Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
skipwire2

First go at map making here...

Hey all

So i made a level pack. I just finished it up last night and i thought i should post it on here. It has five maps and uses The Ultimate Doom.

I have only tested it on GZDoom so there might be a few problems on other ports. Its not very difficult and the recommended difficulties are HMP and UV.

Also, E1M4 has the secret exit.

Enjoy, DoomMaps.zip

Edit: updated the download to a new version which does not have any unedited Ultimate Doom levels present.

Screenshot_Doom_20200217_135838.png.a2d5668fd86e6a53b175204f1bdfc51e.pngScreenshot_Doom_20200217_135859.png.1e6ca37f5c550d02f6c0b75c8771724f.pngScreenshot_Doom_20200217_140007.png.0dfef6f18c1c89e7cf1bf3528ce2a451.pngScreenshot_Doom_20200217_140112.png.7dd451f32ba484dfa8ae637e287d346e.pngScreenshot_Doom_20200217_140134.png.d26ff523ef0d2ba20ce98427b9b62984.pngScreenshot_Doom_20200217_140140.png.d61296be7e159b4155a7038945a0aacb.png

Edited by skipwire2

including the whole Doom IWAD into your own is not the best idea (and it is legally forbidden too). please, fix it and reupload the file.

sorry, still not better at all. there should be no copied IWAD lumps inside, neither map, nor graphics/sound. simply zeroing out map lumps is not the right way of doing it. you don't need the whole doom IWAD copied into your own, you only need to have your new maps inside. remove everything except your maps, please.

p.s.: if you have troubles doing/understanding how to properly do it, don't hesitate to ask in the "editing questions" subforum. there is nothing wrong in asking, and people here will like to help. screenshots looks interesting, and we like to see new mappers around. it may be somewhat hard to do everything right at the first try, tho.

Edited by ketmar

i player the 4 maps on uv and i really liked it.

will you make a full wad or only those 4 maps?

note: i was writing that while i played.

oh, and about maps themselves! ;-) i like them. nice architecture (maybe slightly claustrophobic, tho, i miss some open space), good height variation, nice lighting, and i wasn't really lost.

cannot say anything good about maze part in E1M2, tho, but this is because i HAET mazes with passion. it wasn't hard, i just hate mazes.

those row of Barons almost made me to ragequit, because i though that we're going into the worst kind of slaighter territory there. but i liked it, the solution was satisfying! ;-)

marking yellow key alcove as a secret sector in E1M2... why? it looks like you wanted to give the player some feeling of achievement/satisfaction by finding it. it worked, but some people may complain about "keys required for progression are hidden in secrets". there is nothing wrong in what you did, tho, just keep in mind that people may not like it. but if you feel that you want to do it that way, then do it! ;-)

E1M3: too much hitscanners in tight corridors at the beginning for me. not really dangerous, but slightly annoying (also, while i am at it, you seem to constantly forgot to peg doortracks. minor thing.).

i missed the blue key first time i entered the room with it. i am not really of exploration type, so i killed the monsters, turned around and moved away. not your fault, of course, because you hinted at it, i just ignored your hint. ;-)

a-a-and... here we have the arena fight! i like how you put imps behind wall windows to keep the tension. but the whole arena feels empty. not really bad, just i feel that it missing something. maybe slightly more interesting structures like that one that is there.

putting yellow key out of immediate reach is great idea, it gave me the incentive to clear the arena a little.

i am playing with "infinite tall monsters" off, so getting the red key was quite easy, i just runned under cacos. i guess they could be slightly harder to avoid in vanilla monster height settings. not a flaw at all, just a note.

E1M4: punching all the pinkies at the beginning was slightly boring, even with berserker. not bad, tho, i see how it creates some atmosphere.

Cybbie wasn't really a threat, because i can move close to the wall, that then he just shooting his rockets into the floor (hurting other monsters by the way). if that was what you intended to do, then it worked!

and secrets are nicely hinted to, btw.

E1M5: just to give me some satisfaction, i guees. i smiled.

overall, this is nice mappack, i'd like to see more from you! thank you for sharing it!

p.s.: take my writing with a grain of salt, of course, because what is the fault for one player may be the greatest thing for another.

On 2/19/2020 at 9:33 PM, ketmar said:

sorry, still not better at all. there should be no copied IWAD lumps inside, neither map, nor graphics/sound. simply zeroing out map lumps is not the right way of doing it. you don't need the whole doom IWAD copied into your own, you only need to have your new maps inside. remove everything except your maps, please.

p.s.: if you have troubles doing/understanding how to properly do it, don't hesitate to ask in the "editing questions" subforum. there is nothing wrong in asking, and people here will like to help. screenshots looks interesting, and we like to see new mappers around. it may be somewhat hard to do everything right at the first try, tho.

If i clicked on 'new map' in DoomBuilder it creates a new file, would this be ok to share? I dont think it carries over any original textures, maps or sound.

On 2/19/2020 at 10:25 PM, Felden said:

i player the 4 maps on uv and i really liked it.

will you make a full wad or only those 4 maps?

I do intend to make another one with around 15 maps.

I will update this page to link to it when the first release is out. (:

12 minutes ago, skipwire2 said:

If i clicked on 'new map' in DoomBuilder it creates a new file, would this be ok to share? I dont think it carries over any original textures, maps or sound.

This is fine, you would just share the new WAD here. Since we all have IWADs, it would load all the textures and other data just fine.

When you edit maps, you are telling DoomBuilder what resources you want to use. If you're only using Doom 2 for example, anyone who has Doom 2 can play your map.

33 minutes ago, skipwire2 said:

yeah. what @R4L said. choose the appropriate base IWAD as a resource file, and you'll be fine.

p.s.: when you updating something in the starting post, make a separate post with update note too. the forum is not sending notifications for updates, only for new posts, so people may miss your updates. it also increases topic visibility by bumping it. ;-)