Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

Places to upload WADs

On 2/22/2020 at 4:15 AM, Doomkid said:

How do you download from DogSoft? It says "Downloading disabled!" when clicking on a file link. There was a workaround but that no longer works.

EDIT: I was informed that a launcher like Doom Explorer is required to download files. Not worth the hassle.

Edited by Mad Butcher

Hmm, I never realized that. Thanks for letting me know, Mad Butcher. I'll edit the OP accordingly!

EDIT: Looks like WadHosting has also officially died alongside Wad-Archive..

Damn, Doomshack is now the only place to upload wads that doesn't require an account or anything similar.. I better make sure it stays afloat and well maintained for a good while longer.

20 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Damn, Doomshack is now the only place to upload wads that doesn't require an account or anything similar.. I better make sure it stays afloat and well maintained for a good while longer.

Is there anything other users can do to help with that?

Well, not really, everything works as it needs to, but I just need to get more space which is gonna up the costs. There's paypal and patreon [killed it] buttons on the site if people want to help cover the costs, but I don't like asking people, I know money is tight for most as most as it is.

Not to threadjack, but out of curiosity, does anyone know a good application/hosting service that would automatically upload a file when it has been modified? Something like GitHub for binaries. I've been thinking a lot about this lately. I love researching prerelease versions of games (I dare say I do more of this than actually playing games nowadays) and went absolutely nuts when Romero released the Doom 2 map sources and we got backups of the maps from months before release, but I'm the worst at keeping my own backups during development. I know they're just pwads and not anything official, but we obsess over individual mappers' styles at times and if a lot of us started using a service like this for our wads in development, it could be pretty cool to go back to intermediate versions and see what changes were made.

That would be incredibly useful, I don't know if anything like that currently exists in the wad hosting sphere, but it's an interesting idea!

Hi, I don't know exactly where to post this question, so I chose this thread.
My question is if you can put the download link of a wad that refers to my personal page, from where it can be downloaded. Or if this is frowned upon by the community.
Thank you so much.

1 hour ago, AleDoom said:

Hi, I don't know exactly where to post this question, so I chose this thread.
My question is if you can put the download link of a wad that refers to my personal page, from where it can be downloaded. Or if this is frowned upon by the community.
Thank you so much.

I do it all the time. Never seen another member's face (other than DoomKid) so

I've never seen any frowning. I don't submit my maps/levels to the idgames

archive because I tend to wallop intellectual property rights which I read some

time ago is a sure way to get yer work deleted from the idgames archive. At least

that was the policy back when Ty was running it. If you don't end up posting your

personal page, would you pm it to me?

3 minutes ago, prfunky said:

I do it all the time. Never seen another member's face (other than DoomKid) so

I've never seen any frowning. I don't submit my maps/levels to the idgames

archive because I tend to wallop intellectual property rights which I read some

time ago is a sure way to get yer work deleted from the idgames archive. At least

that was the policy back when Ty was running it. If you don't end up posting your

personal page, would you pm it to me?

Thank you.

Yes, i will pm to you, thanks for the interest!.

I used to use google drive and recently archive.org to share my files but I decided to give doomshack.org a try.

I loaded two wads and it was super easy and super fast. I think I will use it often.

is it a no no to share zip files on the forums?

I just made some maps and was kinda really wanting someone to play them.

Edited by nocisum

On 9/15/2023 at 5:48 AM, DoomGuy999 said:

Are zipped midi files allowed? 

They are, at least on Doomshack!

On 9/19/2023 at 7:34 PM, Doomkid said:

They are, at least on Doomshack!

Thanks! Are you only looking for good wads on doomshack, because my 2nd wad is a challenge but it is stupid. I could upload stuff to doomshack but I was wondering if you want better quality.

I would also highly recommend Gamebanana as quite a desirable place to host your content. While there is definitely a sore lack of a Doom-centric community over there, it boasts much more robust features in comparison to ModDB, including but not limited to, ability to easily update your submissions and even host multiple downloads within the same submission, so you can easily keep all of the updated iterations of your mods without any hassle whatsoever.

I'm building a website dedicated to showcasing doom related projects on a modern website that will be visual, have advanced search functionality and will hopefully be the go to for Doom mods. The site is still under construction but is mostly done. Please join the official Facebook group to get involved from posting upcoming projects, discuss existing projects, and overall keep the modding community alive - https://www.facebook.com/groups/doomresource

On 2/22/2020 at 6:15 AM, Doomkid said:

Say, I have a few questions about wads hosted on Doomshack.org.

If I wanted a link to the download for my wad do I simply find the wad on Doomshack and copy the download link to it? Because when I do that the link just automatically downloads the file rather than doing it like Idgames and directing me to the idgames website before I click a button to download. I think it's intentional, but I would like to know if there was a different way of doing it.

Is the file hosted indefinitely, or is there a limit to how long you can host the file on the website?

I don't know if I missed it entirely or not, but I would appreciate a file search bar to help find specific files on the site.

On 12/5/2023 at 6:17 PM, Emperor S P O O N said:

Is the file hosted indefinitely...

Yes.

On 12/5/2023 at 6:17 PM, Emperor S P O O N said:

I don't know if I missed it entirely or not, but I would appreciate a file search bar to help find specific files on the site.

There's a page with a list of all the uploaded files: https://doomshack.org/wadlist.php