Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Boomslang

God damn i hate playing this game with a controller

I move around like a dumbass and it takes FUCKING ages for me to aim properly, how can anyone play this game?

i'm very salty right now, and playing this on a controller isn't really good.

the fast paced action combined with the slow turning really makes this a terrible experience.

A lot of games, particularly PC games, take the raw analog stick input and directly map it to turning (or mouse input). This often makes it too jerky to aim properly even if sensitivity is turned down. Most console games won't do this and apply some sort of smoothing. This is effectively treating the player as if they have a moment of inertia like a physical object. While this sucks for mouse, it really improves the analog stick input. N64 games like Doom 64 and Quake 64 had some smoothing for the analog stick input. But Quake 2 on the N64 did not and its so hard to control compared to Doom 64 and Quake 64.

Conversely analog stick smoothing, makes it hard for those peripherals that connect a mouse to a PS4 or XB1 to emulate mouse controls properly. Like Doom 2016 on the PS4 rightfully has analog stick smoothing. But if you use something like a Hori TAC Pro to try to play PS4 Doom 2016 with mouse and key it becomes very annoying to control (even with the manufacturer presets for Doom 2016).

On PC though, I do like using my Hori TAC Pro to play Doom with analog stick movement and mouse aiming. Kind of a weird hybrid, but one that I enjoy.

I also like the virtual reality combo (since I dont get motion sick) of analog controls with head aiming. So I can move around and turn with a controller, but I leave the aiming to where I am looking with the VR helmet (kinda like a bonus mouse aim). This means easy infinite circle strafing but without aiming suffering too much.

9 hours ago, Boomslang said:

I move around like a dumbass and it takes FUCKING ages for me to aim properly, how can anyone play this game?

By their hands.

Non-joking response: It seesm to me that you aren't used to playing shooters on console?

Due to the inherit difference between inputs (and often latencies aswell), gaming on KB+M or gaming on a controller is not comparable. For fast paced shooters, the latter often is less effective because indeed, aiming is less accurate than what you would achieve with KB+M. Its not impossible, mind you, but it definitely takes a readjustment, that only occurs when you play the game often.

So that's my advice really: Keep on playing and muscle memory will then set in.

11 hours ago, Boomslang said:

i'm very salty right now, and playing this on a controller isn't really good.

the fast paced action combined with the slow turning really makes this a terrible experience.

I know exactly how you feel. I once tried playing Quake 3 Arena with a controller eons ago... NOT FUN.

From my experience, controllers are meant for platformers and RPGs (and even ROMs)... but not first person shooters. You see, first person shooters and the KB+M combo go together like PB&J.

But take it from me, your mileage may vary. I never did personally like the way the controls worked because I couldn't turn around with the left+right keys, only with the MOUSE! That's when I realized it wasn't 1993 anymore and strafing became the standard. No wonder I didn't enjoy this game...

Edited by HavoX

The few times I played an FPS with a controller, I usually had turning speed set to a pretty high value, while doing the "fine aiming" by way of strafing (because tapping a button is pretty easy). If you get used to high turn speeds you might need to "fine adjust" less eventually, so it has that going for it, too. It's far from ideal, but it's better than getting beaten up from behind while taking 20 second to turn 180°.

Never 'just' turn with a controller. Always put some amount of strafing into the mix so you're a moving target as you reorient yourself. This advice comes from someone who plays both; although KB/M is 'optimal' and more high-performance, I find the 'hunch' I get into using such controls to be pretty bad on my already-terrible posture, so sometimes I play controller to sit more relaxed and change it up.

@Nine Inch Heels' advice about strafing for the fine adjustments is solid too. Do what works, the control schemes can never be 1:1 but, unlike 99% KB/M users, I wouldn't say FPS are 'unplayable' or whatever with controller. Just different, slightly clumsier.

me: "UGH THESE CONTROLS SUCK!!"

also me: plays the game until one in the morning

i just wish i had more precise controls.

12 hours ago, Pablo_Doom_Guy said:

then play it with a keyboard instead....

i'm on the Nintendo Switch, my pc can't run doom 4

and when i try to change the settings in the demo it stops working.

i've noticed i'm bad at every game on controller, but FPSes are the worst. stuff like dishonored where you're trying to be covert is ten times harder on pad when its so much more clumsy to look around :3

I dumbly bought Doom 2016 for PS4 a while back and I couldn't even make it through the first level, it was so appalling. FPS with a controller is like kb/m with boxing gloves on. Give me fine motion control at least!

This might seem kinda weird, but even owning a playstation and having played a good amount of it, I'll never be fully used to using the playstation controller's thumbsticks for precise fps play. I used to love the giant, original xbox controllers and even the smaller ones, like for the 360 and such, were good, but playstation controllers make me feel so uncoordinated for fps games. That all said I love my ps4 controller for quick alttpr runs; can actually hover with it too for the low profile buttons ^^

Controllers are good for like... platformers and fighting games and that's it.

And I say this as someone who clicked about 150 hours on the PS3 version of Fallout 3 before the save bloat caused the game to be unstable and freeze after half an hour if you were outside. 

Edited by Rampy470

It's all a matter of experience and how you are "trained" , I guess. For me, it's quite the opposite. I grew up with Atari 2600, SNES, Sega Genesis, PSX, Sega Saturn/Dreamcast, PS2/3, N64, Gamecube.....Controllers/Gamepads dominated my gaming life for the last 30 years. I played everything with a controller,-Shooters, RPG's, Jump'n Run, Beat'em Ups, Strategy, 3rd person games and so on. I got my first PC very, very late. I'm extremly good on controllers,-they literally merged with my hands by the time but Keyboards.... I'm probably one of the dumbest gamers out there. I'm always a looser in Deathmatches. Counterstrike? LOL.

Before I encounter another player in a map, I'll be shot dead a couple of times. I'm too slow, don't know what buttons to push, lack of motoric skills etc...

If you grew up with keyboards only you might have the same trouble with controllers. Nowadays, I can handle Doom or Strategy games both ways equally, but it'lll never be possible for me to play sports games or 3rd person games with a keyboard/mouse combination only- it's a nightmare.

4 hours ago, Boomslang said:

i'm on the Nintendo Switch, my pc can't run doom 4

and when i try to change the settings in the demo it stops working.

=(

to me FPS games = PC , because of this issue you are having , they are unplayable with a controller =/ . But there are 3rd party adapters for consoles , where you can plug a ps4 / xbox controller or a PC Keyboard and Mouse 

2 hours ago, Linguica said:

I dumbly bought Doom 2016 for PS4 a while back and I couldn't even make it through the first level, it was so appalling. FPS with a controller is like kb/m with boxing gloves on. Give me fine motion control at least!

exactly, i also tried out the motion controls for the switch and tbh it was kinda bad.

21 hours ago, Pablo_Doom_Guy said:

then play it with a keyboard instead....

Agreed. But with the Switch, people like playing games on the go. Me personally, i could never do that, even as a kid with a Gameboy Color (the one i had) back when i was younger as i would get headaches in the car and what not. Hell, i can't even read in the car if i had to for some reason.

There are certain games that i just can't play on console anymore such as older FPS games although i will still try (lol) as i did buy The Ultimate Doom and Doom II for my Xbox One.

Oddly enough i can play FPS games on modern consoles just fine though. It probably comes from my time growing up as a console gamer. When it comes to ports of older games such as Doom though, i can't aim for the life of me! It's so much harder with a controller. It's either too sensitive or not sensitive enough.

About Doom 2016: It took me a bit to get used to Doom 2016 on XB1 due to its faster paced gameplay but i choose a different control scheme other than the default one and i was fine with it eventually (i think i choose "Tactical"). I had to turn down the "Look Smoothing" though as that was really screwing with me. Once i did that the turning felt better.

The only FPS I've really played with a controller is the original Xbox Halo:CE around the time it came out. It felt... less than ideal, despite Halo's slower speed and low-accuracy weapons designed for console gameplay. I'm so used to Mouse + Keyboard these days even for titles designed around the controller, like Dark Souls and other third-person action games.

Oddly, I seem to do better on PS4, especially in the first handful of levels, using the DS4, than I was on PC. I must have gone with a higher difficulty on PC, I don't remember what I played through the PS4 version on the first time, but my initial playthrough of Doom 2016 on PC was tougher than it was on PS4 (I played through the PS4 version twice before playing the PC version as my PC was unstable when Doom was released). In the last decade I've played more games, even FPS with controller than with kb/m partly out of comfort of playing in front of the TV and partly because I play guitar and M/K has done some damage to my wrist over the years, my wrist now "crunches" after extensive play with m/k these days. I didn't play the PC Doom 2016 with controller just out of nostalgia's sake though, but I might try another playthrough with a controller to see the real difference. 

7 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

The only FPS I've really played with a controller is the original Xbox Halo:CE around the time it came out. It felt... less than ideal, despite Halo's slower speed and low-accuracy weapons designed for console gameplay. I'm so used to Mouse + Keyboard these days even for titles designed around the controller, like Dark Souls and other third-person action games.

Same here. The only controllers I've ever touched are NES ones, some 10+ years ago.

I'm afraid of how hard my brain will split in half if I am to adjust to a new control scheme lmao.

19 minutes ago, sluggard said:

Don't shooters on consoles have something called "Aim Assist" or something.

They do, but not all of them I think.

15 hours ago, Linguica said:

Same here. I saw the game new for only £5 so I bought it but when I played it I just couldn't get into it due to the controller.

I have Doom 2016 on Steam but it doesn't run too well so I'll play it when I get a new system.

Ive been playing DOOM 2016 for like 2 years on the PS4 with a Dualshock, its terrible but I've gotten used to it. If you try putting your sensitivity a little higher it makes it even worse though, it doesn't help at all lol

6 hours ago, sluggard said:

Don't shooters on consoles have something called "Aim Assist" or something.

i do have it on but it's not very huge

plus when i'm near an enemy with the super shotgun i still miss because it's so fucking fast.

still fun.

usually it's best to get your aim into the general direction of your enemy and then move your body to line up the shot. The air movement rune really helps. You won't really be getting many headshots this way though but you're probably gonna be fine given that there's ammo everywhere.

Ugh. Thank God someone else thinks this too. Back when I had a capable pc I got all way to kadn--kagdn---

To hell, the first time, and had a blast playing! Even through a lot of frustrating deaths I enjoyed myself enough to keep Pushing on.

*HOWEVER*

I bought doom on the switch because it was that or skyrim, and I was not AND WILL Not pay 60$ us for a game that old ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING TODDTHESDA 

Rant aside, I cannot play it! On switch I'm not even close to where I was. I'm like... Level 2? And it took me weeks of intermittent playing to get there. I just got no patience for it.  I think I know what the issue is. On higher sensitivities it doesn't increase the analog sensitivity, it has doom/guy/slayer turning AT EXACTLY THE SAME FREAKING SPEED and then waits like 2 seconds before warping 360 degrees in the blink of an eye, WHO DOES THIS YOU GODLESS HEATHENS

Sorry for all the "yelling", but God I've been wanting to vent about this for a while. 

Playing an FPS with a controller is like having sex while fully clothed. Theoretically possible but awkward, clumsy and missing the point.

I played Doom with a controller on PS4 and it was ok, but not the true experience.  I now have a PC that is good for gaming again and first game I got was Doom, because more than any other (well also Quake 3) it represents K+M perfection.  The experience is much better.   Having said that some games really do work on gamepad if done well.  Destiny for me is an example where I am finding the transition to M+K actually more tricky.