think Brutal Doom is the best for me but I could definitely see an argument for it. There's of course a reason why it got so much attention and it does offer some things I've never seen done exactly the same in other mods so it makes sense for it to be many's favorite. 

What are we using for Doom mod? Do maps count or is this only a discussion about gameplay or cosmetic changes? It's pretty hard to compare even just those.

For cosmetics, if I had to pick just one standalone I'd probably say SmoothDoom is my favorite. I can't pick a single gameplay mod because I think they all offer pretty different experiences from vanilla Doom, but I like Hearts of Demons - Baron, GMOTA, Lt. Typhon and Doom Delta all quite a bit. 

Now I know not everybody thinks it's the best but most of the time when they talk about "The best Doom mods or maps" Brutal Doom usually is at a high tier.

2 minutes ago, Lyn said:

What are we using for Doom mod? Do maps count or is this only a discussion about gameplay or cosmetic changes? It's pretty hard to compare even just those.

I really agree with you but I just want to see everybodys opinion on any mod in general. I really want to see the mod that you have played the most and or have been playing recently. on another note I really love this topic because it can mean many things to many different people you have all the freedom with a single sentence if you know what I mean

By far the greatest Doom Mod to ever grace the game, adding a whole new level of challenge to the game.

In all seriousness, I think knee deep in ZDoom is my favorite mod/wad that I've personally played. Winter's Fury and Zen Dynamics are pretty good too.

1 hour ago, nelguy said:

<Standalone Brutal Doom opinion post>

Nowadays people always refer to Project Brutality or something along the lines though.

As for the OP, I don't know if you are referring to gameplay mods or all kinds of Doom mods (and maps) in general, so I will list 3 of each here.
All based on my personal experience and research. No particular rankings for each category.

• Traditional megawads / Partial Conversions
  1. Eviternity
  2. Valiant
  3. Back to Saturn X series

• Gameplay/ QOL / cosmetic mods (including 4 because I suck)
  1. GMOTA
  2. Hideous Destructor / The Soldier Z
  3. Smooth Doom and its derivatives
  4. MetaDoom

• Total Conversions
  1. REKKR
  2. Winter's Fury
  3. The Golden Souls series

I could dig deeper but that's it for now.

Edited by TheNoob_Gamer

I haven’t played any of them, except SmoothDoom which I absolutely love,

but I think they’re good ones

Just now, nelguy said:

I haven’t played any of them, except SmoothDoom which I absolutely love,

but I think they’re good ones

I recommend you to just touch into the "traditional megawads" category for the graphics and overall level design alone. Very worth playing.

But I think my favorite mods (at the moment) are Duke it out in Doom, Total Chaos, Re-Blood and SmoothDoom. Mainly because of their quality, but the winner winner in my opinion is Total Chaos.

Edited by nelguy

My favorite gameplay mod I’ve ever played is certainly MetaDoom by Kinsie. It’s actually what first got me back into Doom a few years back.

My favorite megawad I’ve played - which is admittedly still pretty limited - is D64D2. Had an absolute blast playing through it.

And I don’t know if this really counts or not but the Plutonia Midi Pack really added a new dimension to Plutonia for me and I can’t overstate how much I like it.

Upon reading this thread's thoughts on bd and it's popularity i thought to myself "really...How the fuck did booty doom get so popular with the mainstream?" and i just as quickly found the answer: Retarded doom comic memes

1 hour ago, doomsucksass said:

Upon reading this thread's thoughts on bd and it's popularity i thought to myself "really...How the fuck did booty doom get so popular with the mainstream?" and i just as quickly found the answer: Retarded doom comic memes

That is pretty much true but the comic used to be kinda cool but then BD came into existence and fucked it all up, also brutal doom and PB are the main reasons why i don't really like the pk3 format anymore.

6 minutes ago, DRMman said:

why i don't really like the pk3 format anymore.

Just a little reminder: PK3s originated from Quake 3.

Compressed game data file used by games based on the Quake III engine (id Tech 3)

so it is a little unfair to dislike them.

Complex Doom is still the best for me. It still feels alot like Classic Doom but evolved to be more modern arcadey experience. Only real problem with it is the fact that the enemy variants are randomly spawned so balance can be all over the place sometimes, but that can be also fun at times because everytime you play, things can be different. Complex Doom is also very playable without freelook so that's another reason to love it.

Supercharge is pretty fun too, much simpler than Complex Doom but also more fair to the player.

Smooth Doom is very good, I love mods that don't change the base gameplay too much.

But noone mentioned Final Doomer+ ? Seriously? Also, Dead Marine is cool.