Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ReeseJamPiece

What's 1 quirky thing about the place you live?

I was born and raised in Scotland for those curious. We have these islands up north called the Orkney Islands and on one of the islands, they have sheep that eat seaweed. (yes, seaweed)

I've always been fascinated with other countries because I have never actually travelled anywhere else besides a couple cities in Scotland and Blackpool in England. I've dreamed of one day being a rich software engineer in some rich Asian country like Japan or Singapore eating chicken noodles for breakfast. So what's a quirky little thing about the place you live that you'd like to tell this old Scottish tart?

In the town I live in, there's a certain street that I also live on where every year, people line up luminaries across the side of the street in front of their homes as a kind of Christmas tradition. They do look pretty cool when you see them at night. Here's what they usually look like:

facebook_3b09d35d94ef11ee5325_Luminaries

Plenty of quirky things in my city:

A sculpture during Christmas

camelvyj25.jpg

The local Art Gallery

art_gallerylckrd.jpg

My favourite skyscraper design (guess which one)

anhui_tvcrjlb.jpg

I live right next to the road known as Hell's Highway during WW2. Needless to say, the area saw some intense fighting. There's a kangaroo statue in town to commemorate Australians who died liberating the town I live in.

@elendI like that art gallery for sure. Also, I guess it's that obvious one with a ramp or something you like the most?

The place I used to live has a sculpture of 5 goats :P

My city is kind of normal, but a lot of evil things happen.

Maybe one day we will be able to summon Cthulhu because it's a shore city! Ph'nglui, Ph'nglui~..

My city is one of the most dangerous places in all of Mexico, not only because we have a volcano.

It's a redneck ass town with at least 5 bars in a quarter mile radius and the best chicken wings you could ever eat. I'm cool with it.

I live in perhaps the most important, and famous Civil War destination. So... we got the battlefield, the absolute worst national park, souvenir shops filled with cheap Civil War memorabilia (and MAGA shirts for some reason), and tourists! Lot's of war nuts dragging their uninterested family to a town that doesn't even have a Chipotle. Oh well, going to school here was pretty fun, and there are a few local places with great food.

The dictator that ruled our country and killed thousands of people in the 70s was born here.
Our Natural History museum was founded by the most renowned paleontologist in the country, and one of the most renowned on Earth. He died yesterday, actually.
Beyond that? not much. It's too small to be relevant, yet too "big" and urban to have the "small town" feel. Kinda sad vibes, really.

My area is counted as Metro despite being surrounded by cow farms and Kangaroos. 

the city i live in has this weird theme park

image.png.a0d6c73f4bca6008eac5232d485a7caa.png

a giant glass of wine

image.png.4f1b4ecb0d435cd131944433b1499e3a.png

and this building that looks like it could be from a doom level 

image.png.440342e649381ece277802de85065777.png

it has some other things but these are the ones on the top of my head right now.

2 hours ago, Tammato said:

The dictator that ruled our country and killed thousands of people in the 70s was born here.
Our Natural History museum was founded by the most renowned paleontologist in the country, and one of the most renowned on Earth. He died yesterday, actually.
Beyond that? not much. It's too small to be relevant, yet too "big" and urban to have the "small town" feel. Kinda sad vibes, really.

a fellow argentinian i see

My neighbourhood is generally a good one, but it's a big neighbourhood, so of course there are some bums who like to drink alcohol in public. They have their spot.

Right under a god damn bank.

You'd think this is where they'd most likely be caught by a police patrol, but this bank is actually in a place where police would have to walk to check if everything's fine, and they don't like to leave their patrol car.

No one was harmed by these guys so far, so no one cares.

Suppose the most interesting thing around here is this statue. It depicts a general who gained his fame from Finnish War at the beginning of the 1800s.

SVExHeB0XorJ3vlJpTOigdkFbMfmWFXWbnPU1rfb

Probably the quirkiest thing is that there's a statue in our town square that youths like to stick traffic cones on. It's become something of a local tradition.

408805137_IMG_20190729_172645465tiny.jpg.0aa023c2b09aaf03cf311acbdc28c5ad.jpg

Edited by Jewellds : Image was way too huge.

My city was chosen for European Capital of Culture in the second half of the 2000s.

It's also the birthplace of quite a few personalities.

Spoiler

Our city played a pretty minor yet important role in a revolution.

Nothing else worthy of mentioning though. It is a pretty calm place these days.

We have a statue known as the Coghorn in town here. And there's an old chapel five minutes down the road. Plus there's an extinct volcano in the city centre.

Loanhead_-_geograph.org.uk_-_26430.jpg

tour_img-1818092-148.jpg

Arthurs-Seat.jpg.optimal.jpg