Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
termrork

New category ideas

so sadly there are only a few wads I enjoy playing for whatever reason. also I like to speedrun. to mix things up I thought about running doom2 again but in a category I have not tried yet. e.g. I liked the UV over 100% category. nevertheless, what new category comes into your head? it should be such that there are different routes needed than for the usual categories. a little brainstorming from my side brought up these categories:

- fist/berserk only

- keys: all keys are needed to be collected

- weapons: all weapons are needed to be collected

- playing the maps in a reversed order

- "glitchless" except of SR40

- every shot you do have to result in a death of at least 1 monster

- you are not allowed to take any health and armor, how far do you come in a D2ALL run?

- uv max but you dot have to kill all monsters but only 1 type/group (i.e. only cacos are needed, or only pistol, SG and CG guys)

- uv tyson but the pistol exchanged with a different weapon (i.e. doom2 D2ALL only with fist and rocket launcher)

- you are not allowed to press a certain key, like forward, backward (might be fun ;))

- automap has to be always on

50 minutes ago, termrork said:

- you are not allowed to press a certain key, like forward, backward (might be fun ;))

UV Crab: no forward or backward movement.

@grazza hahaha

@kraflab thank you for sharing this thread, a lot of interesting categories listed in there! when there are no more posts in this thread I will make a huge list with all ideas including from this thread

@DiamondDude11 now you are becoming ridiculous! (just kidding :))

@Horus mh... I guess monster infighting would be quite annoying, so very luck based at some places. also would a 10 minute run with 0% be better than a 10 seconds run with 1%? I would say yes but it would be weird wouldnt it?

I have a few silly ideas.  Left unnamed.

- Kill all archviles and pain elementals and exit the level as fast as possible.

- Any other category (except pacifist) except that one does not directly harm cacodemons.  Infighting and accidental telefrags are OK.  Ranking by surviving cacodemons is an option.

I think UV-Suicide is a beautiful new category. I found it on youtube.

1 hour ago, bma said:

I think UV-Suicide is a beautiful new category. I found it on youtube.

UV-Speed record absolutely thrashed. 

I was thinking for a while of a category where you complete the level facing backwards or opposite of where you’re going. Using e1m1 as an example you would angle and position yourself such where you can effectively SR40 or SR50 backwards. You would still need to turn around to hit switches, doors, elevators, etc.

6 minutes ago, Shon_RT said:

I was thinking for a while of a category where you complete the level facing backwards or opposite of where you’re going. Using e1m1 as an example you would angle and position yourself such where you can effectively SR40 or SR50 backwards. You would still need to turn around to hit switches, doors, elevators, etc.

https://www.dsdarchive.com/files/demos/doom/30167/e1m7-910.zip

https://www.dsdarchive.com/files/demos/doom/28831/e1m1-111espi.zip

18 hours ago, termrork said:

Me and @Ribbiks vaguely discussed the idea of demos where you aren't allowed to turn, a while back. IIRC we mostly just concluded that using the chainsaw to turn yourself (for the exit switch etc) would be cool.

How about UV-Idiot Proof? You have to maintain at least 100% health at all times. A little like Reality in that you have to be extremely careful with health (especially at the start of levels), but without the need to quit on the spot if you get hit. You can even use rocket jumps and AV jumps if you're really loaded up with health and armour. I guess there would be a special allowance for maps where you start off in a pain sector or that end with a damage/exit sector.

Regarding backward-only demos, I did a backward-only Stroller here.

Finish the level(s) as fast as possible while collecting all the score affecting items (100% items).

Couple of ideas which can force player to make new routes for old maps.

1. UV-Max but you could not switch weapons (only can switch by pickup or by depleting ammo).

2. UV-Max but you have to constantly press down the fire button.

3. Combination of 1+2.

1 hour ago, Grazza said:

How about UV-Idiot Proof? You have to maintain at least 100% health at all times. A little like Reality in that you have to be extremely careful with health (especially at the start of levels), but without the need to quit on the spot if you get hit. You can even use rocket jumps and AV jumps if you're really loaded up with health and armour. I guess there would be a special allowance for maps where you start off in a pain sector or that end with a damage/exit sector.

I had that Idea a long time ago, and I called it no pain mode, on the theory that doomguy only feels pain when his health goes below 100%

What about a run where you go UV100%... but you can't take damage, period, or you start the entire run over again.

e.g. you make it to e4m1 and take damage. You have to start over from e1m1.

Or horde mode, where you have to get all monsters possible into the same area with each other, before you can kill them all.

4 hours ago, Shon_RT said:

What about a category where you can’t use keyboard inputs to move only mouse movement?

I think that's called cervantes

8 hours ago, Grazza said:

I'm so annoyed with some of the maps that you have to take 1 instance of pain sector damage in order to finish... so close to Reality, but it's not... SoD Map06 is one. That's why I finished Map01~05 and jump to a few other maps since I found out Map06 is not possible..

talked with krawa about this thread and he had a nice idea:

you are only allowed to directly kill a monster when there is no "lower" monster. the monsters are ordered the same way doom2 does. e.g. if there is no zombieman alive in the map you are allowed to kill shotgun guys. cyberdemons only if there is no other monster left etc. since "our hero" is the highest ranked "monster" you would have to kill all monsters before you do a suicide exit.

if it is not otherwise possible (usually in map07 you have to kill mancubi first) one would have to kill these first.

Randomizer runs!

This works with any existing category. Just add the following features:

1. Keep original game content.
2. Randomize map order.
3. Shuffle all thing coordinates on the current map.
5. Perhaps shuffle all graphics?
4. Shuffle all sound effects?
6. If you can think of some game content to shuffle, shuffle it!
7. Try to complete any megawad without dying or getting stuck.
8. Restart.

On 2/18/2020 at 12:36 PM, termrork said:

I would modify this in:

- choose the least number of buttons you can, or only a fixed number, like four (mouse movement should be banned though).

It could be interesting, like, what is the least number of buttons you need to complete a certain map? 

I would pick strafe left, turn right, use, and shoot.

9 hours ago, Red-XIII said:

I would modify this in:

- choose the least number of buttons you can, or only a fixed number, like four (mouse movement should be banned though).

It could be interesting, like, what is the least number of buttons you need to complete a certain map? 

I would pick strafe left, turn right, use, and shoot.

damn that sounds fun! I wonder what the least number of buttons are for the doom2 maps.

01: forward, turn, use would be enough

but also forward, strafe right, backward, use would be enough

is there any map with only 2 buttons?

16 should work with only forward and turn, not sure if there is any other map