Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mortrixs19

The Tutorials of Doom Eternal

So far Doom Eternal looks amazing in every aspect of a doom game, the level design, the combat, the weapons, the monsters etc. It also comes with a bunch of new stuff like the new flamethrower, the grenades, the weapon mods and the slayer gates.

Of course, you need to teach the player how to use them properly but I have a gripe with the tutorials.

image.png.6d952ca1c5c5cd239d46cd12ffb35cbb.png

Apparently they seem to stop the player from doing what he or she was doing to teach how some stuff basic works in the game.

I don't like this, because it stops the flow of the game and there's a lot of hand holding too. In my opinion all these tutorial should be done in a more subtle way like in the classic doom games, doom3 and doom 2016. For example:

In Doom 2016 you get a new gun you just spawn a bunch of weak enemies to let the player test it and see how it works.

In Doom Eternal if you pick up a gun, It takes you to a tutorial arena to teach you how to use the gun.

image.png.6738df55fba6c7e64cecf28190afd14f.png

This is, in my opinion, dumb, this is something I don't like and Doom Eternal likes to add a tutorial for all the guns and tools you have.

I feel like the game is treating us like it's our first time playing a video game ever or that we can't think via our instinct. 

''Hmm I have no Idea what the ICE bomb does, maybe it FREEZES enemies, idk'' Tutorials are good for first time players, but I've seen a lot of other games doing tutorials in a less intrusive way and also they appear when a mechanic is really important for the game.

I think I'll also have to clarify this: I know the game isn't out yet and this may change or maybe be gone, and I know that if this stays it may be disabled in the options. But I still think that Interrupting the game to help the player even on some obvious stuff like locked doors or the use of grenades is something a lot of people would dislike if this was in the final release.

Just my opinion, what you guys think?

I agree that the chainsaw tutorial we've seen is too intrusive. I understand the reason however. Based on some accounts I've read about 2016 hopefully there will be an option to turn these off in Eternal. 

forgot which video i saw it in, but there is indeed an option to turn it off. i think with a simple option to turn it off will satisfy most people, the tutorials were on by default in doom 2016 and they slightly stopped action if i remember correctly.

20 minutes ago, rustygizzard said:

the tutorials were on by default in doom 2016 and they slightly stopped action if i remember correctly.

If I remember correctly, the only tutorial in all of doom 2016 was the glory kill tutorial at the begging of the game.

I'm assuming they're doing it like this so they don't have to worry about making "areas designed to teach you mechanics" that interfere with the main levels in a subtle way, so the action in the levels is self contained.

Edited by sluggard

You can turn them off, but they have good reasoning for making them work the way they do. If you don’t master the combat loop then the game is not going to be enjoyable, so it’s important everyone who plays understands what everything does as soon as it’s introduced, because the game will just kill you if you don’t use all your tools and players think it’s the game’s fault.

I mean we had tons of people running around halfway through 2016 without realizing the chainsaw drops ammo. So the tutorial changes are probably a direct responses to those players who just kinda whim by the tutorials because you could get through the game with like 2 weapons antway. Not the case this time around.

Edited by oCrapaCreeper

Yeah I understand the gripe, and I though the same thing when I saw it. It's a little jarring and intrusive how it takes you out of the game, but I assume it was done purposefully. They want newbies to burn the mechanics and gameplay loop into their skulls vs the more subtle approach they took in 2016, where you didn't really have to use all of the resources you had. 

I've heard that the difficulty is steeper, and Hugo says that they don't want anymore Polygon Doom 2016 previews; they want to punish the players that aren't properly engaging in the loop, and they want you to know it's your fault if you die. So yeah while I still believe it's a little intrusive, it's a necessary evil. I'd be surprised if you couldn't toggle it off though, they've been great with the amount of customization options.

Edited by RichHomieBajiQuan

I think it's better to have the more hand-holdy bits occurring within their own space, rather than taking up parts of the game's worlds. Default on with the ability to turn off allows newbies to be explicitly introduced to the mechanics, while seasoned players can enjoy a more seamless experience for the overwhelming majority of the game.

The previous game did the same thing (hand holding), is typical from big budget games to put stuff to appeal to casuals, i dont like it but i dont blame them.

8 hours ago, D88M3R said:

The previous game did the same thing (hand holding), is typical from big budget games to put stuff to appeal to casuals, i dont like it but i dont blame them.

Yeah how dare they try to make more people play their game

Also hand Holding =/= Quality of life improvement.

4 hours ago, TheRedTide said:

For God's sake some of you people need to stop nitpicking every single detail.

I didn't say it's a bad thing lol.

Edited by sluggard