Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DynamiteKaitorn

The Mis-Adventures of Dynamite: Vanilla! [V1.2 - NOW WITH LESS VANILLA CRASHING! :D]

That looks actually really great and unique. I like that screenshot with the fountain. Gotta try this sooner or later.

I'm glad you released this project! I love the style your going for with nice pastel colors 
Will be playing asap!

Played through this on Skill 4 and some good and not so good things:

+ Love the cute art style

+ Good music choice(I recognized that Black Stone E1M1 tune on map 11)

+ Pretty cool Dehacked job with all the monsters & certain decorations and the harmless wandering butterflies in the epilogue map was a neat touch.

+ Difficulty progression had a "Chex Quest" feel for it considering that there are only 5 normal monsters, one harmless "decoration" monster and one boss monster.

- Using the stock Doom monster & weapon sounds feel out of place with the art style and should be replaced with maybe something cartoony to fit in better.

- Map 04 is WAY too dark >_>

- Map 08 is too lazy and feels like you can do better compare to the other maps.

- A tad bit short as it only took me nearly 40 minutes to beat it.

- Boss on Map 12 can just be skip by just hitting the exit switch before she can appear. May I suggest using the Monster/thing code pointer that uses the KeenDie frame if possible so its require to beat it before you can exit.

Despite the above criticisms and suggestions, I had some fun playing through this little TC vanilla wad :) 

Here are my first impressions

It looks awesome. I really like the purple sky in Map 02. It's really interesting. 

The gameplay is alright i guess. I had fun playing it. 

The only problems i had is that map 04 is really dark and the sprite for the pistol is really small and it's been bothering me quite a bit for maybe try to make it a little bit bigger.

Overall, it's an okay wad. 

On 2/25/2020 at 4:17 PM, Philnemba said:

- Using the stock Doom monster & weapon sounds feel out of place with the art style and should be replaced with maybe something cartoony to fit in better.

That seems to be a problem on ZDoom ports. The sound effects will work as intended on Chocolate\Crispy.

1 hour ago, Noiser said:

That seems to be a problem on ZDoom ports. The sound effects will work as intended on Chocolate\Crispy.

Are you sure? I'm playing on Doom Retro but almost all sound effects are still Classic Doom's.

As for the wad itself, it's pretty good, but the level quality wasn't very consistent (in particular MAP04 and MAP08 didn't feel as good as the rest of the maps), and the weapon sprites need some improvement. But there's definitely some potential here, keep up the good work!

On 2/26/2020 at 5:20 PM, -TDRR- said:

Are you sure? I'm playing on Doom Retro but almost all sound effects are still Classic Doom's.

So it's boom-related I guess? It may not look like it, but Doom Retro is also very different from vanilla ports.

Edited by Noiser

Finally got around to playing through this and I had a blast. The solid pastel colors gave me an almost Easter like feeling throughout the whole wad (if that makes any sense) and I just loved the vibe. I will say that the static areas have the potential to really mess with someone who has a slight propensity towards seizures or motion sickness such as myself. I just turned my screen brightness way down for those bits to get through them, they didn't last long (just the end of map09 and the boss fight I think).

I personally don't give a hoot about stuff like this, but if you censored the nips on the little imprisoned Dynamites on the boss map (just by removing them/coloring them solid grey like the rest) then this could easily be added to the list of "kid friendly" wads. I mean like I said, I already think it is, but you know how some people are. The short levels and happy music make this a sure winner for not only kid Doomers, but especially for fans of DoomCute, fans of oldschool TCs and fans of simple, easy fun. The tough weapons and relatively weak enemies can lull you into a false sense of security though - there were about 3 ambushes where my health took a big hit and I realized I needed to keep on my toes the whole way through!

Anyway, this is a great wad.

Found a bug (?) on map 11: in the rooms with beds and windows, its possible to get on the bed, and through the window. From there, it's impossible to get back in-bounds. Unless you jump, which you shouldn't be able to in vanilla!

Been playing it, sincerely, i love the approach you take on this TC.
Sillier but dark underneat.

Hope you can continue working on this, as it is trully a work of passion and love.