Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nelguy

What is the best Quake source port?

Too bad Engoo and Super8 are discontinued...

By the way, will the final version of Quake 1.5 come out or what? It is based on Darkplaces but it looks better and more consistent than that thing posted above.

I didnt mind the darkplaces video. Looked like quake to me, although some lighting was over the top, like in the nukage.

Then again, I run Doom Expanded on pretty much all wads that can support it, so I kind of dont mind mods that dont change the style of the game

I use Quakespasm. Sometimes Winquake if I don't mind the lack of music.

Is there a source port that supports resolutions like 320x200 or 640x400 on software renderer?

EDIT: Winquake actually does iirc. I played it with 320x200 through Winquake years ago but I was using a retro Win98 computer (RIP) with an old TNT2 card and a CRT. On modern hardware it only supports regular 4:3 resolutions (like 320x240).

Edited by unerxai

4 hours ago, ptoing said:

If you want more atmosphere and visual enhancements play maps that are made for that. Like the Arcane Dimensions mod, which makes use of coloured lighting and coloured fog and such which Quakespasm and Quakespasm-Spiked can provide.

I personally am not a fan of Darkplaces with the replacements and all that stuff. Slapping highres textures an bumpmaps on lowpoly geometry does not work very well, imo.

That's works if all the game it's remade to fit the grafics, a la Black Mesa 

1 hour ago, VGA said:

Too bad Engoo and Super8 are discontinued...

By the way, will the final version of Quake 1.5 come out or what? It is based on Darkplaces but it looks better and more consistent than that thing posted above.

That because it's ussing the HD Texture packs and add ons to the base game, where Quake 1.5 don't really have to use it (or it's compatible).

Yeah, HD texture packs are cancer. Other gfx effects are more consistent with retro geometry and assets. For example, selective dynamic lighting in GZDoom doesn't look bad unless a map is deliberately dark and the mapper relies on dynamic lighting to light it up, then it's ridiculous. Ambient occlusion also looks good. Voxelised items, switches and/or decorations usually look good, too.

54 minutes ago, jamondemarnatural said:

That's works if all the game it's remade to fit the grafics, a la Black Mesa 

The problem of remakes like Black Mesa is that it's made by superfans of the original games, and therefore for superfans, and you get things like the copter fight when the copter takes two dozen rockets to down while it can insta-kill you with its guns.

Black Mesa's AI targetting is all sorts of messed up. It is "autoaiming". I think they are planning an update that overhauls the AI, it will probably affect the helicopter targetting, too.

I've out the game on hold after playing several hours, waiting for the miracle update. 

54 minutes ago, Gez said:

The problem of remakes like Black Mesa is that it's made by superfans of the original games, and therefore for superfans, and you get things like the copter fight when the copter takes two dozen rockets to down while it can insta-kill you with its guns.

That was fixed somewhat in retail halloween update, and will be more tweaked in the A.I Overhaul next update.

That not level of broken as mod helicopter figth, that was messed up bad, but rigth now it's up to 3-5 rockets on your difficulty settings and aiming.

4 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Missing mentions for Tenebrae that brought fancy Doom 3 lighting to Quake years before Doom 3 came around (and Tenebrae 2.) and QBism Super8.

And my personal fave, Engoo. Basically a software rendered take on implementing Darkplaces level features. It looks snazzy.

Woah, never heard of these but they look very interesting.

3 hours ago, unerxai said:

Is there a source port that supports resolutions like 320x200 or 640x400 on software renderer?

MarkV WinQuake scratches that itch for me. If Baker ever returns to the project and adds support for alpha textures and a better water transparency it would be pretty much perfect.

2 hours ago, Gez said:

Since when? Last time I played BM it was fine, up to 5 rockets depending on difficulty. And it's also easy to avoid getting shot too - literally hide behind a wall during the second fight...

1 hour ago, VGA said:

Black Mesa's AI targetting is all sorts of messed up. It is "autoaiming". I think they are planning an update that overhauls the AI, it will probably affect the helicopter targetting, too.

I've out the game on hold after playing several hours, waiting for the miracle update. 

Yeah, AI overhaul after Xen was planned. They also planned on re-doing the animations for NPCs too.

But I never found the AI BS in BM tbh. If anything, I found it lazy and not nearly aggressive enough last time, but that was a few years back.

@seed

Well, yes, the AI is lazy but quickly laser-targets you like an aimbot. But on normal difficulty you have a lot of health and armor, so it simultaneously feels cheap that you get hit AND there is no serious challenge. Amazing they managed to make it feel both cheap AND non-challenging!!

It is a regression from the original game where marines were serious threats and acted in unexpected ways with sudden bursts of movement.

5 hours ago, doomsucksass said:

Why is this in Doom General?

I don't know mate, it was a bad choice of mine.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

1 minute ago, VGA said:

@seed

Well, yes, the AI is lazy but quickly laser-targets you like an aimbot. But on normal difficulty you have a lot of health and armor, so it simultaneously feels cheap that you get hit AND there is no serious challenge. Amazing they managed to make it feel both cheap AND non-challenging!!

It is a regression from the original game where marines were serious threats and acted in unexpected ways with sudden bursts of movement.

I disagree about the OG. In HL1 they were anything but unpredictable. Spot the player? Either rush, cover, or crounch-shooting, and once the player hurts them plenty, drop a grenade and either commit suicide, or run away.

Yea, the AI did its job for sure in HL1, but it was all kinds of weird. BM's could easily surpass it and actually be good, if they do it right. As it currently still is, apparently, it's still underwhelming.

1 minute ago, seed said:

In HL1 they were anything but unpredictable. Spot the player? Either rush, cover, or crounch-shooting, and once the player hurts them plenty, drop a grenade and either commit suicide, or run away.

You make it sound pretty unpredictable, though!!

It's already been mentioned, but MarkV is definitely my personal favorite.

Quake will always be best in software rendering to me. None of the axis-fighting texture clipping problems. Also just richer colors in general.

Quakespasm is the easy number 2, and for certain mods like Arcane Dimensions, definitely number 1.

20 minutes ago, nelguy said:

So I guess the best ones are: Mark V, Quakespasm and Darkplaces.

Pretty much, as Quake sourceports go.

49 minutes ago, seed said:

I disagree about the OG. In HL1 they were anything but unpredictable. Spot the player? Either rush, cover, or crounch-shooting, and once the player hurts them plenty, drop a grenade and either commit suicide, or run away.

Yea, the AI did its job for sure in HL1, but it was all kinds of weird. BM's could easily surpass it and actually be good, if they do it right. As it currently still is, apparently, it's still underwhelming.

Also, the beta for the new AI is rigth now, and now sqauad of marines works as a unit, so the rifles soldiers will make supresing fire and chunk grenades at you when shotgunners or rifles man get try to get close to you, but with a certain distance one of another, it's a good thing instead of all shoting you or rushing you if you hide for 4 seconds.

20 hours ago, seed said:

and with texture mods it looks just insane. Toss such a bad boy in Darkplaces and damn, Quake suddenly feels like it came out in the late 2010s during the renaissance of retro FPSes. Shit that looks so good.

Now that is just ugly.

QuakeSpasm, generally.

MarkV for software renderer (really nice)

Darkplaces if you want to mod the ever living shit out of it.  DP can look vanilla with some minor tweaking, but the previously mentioned sourecports are a better choice.

38 minutes ago, KillPixel said:

QuakeSpasm, generally.

MarkV for software renderer (really nice)

Darkplaces if you want to mod the ever living shit out of it.  DP can look vanilla with some minor tweaking, but the previously mentioned sourecports are a better choice.

Geninue Question, what's kind of Sourceport use Wrath? It's posible to see more complex graphics on the game?

29 minutes ago, jamondemarnatural said:

Geninue Question, what's kind of Sourceport use Wrath? It's posible to see more complex graphics on the game?

Wrath uses a modified DarkPlaces engine.

25 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

Wrath uses a modified DarkPlaces engine.

*laughs in fancy graphiccs*

I already knew that though, I just find it amusing considering the aversion people have to DP here :D :D.