Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Thorogrimm

Is Plutonia fair?

I loathe plutonia. In my opinion, a game that requires prior knowledge to successfully avoid cheap deaths is poorly designed and just not fun. I like to die or get badly hurt because my skills failed me, not because I could not conceivably react to a given situation without knowing it was coming.

Whether it's fair depends on your skill level and perspective. Obviously others enjoy it and that's fine. We are all different in our tastes. But for me, it's my least favorite of the official releases. I played it once and never again.

Edited by Murdoch

Thought Plutonia was a good and fun challenge despite the chaingun guys everywhere. MAP32 (although a modified MAP01 Entryway) may be the best slaughter map out there.

46 minutes ago, Murdoch said:

I loathe plutonia. In my opinion, a game that requires prior knowledge to successfully avoid cheap deaths is poorly designed and just not fun.

None of that happens on Plutonia iirc. All situations (or at least most of them) are manageable if you react quickly enough

Plutonia has made me smash on my keyboard quite a few times. Still haven't beat it either.

challenging, not for the faint of heart. not for new players.

34 minutes ago, Noiser said:

None of that happens on Plutonia iirc. All situations (or at least most of them) are manageable if you react quickly enough

To be fair, I have not played it in nearly twenty years. You may be right. All I remember for sure is I absolutely did not enjoy the experience.

7 hours ago, Noiser said:

Yes they do. Plutonia has many chaingunner closets,lockdowns with barely any space and teleport traps. I've watched enough people die to the first chaingunners\revs on 2nd map (imo the dumbest design of any trap in iwads) traps to know why a lot of people don't bother playing it. Their fault for trying it on UV first playthrough? well yes, but they probably didn't anticipate the traps to happen this way and so early. Not to mention even hurt me plenty has these traps. 

8 hours ago, Hypnotik said:

challenging, not for the faint of heart. not for new players.

Actually this. Plutonia was designed by, and for, veteran players at the time. I remember from Civvie's video that one of the brothers even said that every time they felt the game got too easy they ramped up the difficulty. They also had little to no sympathy for players who chose to play on UV and then complained that it was too difficult.

Granted, after over 25 years of community wads, Plutonia's difficulty completely pales in comparison with some of the more hardcore wads out there, but the point still stands. It was designed to be difficult, and for players who already had experience with Doom, not newcomers.

I don't think Plutonia is that hard anymore compared to some things I've played. I've taken the Civie challenge, that's also because I rarely play pistol start and to stop my habit of save spamming, and sure it was more challenging than other early WADs, but I could fairly do some of the first few levels if I go slowly and carefully (I only died few times in level 2 or 3 iirc). Meanwhile, there are modern slaughtermaps that I end up not even having the ammo to kill all these hundreds of revenants (I know I must be playing slaughtermaps wrongly anyway, you are supposed to preserve ammo or make monsters infight). Finally, I don't align with the idea "Oh,. if I must be prepared for a surprise trap the first time I play a level, it's not good design" (except crushers. Crushers can go f*** themeselves). That's why I love Spelunky anyway :)