Find results in...
cambreaKer

What is your favorite sourceport?

what's your favorite sourceport?  

187 members have voted

1. 1. what's your favorite sourceport?

1 hour ago, Juza said:

Edit: It's actually present in glboom+, but I dislike Hardware's look,

Easy to solve, go to General, select from 8 to 32 bit depending on what you prefer, 8 bit runs the smoothest to me. Alternatively, there're ways to configure opengl to look as much as software though not 100% like it. This is my configuration: A, B, C 

BTW doomguy picked a bonus so that's why the pee tint.

7sbmOEO.png

2 minutes ago, galileo31dos01 said:

BTW doomguy picked a bonus so that's why the pee tint.

I literally heard that sound when read this.

Crispy doom plus Retro doom. Easy to set up and awesome eye candy enhancement choices with the classic look. What else do you need?

On 2/17/2020 at 12:54 PM, Steve D said:

you missed Risen3D

This. Because I am biased ... ;)

Actually, "other" should have been an option.

43 minutes ago, hawkwind said:

Actually, "other" should have been an option.

I think a good rule of thumb with most polls is to add an "Other (please comment)" option.

Anyway, I forgot to mention DoomRetro.  I wouldn't quite put it at my favorite... but definitely tier 2 for me.  If it had an OpenGL renderer and dynamic lights, it'd probably join Doomsday and GZDoom as one of my absolute favorites.

There's also source ports I'm wanting to try, but I simply haven't gotten compiled on Linux yet (or, it's not supported).  DelphiDoom immediately comes to mind, though that could be because I have a soft spot for Object Pascal ^_^;  Also k8vavoom.

2 hours ago, Remilia Scarlet said:

k8vavoom

GNU/Linux is the primary platform for it. ;-) if you have any troubles building it, i'll be glad to help. just PM me.

7 minutes ago, ketmar said:

GNU/Linux is the primary platform for it. ;-) if you have any troubles building it, i'll be glad to help. just PM me.

The current stable version of Slackware still ships with GCC 5.5.x.  I built GCC 8.x from source last year and haven't gotten around to doing the same with GCC 9.x since the next version of Slackware should (I hope) be coming out soon and it already has GCC 9.x.

iirc, k8vavoom requires GCC 9.x due to the standard level it's using ^_^;  So I can't build it at the moment.

22 minutes ago, Remilia Scarlet said:

iirc, k8vavoom requires GCC 9.x

actually, gcc 8 should be enough (i am using gcc 8.3 to build k8vavoom on my system).

p.s.: i am Slackware user too. ;-)

14 minutes ago, ketmar said:

actually, gcc 8 should be enough (i am using gcc 8.3 to build k8vavoom on my system).

p.s.: i am Slackware user too. ;-)

Ahh, know what?  It was the CMakeLists.txt file.  It was giving me an "Unknown arguments specified" error at line 239, which seems to relate to GCC 9.  But since you say it should be good with an older GCC, I'll take your word for it and comment that little section out ^_^

Thank ya!

1 minute ago, Remilia Scarlet said:

It was the CMakeLists.txt file.  It was giving me an "Unknown arguments specified" error at line 239, which seems to relate to GCC 9. 

eh, i sux at writing cmakes. but gcc 8.3 works for sure, because:

[pts/21:ketmar]:back/vavoom_dev% /opt/gcc8/bin/gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 8.3.0
Copyright (C) 2018 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

;-)

Ill throw a vote in for @kb1's KBDoom. I'd love to see a release after (atleast) 8 years of mentions and the fact that its not an actual vaporware project given the few screencaps that exist of it.

In the year of Doom Eternal, a KBDoom release and source would be great to have. So i can actually add it to the wiki lol

mocha doom, doomretro, prboom+, ntdoom, nxdoom, gldoom, woof (gzdoom is great for wads properly utilizing the port's features/strengths).

(would probably like fusion if I could get the damn thing running)

Edited by waveplay : extra stuff

GZDoom! After Legacy fell over and didn't bother to get back up I moved on to ZDoom and eventually progressed to GZDoom.

PrBoom+ is the best source port for the vanilla experience plus quality of life enhancements. I wish Crispy Doom were Boom compatible.

On 2/18/2020 at 5:45 PM, Redneckerz said:

Ill throw a vote in for @kb1's source port...

For months I've been wondering his custom title's meanings. Thanks for explaining the source port.

8 hours ago, lazy91geek said:

PrBoom+ is the best source port for the vanilla experience plus quality of life enhancements. I wish Crispy Doom were Boom compatible.

Me too, really! The problem is that Boom hasn't been implemented as a "clean patch" against the Vanilla code base (granted, there was no GIT available back then). It introduces changes everywhere, even in unrelated code, from comments over white space changes down to the renaming of entries in enum()s - literally everywhere. And it is close to impossible to fiddle all this into a source port that aims to be a clean patch against Chocolate Doom from its very beginning.

Zdoom is the only one I ever used - legit never even tried the other ones

Wow Gzdoom is most popular huh don't even know what it is

Is there a way to get PSX Doom TC working with Z-Doom? I can't run GZ-Doom on a laptop I have as the graphical capability of the laptop is not great as it only has like OGL V.1

GPU.png

2 minutes ago, Boaby Kenobi said:

Is there a way to get PSX Doom TC working with Z-Doom? I can't run GZ-Doom on a laptop I have as the graphical capability of the laptop is not great as it only has like OGL V.1

Maybe try with LZDOOM its on the same website

On 2/18/2020 at 12:45 PM, Redneckerz said:

Ill throw a vote in for @kb1's KBDoom. I'd love to see a release after (atleast) 8 years of mentions and the fact that its not an actual vaporware project given the few screencaps that exist of it.

In the year of Doom Eternal, a KBDoom release and source would be great to have. So i can actually add it to the wiki lol

He stopped posting, dude :D

Anyway, do we need another enhanced Choco fork or whatever?

4 minutes ago, VGA said:

kbDoom seemed to be more along the likes of PrBoom/Eternity/ZDoom though, from what I've seen at least.

I would've loved to check his port out too tbh :(.

2 hours ago, VGA said:

He was here Saturday. If he were inactive i would not have tagged.

1 hour ago, seed said:

kbDoom seemed to be more along the likes of PrBoom/Eternity/ZDoom though, from what I've seen at least.

I would've loved to check his port out too tbh :(.

It is a rather advanced port, yes. KB1 has done other work inbetween however.

3 hours ago, VGA said:

While he technically "stopped posting", he didn't do so under his own power. kb1 is straight up banned.

15 hours ago, jamondemarnatural said:

Maybe try with LZDOOM its on the same website

Just tried that but it's not working. Thank you for the suggestion.

@Boaby Kenobi Your GPU is too weak as even LZdoom requires a OpenGL 2.0 compatible card. Try ZDoom LE (that one supports OpenGL 1.x card) although I can't guarantee if it would work well either.

I got LZ-Doom working but PSX D TC still wouldn't work. It's not a big deal as I have PSX D TC on my desktop but I thought it would be nice to have it on laptop also.

Thanks anyway.

12 hours ago, Edward850 said:

While he technically "stopped posting", he didn't do so under his own power. kb1 is straight up banned.

Ah, is that why? Interesting, and unfortunate. No KBDoom for us!

1 hour ago, Boaby Kenobi said:

Just tried that but it's not working.Thank you for the suggestion.

You would need to give more details:

• What does not work?
  • What error is the console giving you?

You may want to bring this up at the ZDoom forums.

35 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

@Boaby Kenobi Your GPU is too weak as even LZdoom requires a OpenGL 2.0 compatible card.

The GMA 4500MHD is OpenGL 2.1 compatible. LZDoom in hardware mode should thus work. GLBoom+ with the OpenGL2 renderpath should too.

Consequently i have a thin client with the same GPU that i could set up for Doom for this :)

35 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

Try ZDoom LE (that one supports OpenGL 1.x card) although I can't guarantee if it would work well either.

Rule of thumb:

• ZDoom32 has among other things a OpenGL 2.0 renderer, taken from GZDoom 1.9.1.
  • ZDoom LE has a OpenGL 1.2 renderer, taken from GZDoom 1.8.4. Graf did say that GZ never used OpenGL 1.2, but Dr.Frag found out that the renderer works on this level of hardware.
  • ZDoom CL adds in an early Direct3D renderer that was barely documented in ZDoom versions 2.1.7 and 2.2 and adds a OpenGL 1.1 renderer, taken from GZDoom 1.0.17. It can also run on Windows 95.

Basically out of all dr.frag's legacy tiers in terms of GPU support i would use the following performance tiers for clarification because frag adds a lot of features inbetween the various versions:

• LZDoom (OpenGL 2.0+ and above)
  • ZDoom32 (OpenGL 2.0)
  • ZDoom LE (OpenGL 1.2. I recall it also supports 1.4.)
  • ZDoom CL (OpenGL 1.1 and Direct3D)
2 minutes ago, Boaby Kenobi said:

I got LZ-Doom working but PSX D TC still wouldn't work. It's not a big deal as I have PSX D TC on my desktop but I thought it would be nice to have it on laptop also.

Thanks anyway.

See the above tagged part.