Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Taurus Daggerknight

Family picture?

Not sure if this was already posted, but over on the official Doom Eternal Forum, someone spotted this here little tidbit from the Fortress of Doom. 

What does everyone make of it?

Screenshot 2020-02-13 15.55.42.png

Saw it on reddit. General consensus is that was the Slayer’s family and he tore his own face off the picture. Probably couldn’t save them from something and felt guilty.

Just a guess, but maybe Daisy the Rabbit makes more sense if it belonged to his kid but stayed alive and Doomguy took care of it. Obvious generic John Wick plot but it probably make more sense that way if Daisy is indeed part of the actual canon.

Edited by oCrapaCreeper

Honestly, not super jazzed if this IS part of his backstory, as so many adult male protagonists, especially in video games, have the same exact backstory. I mean, either way, I'm picking up the game, but if his backstory is that he lost his family to the demons, I'm gonna be kind of disappointed.

10 minutes ago, Egg Boy said:

Honestly, not super jazzed if this IS part of his backstory, as so many adult male protagonists, especially in video games, have the same exact backstory. I mean, either way, I'm picking up the game, but if his backstory is that he lost his family to the demons, I'm gonna be kind of disappointed.

Well, considering his back story previously was he lost his rabbit to demons instead, this is probably a step up.

Just now, oCrapaCreeper said:

Well, considering his back story previously was he lost his rabbit to demons instead, this is probably a step up.

Nah, fam. I much prefer it just being his rabbit, mostly because they don't really go into detail, and its mostly a joke. I don't really see how you can make a man's whole family being murdered a joke. This particular backstory wouldn't be engaging or new, especially if the game puts a certain degree of emphasis on it. Perhaps it wont focus on it too much, we'll see come march.

I'm actually a little suspicious of it being -his- family. I mean, if it was...wouldn't he have kept the picture somewhere safer? In that entire personal chamber of stuff meticulously placed, why would something as sacred as the last picture of his family be left battered and torn under the bookshelf, like it was nothing more than packing paper? Hell, even the Daisy painting has a place of honor... 

1 minute ago, Taurus Daggerknight said:

I'm actually a little suspicious of it being -his- family. I mean, if it was...wouldn't he have kept the picture somewhere safer? In that entire personal chamber of stuff meticulously placed, why would something as sacred as the last picture of his family be left battered and torn under the bookshelf, like it was nothing more than packing paper? Hell, even the Daisy painting has a place of honor... 

I mean like I speculated, that face ripped out is probably his. He probably doesn’t like seeing it.

A dev probably just wanted to put his family in the game like how the guys that did Half-Life Blue-shift and Opposing Force put some baby photos into the game

With the amount of fan service they put into the "new" franchise i would love to see Daisy, and Commander Keen with Blazkowicz in the family tree.

I 100% agree with Egg Boy that a “the demons killed my family” backstory would be the most trite, overdone shit ever. I really, really hope they don’t go with that.

Daisy is a billion times more unique and always has been, the thought that his only worldly attachment is a rabbit is so oddly pure in a sense, aside from being much more original.

If it ends up being the case that his family was already dead well before the start of Doom1 or something, or maybe even that they were still alive but he just had to make the choice to leave them behind to stay in Hell and keep the demons at bay, even that would be a lot less lame and predictable.

Maybe we’ll get no insights at all and it will be left completely up to theorising. I could also accept that!

Maybe it's the Doom slayer and his mom. The dad is out of the picture due to an affair and he grew up resenting him and that's why he's so angry all the time, and he doesn't speak much because he's emotionally stunned and has trust issues.

Spoiler

I-I'm not projecting, you are ; ~;

3 hours ago, Egg Boy said:

Nah, fam. I much prefer it just being his rabbit, mostly because they don't really go into detail, and its mostly a joke. I don't really see how you can make a man's whole family being murdered a joke. This particular backstory wouldn't be engaging or new, especially if the game puts a certain degree of emphasis on it. Perhaps it wont focus on it too much, we'll see come march.

Yeah i agree with this. The original ending with Daisy was sort of a joke. I also don't think Eternal will focus on the Slayers family too much tbh. It's probably just a little easter egg or something but who knows?

On 2/14/2020 at 9:30 AM, D88M3R said:

With the amount of fan service they put into the "new" franchise i would love to see Daisy, and Commander Keen with Blazkowicz in the family tree.

This isnt a "new" franchise though. Doom has been around since the 90s but ofcourse you should have already known thag given how much of a Trv Fan you are.