Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ReeseJamPiece

What's 1 quirky thing about the place you live?

14 hours ago, spd7693 said:

I come from BullS***Garia Bulgaria. I think this way of calling the land is enough to tell you what it is here. 

It's not all bad. At least as a tourist destination, Bulgaria is great. The people are friendly in general. There are a lot of problems, but also a lot of good things to see here. Rich history, jack of all trades in terms of nature, good hotels and so on. The problem is living here for long makes you feel bored. And at times the problem of our economy being just meh will kick in. That's why I said "BullS***Garia". 

I salute you. One of my pastimes is to learn about the history of the Balkans and Eastern Europe in general, I know quite a bit about the land of the Karanovo culture. Be proud of your heritage and your land, its story is rich with a past full of both tragedy and greatness. Throughout the years, your country and its people managed to emerge intact despite being against terrible odds. Remember; be proud of where you're from because that's a fact you cannot change and those who claim the contrary are nothing but "bokluk". Much love.

This post was made by the Sid Meier's Civilization narrator voice gang, we out there.

Back in 1954 the Muskegon Brewing company in Muskegon Michigan was one of only two breweries in the United States to brew Guinness Beer. Guinness wouldn't be brewed in the United States again until 2018.

7 hours ago, M00DER said:

Remember; be proud of where you're from because that's a fact you cannot change and those who claim the contrary are nothing but "bokluk".

I always am and I will always wave the Bulgarian flag high above my head. If possible, in a white shirt, on a white horse and with a sword in hand. I always will stay proud of being a Bulgarian. I just... feel stuck and cramped in the country, that's why I'm planning to live somewhere else. I simply want to evlove and I feel some people are more useful for their land abroad. 

I live in Toowoomba Australia-Toowoomba is sitting on an extinct lava pool <- thats something 

Washington_County_Minnesota_Incorporated

I'm struggling to think of anything, other than the fact that it is just under 36 square miles in area yet contains 51 parks and more than 100 miles of trails, which I suppose is a lot. It's a low-crime place and what seems like half the crime occurs in one building that is about to get demolished.

Edited by Grazza

pp-website-images-locations-az-phoenix.j

Phoenix AZ is the fifth-largest capital city in the USA and the biggest capital city in terms of size. 

Hmm, my city doesn't have much. It blew up once (Halifax explosion). There is a fort in the middle of the city and every day at noon they fire one of the cannons no matter what the weather is.

On 2/21/2020 at 12:53 PM, M00DER said:

Remember; be proud of where you're from because that's a fact you cannot change and those who claim the contrary are nothing but "bokluk". Much love.

I try to be proud of my country but it's poverty, people and politics hold me back. Poverty has been a big issue in Scotland and it's affecting a lot of people, I came from a family that was basically on the border of being in poverty and I grew up in a crime filled neighbourhood with a lot of bad people. Also the politicians are a joke to be honest and some of the people here honestly make me want to get on the nearest plane to whatever's cheapest.

I'm proud of some things like our food and history but everything else is just one big dunce overall.

4 minutes ago, ReeseJamPiece said:

I try to be proud of my country but it's poverty, people and politics hold me back. Poverty has been a big issue in Scotland and it's affecting a lot of people, I came from a family that was basically on the border of being in poverty and I grew up in a crime filled neighbourhood with a lot of bad people. Also the politicians are a joke to be honest and some of the people here honestly make me want to get on the nearest plane to whatever's cheapest.

I'm proud of some things like our food and history but everything else is just one big dunce overall.

The same could be said about my country and I could say the same for my environment but here's a thing ; why not trying to make it better? This is my opinion of course but running away is not going to fix anything, it will be temporary. I don't know you from adam, I don't know what it's like there but as for me, I try to focus on myself, improving to the best of my abilities and be good to the people and the land I care about.

Your roots will always call you back, no matter how many miles you're away from home. Our politicians are a joke and some people are bad too, am I going to let the good things to them and to be taken away? Hell no! Care about the ones you love, care about your home, the least you can do is to cut your corner of happiness in this world. That's my philosophy and I felt like sharing it, in the end you do what you gotta do. Cheer up Scot.

2 hours ago, M00DER said:

The same could be said about my country and I could say the same for my environment but here's a thing ; why not trying to make it better? This is my opinion of course but running away is not going to fix anything, it will be temporary. I don't know you from adam, I don't know what it's like there but as for me, I try to focus on myself, improving to the best of my abilities and be good to the people and the land I care about.

Your roots will always call you back, no matter how many miles you're away from home. Our politicians are a joke and some people are bad too, am I going to let the good things to them and to be taken away? Hell no! Care about the ones you love, care about your home, the least you can do is to cut your corner of happiness in this world. That's my philosophy and I felt like sharing it, in the end you do what you gotta do. Cheer up Scot.

I was planning on trying to get good at coding so I can get a good 70k a year software engineering job in Japan at around age 26 or so. But even if I leave and try to leave everything behind, I'll still have my Scottish roots and habits. I could train myself to act Japanese and only think in Japanese but either way I'm still a Scottish lad. I wish I could improve my country but I think I'm way past that now, chances are I'll be abroad by that time. I feel like it's already too late for my country and it feels like I'm holding on strings at this stage.

San Carlos, Venezuela. 

I clearly remember that place when I still lived there, the main touristic place is a big mango monument

image.png.84738ffe93134c21ab31442e3a7cd7d4.png

this is 100% real 

Yeah wtf, but cool as hell, how is it not falling down on one of its faces?

18xp-methcampaign-jumbo.png?quality=90&a

I'm glad our governess decided to make us the laughing stock of the nation. And spent a shitload of money doing so.

There's at least one day of the winter every year where Grand Forks is the coldest inhabited town in North America. Like seriously, only Siberia and Antarctica consistently get colder than us. Parts of Alaska, I suppose, but I have to stress the word parts.

Despite living in Greater London, we seem to get almost-daily patrols of mounted police. They contribute to the general crappiness and littering of the area with heaps of horseshit every now and then.

On 2/26/2020 at 4:16 PM, seed said:

Yeah wtf, but cool as hell, how is it not falling down on one of its faces?

I recall it always seemed very solidly built, and it has clearly withstood some foul weather (the place got windy at times) and drunks stumbling into it (some good bars in town... though it wasn't on my route home). Low centre of gravity and probably girders going along the edges and into the ground. Maybe I read that and am remembering it or maybe I'm just supposing it - not sure.

Anyway, if you like the cube, then you'll surely like the following statue (Thebes Falling by Giacomo Manzù) I saw in the Hermitage a few months back:

fVkdiS7.jpg

All the weight on one chair leg.

23 hours ago, lazy91geek said:

We have a Polish Club down the road that doesn't allow minorities. Ain't that just the silliest?

My city has tons of Polish people, this kinda stuff would probably make them roll on the floor laughing.

15 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

The chick who played Harley Quinn lives here.  She's kinda quirky right?

Quirkier than a doorknob with two holes.