Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RemoveUwU

How to make a vanilla compatible map?

Question

I'm not really sure about how to describe this, so I couldn't find anything related or similar.

Here's my problem, I've been making some maps, using textures from Plutonia as well as some new ones. The thing is, the map looks perfectly fine in GZDoom, Zandronum, and probably any other ZDoom based port. But it looks weird on, say, Crispy Doom.

These are the configurations I use for the .wad in DoomBuilder

imagen.png.5bdfead28d3fa7df5f5b43c6515baceb.png

This is how it's supposed to look, and how it looks in GZDoom

Screenshot_Doom_20200213_155128.png.ebf64d408c6d9095be63a114bc4ca50d.png

And here it is in Crispy Doom

imagen.png.e13b8f802111d3e7dc4424573a46b401.png

Does it have something to do with all those ripped off textures, or something? The map doesn't have anything that may use any of GZDoom's characteristics so I don't see why shouldn't it be played on Crispy or any other port. Thanks in advance

3 answers to this question

What you are experimenting is missing textures in the wad.
You have to add the plutoniatextures.wad along the wad you made for them to appeard.

If you use a .bat file, it should look like this:

start crispydoom -merge YOUR.wad plutoniatextures.wad

Try that! if it is loaded correctly, the textures have to appeard on screen as you play

Aside from that, for making a vanilla compatible map, you only need to select to map in Doom2 format (for Doom 2) or Doom (for U.Doom). This way you will be able to make a map that chocolate doom and crispy doom could play.
If you want to make a map compatible with the original Doom 2 in Dosbox, try this:
https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Chocorenderlimits
This is a program that help mappers made their vanilla compatible Doom maps.

Edited by P41R47

2 hours ago, P41R47 said:

What you are experimenting is missing textures in the wad.
You have to add the plutoniatextures.wad along the wad you made for them to appeard.

If you use a .bat file, it should look like this:

start crispydoom -merge YOUR.wad plutoniatextures.wad

Try that! if it is loaded correctly, the textures have to appeard on screen as you play

Aside from that, for making a vanilla compatible map, you only need to select to map in Doom2 format (for Doom 2) or Doom (for U.Doom). This way you will be able to make a map that chocolate doom and crispy doom could play.
If you want to make a map compatible with the original Doom 2 in Dosbox, try this:
https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Chocorenderlimits
This is a program that help mappers made their vanilla compatible Doom maps.

I already merged them in Slade, that's why the textures load in GZDoom without needing a .BAT or something

Tried with the .bat for Crispy tho, didn't work :(

Thanks for your answer, anyway

34 minutes ago, RemoveUwU said:

I already merged them in Slade

-merge is a different thing, since it simulates merging with the IWAD (which was needed in vanilla due to oversights in how the loading code works).

The problem probably comes from your PNAMES lump. These things are really fiddly.

Basically, you want to copy the PNAMES from your IWAD, and then add more patches to it. You can probably do that in SLADE, though.

1. Create a new wad (important! don't edit your old wad)
  2. Copy the PNAMES and TEXTURE1 lumps from doom2.wad.
  3. Open the texture editor for your new wad AND your plutoniatextures.wad.
  4. Copy the textures from your plutoniatextures's texture editor tab to your new wad's texture editor tab.
  5. Close the texture editor, and save when prompted.
  6. Check that the plutonia patches have been copied automatically and are in your new wad too now.
  7. Save and quit.
  8. Rename plutoniatextures.wad into backupplutoniatextures.wad, and your new wad to plutoniatextures.wad.
  9. Textures should work in vanilla now!