Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nelguy

What is the best Quake source port?

42 minutes ago, seed said:

*laughs in fancy graphiccs*

I already knew that though, I just find it amusing considering the aversion people have to DP here :D :D.

The aversion is not toward DarkPlaces but toward the changes it inflicts on the original levels which were made for a totally different lighting system.

But you simply make a shortcut with "-game ad" at the end. It is even easier than loading a wad in Doom. Does GZDoom have a "Mods" menu option? Nope :D

I'd rather type "game stuff" in the console than have three dozen shortcuts in my folder.

2 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

The aversion is not toward DarkPlaces but toward the changes it inflicts on the original levels which were made for a totally different lighting system.

Are you referring to real time lights?  I'm not sure those are even on by default, but if they are just turn them off in the options menu.

4 hours ago, jamondemarnatural said:

Geninue Question, what's kind of Sourceport use Wrath? It's posible to see more complex graphics on the game?

It uses Darkplaces, with minor modifications.  Being Darkplaces, you can add realtime lights, HD effects, normal/specular/parallax maps, bloom, motion blur, etc etc but your mileage will vary depending on your skill and the time you invest.

6 hours ago, KillPixel said:

Are you referring to real time lights?  I'm not sure those are even on by default, but if they are just turn them off in the options menu.

Can you show how to get it to look exactly like the original?

On a different note, there's a port called DirectQ which has an authentic look and some visual tweaks that don't look out of place. Though the only graphical tweak I'm really interested in for old school shooters is SSAO. The second thing I would change in Quakespasm is a more flexible audio backend like OpenAL.

3 minutes ago, markanini said:

The second thing I would change in Quakespasm is a more flexible audio backend like OpenAL.

This is one thing I find utterly puzzling about source ports in general. Most seem to be obsessed with better graphics or gameplay features, but no matter where I look - nearly everything retains the primitive sound systems from the 90's. That goes for virtually all Doom ports and all Build ports - and from what I've seen also for most Quake and Quake 2 ports.

Am I really the only one who has hooked up their computer to a 5.1 home theatre system with high quality speakers?

2 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

This is one thing I find utterly puzzling about source ports in general. Most seem to be obsessed with better graphics or gameplay features, but no matter where I look - nearly everything retains the primitive sound systems from the 90's. That goes for virtually all Doom ports and all Build ports - and from what I've seen also for most Quake and Quake 2 ports.

Am I really the only one who has hooked up their computer to a 5.1 home theatre system with high quality speakers?

I live in a crowded house with little privacy. Headphones are basically all I can use. Not everyone has fancy speakers.

1 hour ago, rf` said:

Headphones are basically all I can use.

it is enough to get HRTF 3D sound, tho.

1 hour ago, rf` said:

I live in a crowded house with little privacy. Headphones are basically all I can use. Not everyone has fancy speakers.

Look at Devil Daggers, which uses OpenAL. Devil Dagger's sound design is praised by everyone who has played it because it allows you to localize enemies to a tee with sound alone, even with swarms of enemies on the screen.

Or alternatively, look at how most classic doom sourceports just give up on rendering sounds past a certain amount of enemies, whilst GZDoom's sound handling prevents it from becoming a cacophony.

If you're into Quakespasm style ports, I can also recommend vkQuake, which is quakespasm running on Vulkan.

I'd be interested in vkQuake if my computer was compatible with Vulkan. :p

4 hours ago, Grizzly said:

If you're into Quakespasm style ports, I can also recommend vkQuake, which is quakespasm running on Vulkan.

But it doesn't have the additions that QuakeSpasm-Spiked has, right?

2 hours ago, VGA said:

But it doesn't have the additions that QuakeSpasm-Spiked has, right?

Aside from the unlimited framerate, not that I'm aware off.

I tested Quake 1.5 earlier today, it is a weapons pack and gameplay overhaul mod based on DarkPlaces and has modified maps from what I saw. It has a lot of customisation options and presets so it can be adjusted to the user's delight.

Most important change is to make the guns have more impact and animation than the default Quake placeholder-like guns.

EDIT: Daymn, it's good!

Edited by VGA

On 2/17/2020 at 10:19 AM, Graf Zahl said:

I'm speechless, too. >D

That video is a great showcase of virtually everything I dislike about "enhancement" mods of any kind.

uh that clip is nauseatingly jittery.

so quakespasm-spiked is an improved fork of quakespasm? which i have here on my pc... also directquake, can't quite decide between the two. graphics seem pretty much the same, which is better for high frame rate play? (240 hz monitor here)

vkQuake and QuakeSpasm-Spiked are both improved forks over QuakeSpasm.

Try vkQuake ...

12 hours ago, VGA said:

Try vkQuake ...

I had no idea this fork existed - I'm actually not very familiar with Quake ports, the only ports I've ever used are Quakespasm and DarkPlaces.

I'm already loving it, especially since it has no mouse lag with VSync :D . But it DOES have keyboard lag, I can reeeeeally feel the delay when running around lol.

*searches the binaries*

>SDL.

Hm, yeah, then that explains a lot... just like Graf said once, I find the sheer numbers of ports that have settled for SDL almost terrifying. Seriously now, does absolutely no one notice its input handling is fucking dogshit? I am yet to find a SDL-based port that can be used with uncapped framerate and VSync while not suffering from this issue...

7 hours ago, seed said:

I am yet to find a SDL-based port that can be used with uncapped framerate and VSync while not suffering from this issue...

Quakespasm-Spiked?

6 hours ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Quakespasm-Spiked?

*takes a look inside the archive before proceeding any further*

>SDL2.dll

*speaks in Caleb voice* This looks... extraordinarily bad.

5 hours ago, seed said:

*takes a look inside the archive before proceeding any further*

>SDL2.dll

*speaks in Caleb voice* This looks... extraordinarily bad.

But why tho? Not every port using SDL has to be bad. I personally found QS-Spiked to be fine (atleast the last time I played). I suggest to give it a chance before coming to a conclusion.

10 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

But why tho? Not every port using SDL has to be bad. I personally found QS-Spiked to be fine (atleast the last time I played). I suggest to give it a chance before coming to a conclusion.

I didn't know you're thinking that lowly of me. /s

Of course I gave it a try after that post :p . Aaaaaaand it's the same once I turn on VSync, keyboard lag becomes quite apparent, whereas it goes away completely without it and the game becomes VERY responsive. Tbh there's also some mouse lag, but it's basically insignificant, so... Either all those ports have a broken implementation of VSync, or SDL just handles input like crap - probably the latter by the looks of it.

I think I'll stick to vkQuake and DarkPlaces for now - particularly the first because Vulkan :3 .

7 minutes ago, seed said:

I didn't know you're thinking that lowly of me. /s

I wasn't thinking bad or lowly of you :p. I apologize if you found it bad or anything. I just wanted to make sure that you did try out the port.

But I see that it didn't work as well. Oh well.

On 2/16/2020 at 4:59 AM, seed said:

No, that's more along the lines of a Crispy/PrBoom-lite kind of port IMO.

I think Darkplaces hits closer to home here, apparently it has Mac builds too, but I don't know how active is the development anymore, heard it re-emerged but nothing too solid that I could find: https://icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces/download.html

I'm using DarkPlaces. I love it.

On 2/17/2020 at 2:38 PM, Gez said:

I'd rather type "game stuff" in the console than have three dozen shortcuts in my folder.

Not me.

image.png

Edited by Amillennialist