• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cambreaKer

What is your favorite sourceport?

what's your favorite sourceport?  

187 members have voted

1. 1. what's your favorite sourceport?

@cambreaKer are you certain you used the search before posting this?

Besides:

• You can't list them all
  • You ignore some rather known ones (Doomsday, Risen3D, various ZDoom flavors, to name a few)

Ultimately, it's Crispy Doom. I think it's a perfect blend of the old classic feel, and updated capabilities.

Honourable mentions:

PrBoom+ for demos.

GZDoom for casual play.

Chocolate Doom for testing.

I'm pretty sure I've seen this question before but whatever. Good to know at least.

Crispy Doom, easily.

Remember to add more options to the list, if that's possible. You missed many major ones, including Doom Retro, which has the 2nd highest download rate iirc. (would appreciate if anyone corrected me if I'm wrong)

Crispy Doom for its authenticity and improvements. I also think it has the best fullscreen hud in all source ports.

Second place Chocolate Doom for supporting all Doom engine games while keeping it vanilla accurate.

You missed Doom Retro though.

What advantages does Crispy have over PRBoom+ when it comes to vanilla/limit-removing maps? I am genuinely curious since both provide an authentic vanilla experience and Crispy, as far as I know, doesn't support high/native monitor resolutions.

A tie between Doomsday and GZDoom for me.

Doomsday because I've always liked its visual style (no, the models are not standard and I never used them).  It also has some neat editing features, some of which I miss if I'm being honest with myself.  Nostalgia probably plays into my love of it as well, since mapping-wise I went vanilla -> Legacy -> Doomsday -> GZDoom.

I also love GZDoom, mainly because of its editing features (3d floors, UDMF, ACS), but also because it feels like I've progressed away from classic Doom into something better.  I got tired of the old pixelated and banded-color look of Doom many, many years ago.

Just now, Spectre01 said:

What advantages does Crispy have over PRBoom+ when it comes to vanilla/limit-removing maps? I am genuinely curious since both provide an authentic vanilla experience and Crispy, as far as I know, doesn't support high/native monitor resolutions.

well the main one for me is Crispy Dooms fullscreen hud, and the fact i prefer a 4:3 resolution in doom for some reason.

with prboom if i play in a 4:3 resolution it actually has to change my monitors resolution, making the image blurry and hard to alt-tab out of

but since crispy doom just changes the rendering resolution of the game instead of my monitor, its just makes it more convenient  

GZDoom (and Zdoom family ports) just because I can use custom ogg music and SNDINFO. I mostly play vanilla/boom maps on it. :P

26 minutes ago, Hitscanning_scumbag said:

In a similar vein do any of these run any decent mods besides gzdoom? 

I haven't found any thing that can compete. 

GZDoom (and Zandronum for multiplayer) are what you want if you mean gameplay/weapon mods like Brutal Doom.

Most actual mapsets are either Boom format or Vanilla format, so in turn most mapsets work in most source ports.

GZDoom for modern and PRBoom+ for vanilla, but I had to vote for one so GZDoom it is.

Edited by Avoozl

GZDoom for me, and it's not even close. I especially appreciate how good it is at using tracker music, whereas PRBoom often won't play a .MOD file, or will loop it incorrectly. PrBoom also makes it very difficult to use MODs and midis in the same project because of the huge variance in volume between maps with different music formats, though this mostly effects continuers.

As others have noted, you missed Risen3D, which was my fave prior to GZDoom -- and which is also great with tracker music -- and the very popular Eternity.

I use PrBoom+ because it gives me vanilla-style gameplay with modern resolution, which is really all I want out of a port.  If Crispy supported 1280x800 or better, I'd switch.

Anything that adds looking up and down, or jumping and crouching, or disables infinitely tall things is an instant "no".  If I want to play a modern shooter, I am not short of options.  I play Doom to party like it's 1994 (just with more pixels).

9 minutes ago, Capellan said:

Anything that adds looking up and down, or jumping and crouching, or disables infinitely tall things is an instant "no".  If I want to play a modern shooter, I am not short of options.

Modern Doom mods where jumping, crouching and other "new" features are embraced tend to be way, way more enjoyable than modern shooters - primarily because they're still far more like Doom than they are like modern shooters!

My preference is definitely OS as well - give me those vanilla compatible wads and mods all day every day. I've just seen the idea that modern Doom ports/mods are somewhat similar modern shooters tossed around a lot, but it's definitely not true. I guess some of them rip sprites, sfx, or concepts from newer games, but in terms of actual gameplay they're still nothing alike at all (with the Doom mods genuinely being more enjoyable 90% of the time. Which is a sad commentary on the current state of the FPS genre, but that's a whole other discussion!)

I personally like (some) modern shooters, but they are a different beast from Doom and I don't care to have them blended :)

Marine Best Friend 2.04 for MS-DOS/Dosbox . But it's not listed =/ 

but I chose Crispy Doom because it is the one I like most of the ones you have listed

GZDoom is my go to port when it comes to playing doom casually. There's also the fact that you don't have to deal with infinite thing heights, so that's cool.

I usually stick to GZDoom/Zandronum, if mostly to play mods such as Samsara, Russian Overkill, Project Brutality, any Oblige/ObAddon levelset I generate, and what-have-you. I've never really cared much for vanilla-compatibility, but I do have plenty of more vanilla-friendly ports I use to test Doom Format maps such as Chocolate Doom, PrBoom+, and Odamex, since I have started to get back into mappin' stuff.

I also use Zandronum/GZDoom because the ZDoom engine line is really the only line of engines that can run Chex Quest 3 and any maps 'n mods made for Chex Quest 3 properly, I've tried using PrBoom+ with chex3.wad and it didn't even load to the menu. I've also tried running Chex Quest 3 with Odamex, and it kinda does some really screwy things with it. (e.g Commonuses are not supposed to be hitscanners, but Odamex renders them as such.)