Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
qweqioweuo123

Does any port do raytracing yet?

With all those remakes like Quake 2 RTX.. how about original Doom with raytracing? the "banned remake" had some sort of ray tracing emulation and looked kinda cool. I think its called path tracing. Any port can do that?

im not sure where this is from

Edited by qweqioweuo123

8 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Doom RTX is bogus stuff that works with Reshade afaik.

You are looking for DoomTracer based om Chocolate Doom.

those fps gave me vietnam flashbacks from trying to play doom in a 286

1 hour ago, qweqioweuo123 said:

those fps gave me vietnam flashbacks from trying to play doom in a 286

Well yeah, it is doing raytraced reflections and shadows on the processor, so the performance is as such.

6 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Well yeah, it is doing raytraced reflections and shadows on the processor, so the performance is as such.

ironically it looks worse than the fake ray tracing of the fisrt vide

Just now, qweqioweuo123 said:

ironically it looks worse than the fake ray tracing of the fisrt vide

That's because real time raytracing usually is grainy because it is not denoised. Denoising is incredibly intensive, so much so that the RTX cards do these on specialized cores.

DoomTracer was made way before the advent of RTX cards, so it uses the CPU without denoising. You can tell however that it is raytracing, static shadows do look really natural.

On 2/23/2020 at 7:28 PM, Redneckerz said:

That's because real time raytracing usually is grainy because it is not denoised. Denoising is incredibly intensive, so much so that the RTX cards do these on specialized cores.

DoomTracer was made way before the advent of RTX cards, so it uses the CPU without denoising. You can tell however that it is raytracing, static shadows do look really natural.

so which ports can make doom look like the video i posted? why isnt that route explored? looks neat

10 minutes ago, qweqioweuo123 said:

so which ports can make doom look like the video i posted?

This is the prior thread.

Its GZDoom with texture packs and graphic patches + Reshade. There is nothing fancy about it.

10 minutes ago, qweqioweuo123 said:

why isnt that route explored? looks neat

Primarly because Doom due to its inherit nature is not great for raytracing. DoomTracer itself relies on a custom renderer and manually placed lights to enable the reflection, refraction and shadow effects, and even that only has a subtle (but natural!) effect at best.

On 2/27/2020 at 9:30 PM, Redneckerz said:

This is the prior thread.

Its GZDoom with texture packs and graphic patches + Reshade. There is nothing fancy about it.

Primarly because Doom due to its inherit nature is not great for raytracing. DoomTracer itself relies on a custom renderer and manually placed lights to enable the reflection, refraction and shadow effects, and even that only has a subtle (but natural!) effect at best.

Where can I get the reshade part only? 3d models and other effects are kind lame. I mean, what I like is the bump mapping efffect etc.